How Do I Become A Caregiver?

Roosevelt

No attorney needed you cant have a assault or drug felony on your record and all you would need to do is find a person looking for a caregiver in your specific area then you fill out a form with him naming you caregiver and send it to Lansing we have a classifieds section here where you can place an ad for $5 all proceeds go towards server fees for the websites upkeep.

You get to grow 12 plants for each patient you can also grow for yourself with 5 patients you max out at 70 plants total  clones are counted as one plant in your count.

Your growing space needs to be under lock and key and nobody but you can be in that area you can only provide medicine to those registered to you through the states Marijuana registry.

You are allowed to possess 2.5 ounces for each card you hold with 5 patients and a personal patient card the maximum weight allowed is 15 ounces  if you deliver to your patient you must have a case to keep the medicine in the trunk of your vehicle and your patient needs to do the same  carry your patient cards on all deliveries for each specific patient then put them in a safe place until the next time they call needing medicine.

Last   but not least even though you are legal be discreet and don't tell anyone about your grow .

read the actual law here http://michigan.gov/mmp

although you should be warned to read the law as would the most anti-marijuana prohibitionist republican conservative judge would read the law. because thats who gets to interpret the law for us laymen.

so if you see the part that says enclosed area to grow plants, you should read it to mean enclosed on all sides, roof/top included. and locked at all times, with dual automatic locking doors.

you lol all you want. but it's how pharmacies that deal with schedule 1/2 drugs operate.

by automatic I just mean a door that locks when you close it, and a automatic closing hinge. that way there's no forgetting to lock a door...

would have saved many people from trouble if they had an auto closing/locking door.

T-pain has a point about self-lacking doors but like illegal transport, there are no guaranteed protections if a grower (or driver) has the authorities at the door (or car window). Avoiding any encounter with the plant police is the essential starting point for any caregiver or patient.

But that is just the starting point. It is unrealistic to be a successful caregiver unless you ALREADY know how to grow medical grade cannabis. That is the second essential step. If you don't know, don't try to grow for someone else.

And most importantly, be aware that being a successful caregiver is not a door to untold wealth. Being a legal caregiver is really hard work, requires some engineering, chemical and electrical expertise, and the per-hour pay is the equivalent of a minimum wage job.

Edited by outsideinthecold

I was not lol'ing at you or the idea of a auto locking door.  Rather I thought you were making a tongue in cheek comment.

It is absurd imo to think we would need such a thing.

I agree that some may have been spared with such a locking mechanism.

I believe that in the end an auto locking door would suffice to prove only that my intent was to have a locked grow space.

If leo wants in, that door won't stop them.

Is there any requirement that "the patient's plants" be kept separate from the caregiver's plants where the caregiver is also a patient with no caregiver?

not as far as i've seen, as long as you are the only one who can access them.

if your patient has access to them, that means that he/she would have access to more than the 12 plants he/she would be allowed to possess. and thus in violation.

the attorney general bill schuette said all sets of plants must be seperated and locked up. so...

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2010s/op10338.htm

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, Initiated Law 1 of 2008, MCL 333.26421 et seq, prohibits the joint cooperative cultivation or sharing of marihuana plants because each patient's plants must be grown and maintained in a separate enclosed, locked facility that is only accessible to the registered patient or the patient's registered primary caregiver.

safe, safer, safest.

whats the safest thing to do? all plants locked up seperately.

figure out what works best for you.

Is there any requirement that "the patient's plants" be kept separate from the caregiver's plants where the caregiver is also a patient with no caregiver?

Our awesome attorney general came out with an opinion years back that the plants should be kept separated and each patients 12 plants should be in its own space with a lock but theres nothing currently written into the standing law mandating anyone do this.

well if pooooleese come a knocking and you let them in... is your house now locked or unlocked?

if you let anyone else in your house, are they now in "collective possession" of the plants?

i mean, this has come up in multiple cases, specifically people v king and people v mazur.

the cops will say one door wasnt unlocked (except you can tell they broke the door bashing it in). these cases made it all the way to the supreme court with such police testimony...

its up to you, but also, whats it like a $15 doorknob and $20 spring-loaded door closer?

thats cheaper than a lawyer any day.

Can a current registered Patient, who has No Caregiver, designate themselves as their own Primary CareGiver at anytime by following a few steps on the Patient Change Form?

In the Add New Caregiver section, add myself as my caregiver?

In the Change of Plant Possession, do I check the box I will possess the plants or do we leave that box alone? 

Keep it under lock and key. Check!

T pain, The link above for the 2015 rule changes pdf doesn't work. Where can I find the most recent rules? The link in the pdf from lara doesn't work. Thanks for all the help.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I want to have the answers before I start doing this, not after the fact. My intent is to assist medical marijuana card holders with their medical marijuana for the purposes under the law. I'm not some yahoo trying to get rich, I'm not looking to deal drugs, or anything like that.

My intent is to help qualified patients get medical marijuana affordably without going broke, to help people who are licensed under the state avoid the addiction that comes from prescription medications, to avoid the health problems associated with prescription medications.

I like gardening period and I'm big into natural healing, and if growing weed can help folks improve their health and save money legally, I'm all for it.

here are the old rules

http://w3.lara.state.mi.us/orrsearch/1213_2013-045LR_AdminCode.pdf

here are the new rules

http://w3.lara.state.mi.us/orr/Files\AdminCode\1303_2013-105LR_AdminCode.pdf

here is the old Frequently asked questions page, it is not on LARA page because it has outdated info about forms and prices. also its pretty much worthless anyhow.

http://www.mi.gov/documents/lara/lara_MMP_FAQ_6-28-13_426011_7.pdf

• 2 months later...

Yes, a patient can have a caregiver but still retain the twelve plants. However, in this case the caregiver will not be allowed any plants on behalf of the patient.

See Rule 333.115 15.(1)

An alternative is for the patient to become the caregiver and the caregiver to become the patient and the patient to become the caregiver's caregiver.

Simple as 'Who's whose on first'.

Abbott and Costello, meet LARA, a new comedy act. Or maybe a tragicomedy act is more appropriate.

Edited by outsideinthecold