How Long Can I Store Cannabis? 100 Years According To Nih.

this question comes up every once in a while to new patients.

heres the answers , new patients!

Stability of cannabinoids in dried samples of cannabis dating from around 1896-1905.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2314109

Abstract

Cannabinoids from three samples of cannabis obtained from the Pitt-Rivers Museum, Oxford, and dating from the turn of the century were examined by gas chromatography and mass spectometry for the presence of cannabinoids. Although the samples were from different geographical locations, the profiles of constituent cannabinoids were similar.

In common with other aged material, most of the cannabinoid content was present as cannabinol (CBN), the main chemical degradation product of the major psychoactive constituent, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC). However, a substantial concentration of CBN acid-A was also present; this compound is unstable to heat and readily undergoes decarboxylation to CBN. Methyl and propyl homologues of CBN, together with delta-9-THC and its naturally occurring acid-A were also found at low concentrations in all samples.

Intermediates in the formation of CBN from delta-9-THC, previously identified in aged solutions of the drug, were absent or present in only trace concentrations. However, oxidation products involving hydroxylation at the benzylic positions, C-11 and C-1', not seen in solution, were identified in substantial abundance. The results suggest that decomposition of cannabis samples may proceed more slowly than originally thought.

still has thc after nearly 100 years. store it in a cool, dry , dark place , preferably air tight mason jars or similar. although bud does dry out, it can be rehydrated later so some extent. its better to dry out than to mold though, make sure to properly cure your bud!

something newer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6643

J Pharm Pharmacol. 1976 Jan;28(1):1-7.

The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage.

Fairbairn JW, Liebmann JA, Rowan MG.

Abstract

Solutions of pure cannabinoids, nine samples of herbal and two of resin cannabis (one freshly prepared) were stored in varying conditions for up to 2 years. Exposure to light (not direct sunlight) was shown to be the greatest single factos in loss of cannabinoids especially in solutions, which should therefore be protected from light during analytical and phytochemical operations. Previous claims that solutions in ethanol were stable have not been substantiated. The effect of temperature, up to 20 degrees, was insignificant but air oxidation did lead to significant losses. These could be reduced if care was taken to minimize damage to the glands which act as "well filled, well closed containers". Loss of tetrahydrocannabinol after exposure to light does not lead to an increase in cannabinol, but air oxidation in the dark does. It is concluded that carefully prepared herbal or resin cannabis or extracts are reasonably stable for 1 to 2 years if stored in the dark at room temperature.

in case you are wondering about potency, not just silly thc numbers, here is a study done in 1918 on dogs, comparing different samples of extracts.

THE STABILITY OF CANNABIS SATIVA AND ITS EXTRACTS. BY HERBERT C. HAMILTON.

which you can read it here

https://books.google.com/books?id=5GZEAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA333&ots=kbccdltSK3&dq=%22A%20recent%20publication%20by%20Eckler%22%20regarding%20the%20deterioration%20of&pg=PA333#v=onepage&q=%22A%20recent%20publication%20by%20Eckler%22%20regarding%20the%20deterioration%20of&f=false

where a 14 year old bottle of cannabis extract still had 70% power to intoxicate the dog compared to the 9 year old "standard" extract the lab had been using. it is assumed that the 14 year old bottle had the same power as the 9 year old standard , when it was first produced, although they did not test this. its not very scientific in that guess.

but it does say one thing clear, the 14 year old extract still gets dogs high. thats good enough for me.

in case you are wondering about potency, not just silly thc numbers, here is a study done in 1918 on dogs, comparing different samples of extracts.

THE STABILITY OF CANNABIS SATIVA AND ITS EXTRACTS. BY HERBERT C. HAMILTON.

which you can read it here

https://books.google.com/books?id=5GZEAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA333&ots=kbccdltSK3&dq=%22A%20recent%20publication%20by%20Eckler%22%20regarding%20the%20deterioration%20of&pg=PA333#v=onepage&q=%22A%20recent%20publication%20by%20Eckler%22%20regarding%20the%20deterioration%20of&f=false

where a 14 year old bottle of cannabis extract still had 70% power to intoxicate the dog compared to the 9 year old "standard" extract the lab had been using. it is assumed that the 14 year old bottle had the same power as the 9 year old standard , when it was first produced, although they did not test this. its not very scientific in that guess.

but it does say one thing clear, the 14 year old extract still gets dogs high. thats good enough for me.

Woof Woof Woof!

Peace

I found a pot stash in a musical instrument case that was there since the late 60's. It was really bad.

Found a stash under the carpet in a rental remodel that had been there since the 80's. It was really bad too.

Maybe they were bad to start with? Sure were NASTY. 

Had some extract in the freezer since 2009. It's perfect. 

sure old buds last but how does it taste and feel to a person using it.

My group prefers fresh harvested dried buds.  We like fresh dried basil too, as opposed to old dried basil, even if its rehydrated :sick:

I prefer mine used within 2 weeks of harvest.    old bud=old tired buzz, ioo

Are you referring to basil , bud , or both ? :))

Edited by knucklehead bob

No "cure" ? There are those that believe that the cure/dry process is everything .

great question !  I learned the "curing" process is loosely borrowed from the age old tobacco farmers. That plant is fertilized to the day before harvest. Smoking that build up would cause much respiratory distress.  If I grew my cannabis that way I would insist on a cure also, a chance  for the chems to degrade over time, sugars to subside, and chlorophyll to dissipate.  If my supply was harvested early, or power dried I'd want it cured for awhile too, for similar reasons. Fresh cannabis doesnt cause the same effect as dried cannabis, and "long dried, jarred "cannabis causes different effects than short dried we all know.  Basal Salts ferts could be more troublesome than organically available compost when detecting chems. I dont think chelators taste to good, especially fresh.

Of course respect is due to anyone claiming they prefer there herbs old dried, or new dried, as this is a personal choice.  I know that my desired effects diminish with time as the aged cannabis becomes useless to me.   Jarring moist cannabis causes near instant fermentation. Some users relate this pissy smell to good smoke, while some recognize the pissy pocket smelling herb as feeble attempt to "cure"  . First time growers seem to concern themselves with "curing" more than ones with years experience, and mold cannot occur on my drying rack, but it surely will present in a jar, burped or not, according to mold spore count cards in the jar. I dont experiment with this anymore, glad I found my personal bliss.

I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed a sample claimed to have been cured as much as I enjoyed a same strain sample dried according to Jorge Cervantes recommendations.  My cannabis sees a jar only when I run out of room on my drying rack. The driest of bud goes to a jar, but not for long, a few weeks tops. The herb is dried properly and ready for long term storage without mold worries by that point. the jars are just another safe spot to keep my buds until used, but generally I "shop" directly out of my dry rack until buds are gone.

To each his own surely. the techniques practiced by me may only be good for myself and my patient registry. I'm not stepping on anybody's toes for jarring their herb to make it better or smoother, but would like consideration for the growing techniques that accomplish the same result without sealing up we herb for the cure.

Edited by grassmatch

Too dry makes it all crunchy and the buds get all messed up. Keeping it in a jar is the only way I know of to keep the buds nice and intact like little Christmas trees. I watch my jars like a hawk. That's an important part of my Plant Manager job, adjusting the buds to keep the right amount of 'usable' available. I bring it into the 'usable' category just as it is needed. We are teaching the local law enforcement and prosecutor what usable is one jury at a time. 

Not to say some here are spoiled but us old folk know any mj is better than no mj.

Hitchiked to FL on xmas break in 1971. Got paranoid outside of Gatlinburg TN when a local cop cruised by a couple times and hid my stash at the base of a stop sign. Six month later drove pass the place. Found the crumpled Baggie, dirty and had some green slime on the outside. Stuff inside was dry and powdered.

Not that great before and six months outside didn't!t improve the taste or flavor but........

Still better than not having any.

Not to say some here are spoiled but us old folk know any mj is better than no mj.

Hitchiked to FL on xmas break in 1971. Got paranoid outside of Gatlinburg TN when a local cop cruised by a couple times and hid my stash at the base of a stop sign. Six month later drove pass the place. Found the crumpled Baggie, dirty and had some green slime on the outside. Stuff inside was dry and powdered.

Not that great before and six months outside didn't!t improve the taste or flavor but........

Still better than not having any.

I was a kid 8yrs old, already smoking and drinking!

Hippies lived across the street,,,,,,,Memory's

Peace

Hey man, I hadn't vacuumed my shag carpet since '71 and after reading this post I got out my Hoover. Smoked the whole vacuum bag (to be fair it was only half full)  and got a nice little buzz! Tasty too, with flavors reminiscent of pizza, budweiser, and cat tinkle.

Seriously, tinkle? P-ss is censored??

great question !  I learned the "curing" process is loosely borrowed from the age old tobacco farmers. That plant is fertilized to the day before harvest. Smoking that build up would cause much respiratory distress.  If I grew my cannabis that way I would insist on a cure also, a chance  for the chems to degrade over time, sugars to subside, and chlorophyll to dissipate.  If my supply was harvested early, or power dried I'd want it cured for awhile too, for similar reasons. Fresh cannabis doesnt cause the same effect as dried cannabis, and "long dried, jarred "cannabis causes different effects than short dried we all know.  Basal Salts ferts could be more troublesome than organically available compost when detecting chems. I dont think chelators taste to good, especially fresh.

Of course respect is due to anyone claiming they prefer there herbs old dried, or new dried, as this is a personal choice.  I know that my desired effects diminish with time as the aged cannabis becomes useless to me.   Jarring moist cannabis causes near instant fermentation. Some users relate this pissy smell to good smoke, while some recognize the pissy pocket smelling herb as feeble attempt to "cure"  . First time growers seem to concern themselves with "curing" more than ones with years experience, and mold cannot occur on my drying rack, but it surely will present in a jar, burped or not, according to mold spore count cards in the jar. I dont experiment with this anymore, glad I found my personal bliss.

I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed a sample claimed to have been cured as much as I enjoyed a same strain sample dried according to Jorge Cervantes recommendations.  My cannabis sees a jar only when I run out of room on my drying rack. The driest of bud goes to a jar, but not for long, a few weeks tops. The herb is dried properly and ready for long term storage without mold worries by that point. the jars are just another safe spot to keep my buds until used, but generally I "shop" directly out of my dry rack until buds are gone.

To each his own surely. the techniques practiced by me may only be good for myself and my patient registry. I'm not stepping on anybody's toes for jarring their herb to make it better or smoother, but would like consideration for the growing techniques that accomplish the same result without sealing up we herb for the cure.

Thanks , glad I ain't the only one . I use it as it is harvested and have had no complaints .  :)

Seriously, tinkle? P-ss is censored??

the cuss filter is making whoopee cool,  we cant call people donkey holes, or flower heads, or dip defecates, flower weed!  It can be entertaining, of course you can always just do a space like s hit!

Peace

Most c.g's and pt growers use it when it is dried, I like to do some curing if I have enough, I find it to be smoother and easier on my lungs, of course if I would quit nasty arse tobacco it probably wouldnt effect me as much, im hoping I quit before I have my 1stt heart attack or get on oxygen!

smoking cigs is so stupid, cost to much, dont do nothing for me, well makes me normal, its a habbit that has no bennifits, no buzz!  I wish I never started smoking cigs!

Peace

sure old buds last but how does it taste and feel to a person using it.

My group prefers fresh harvested dried buds.  We like fresh dried basil too, as opposed to old dried basil, even if its rehydrated :sick:

I prefer mine used within 2 weeks of harvest.    old bud=old tired buzz, ioo

2 weeks is a bit quick but I agree fresher is better.  Have you tried vacuum sealing in mason jars?  Stays great, even thru winter, without drying out.