Fyi, Opioid Pain Management = No Medical Marijuana.

swamper

My mom had three failed back surgeries and became addicted to OxyContin. It was awful. It influenced her bridge game and mental processes. She found as effective or better pain relief from topical mmj and methadone. She also was able after switching to methadone to regain her prowess at the competitive duplicate bridge game she loved.

Topical oils weren't suitable for total relief, but it made a big difference and it won't make you test positive for mmj.

Regardless, and I think I can speak for everyone here, I hope you can find relief for you arthritis. Best regards. oitc

Just a quick comment from a pharmacist, methadone is the hardest narcotic to withdraw from. Something about getting into the bone and takes a long time to clear.  It is cheap and long acting but not what you want to be on if you plan to ever kick the habit.

Just a quick comment from a pharmacist, methadone is the hardest narcotic to withdraw from. Something about getting into the bone and takes a long time to clear.  It is cheap and long acting but not what you want to be on if you plan to ever kick the habit.

What are the consequences of long term pure opioid (heroin, methadone, plain opium) use? Don't say "addiction". Addiction won't kill you, but are there physical changes that will eventually bring about a person's death just from use?

liver failure, kidney failure, jaundice, stomache ulcer(terminal), paralyzation of the breathing muscles (suffocation), constipation... google oxycontin long term side effects

i should say that these might be the side effects of the aspirin they add to the painkillers. pure morphine or opium might not have the same problems. its only when they add this bunny muffin to prevent abuse is when it all comes crashing down.

Re: pain management, I began home traction for my neck and lumbar spine several weeks ago, and the results are quite good. Beforehand I had asked PM&R doctors about it. They, for the very most part, steered me away from it, one going so far as to say that patients would screw things up if they are not closely supervised. The fact is that it is a low cost treatment, and the conventional wisdom is that there is no money to be made by pharma, physicians, and physical therapists, all of whom did damm little for me, while making loads of money.

I began too aggressively, using a twenty five dollar neck device, and modified it a little to permit treatment for my low back so I can use it for both. I began using fourteen pounds and only when the pain had already flared up. Now I've backed it down to eight pounds and use it for no more than twenty minutes and do NOT wait till the pain becomes extreme, because that causes more harm than good. This has helped me immensely. I no longer need the amount of drugs I used prior, to include cannabis, and I am a much more happy man.

http://wishingwellmedicalsupply.com/mainSite/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/cervical-traction-device.jpg

Edited by GregS

GregRx, Thanks for the methadone information. My mom was nearly ninety and had used Oxy for maybe four or five years when her doc switched to Methadone. At her age we never considered addiction. Altogether she was on methadone maybe nine years before she died at 99. She was lucid and herself until the last couple days. It was a blessing, considering.

Meanwhile, the parking lot at the Harbortown Clinic is always full.

Was reading about JFK who had regular (daily) methamphetamine injections for his back pain. How the world was changed by Reagan's 'War on Some Drugs'.