30 Days No C02 Sealed Room

trichcycler

I had some outdoor construction recently. Guys working all day in the yard. I turned off the c02 unit during their 30 days of work. The unit produces humidity and heat, which require added dehumidifying and cooling. Not a problem for me here usually but I didn't want anyone to hear the cycling on and off.   I did my garden chores in the early mornings before they arrived, and the garden often was "off" by the time they left daily.  I was successful in eliminating the noises of plants growing and never had to answer for the noise. I'm sure the workers knew, but they never mentioned it, only their own marijuana use was evident, hopefully not mine(yeah, right)  Seems us patients can recognize each other sometimes.

I normally produce c02 for 12 lights on hours daily and have experience in the pas using no c02, just not for a month at a time.

I see cannabis will grow with only the c02 produced by composting soil pots and my own work exhale of course. I also sense my normal indoor odors were diminishing a little even with the same stinky selections going on all year prior. The end product is fine according to my patients.

Using a refractometer I saw the effects within two days of no c02. Metabolism slowed, leaves burned sugars slower, buds were a little less developed and terpenes profiles were changed, according to my senses. Many of the finishing plants were already tipped over unable to support themselves and their hefty buds, an issue I don't have to deal with too often. Normally the grow bag that tips for me before the plant stalks bend over. = weaker stalks

Water consumption increased requiring res fills more often than normal.  I know c02 production increases indoor humidity in a big way. My running temps remain the (controlled) same and  the overall production  was diminished. I don't care two cents about yields but quality is paramount here. 

Growing cannabis from start to finish offers an experience not had from the use of its yield. Patients often don't recognize small changes in finished product while a grower, intimately involved with the plant may sense more subtle differences caused by changes.

This could explain why nobody else had a complaint....while  I'm sure I will never shut my c02 down again.  I saved 25 dollars in propane last month!    woohooo!

My c02 production affords me a heavier harvest, with more developed flowers, off the charts terpene production, stronger healthier tastier plants. Makes sense if plants will grow only to their weakest resource. I keep my c02 between 1000 and 1500ppm in the room just to assure each leaf has access to its natural demand of 400 ppm in the room. Outdoors ambient is 400ppm, but the air around every plant bit is constantly recycled and moved, a difficult feat in a closed atmosphere.

c02 necessary?   it is for my application experience. it may not be for yours  :stuff:

Thanks for the info, grass. Once when I was extra down on my luck and cash, I rigged up a nice hobo co2 system. 2 liter bottles, sugar, water, and some yeast. Not effecient, but it got me through and you could clearly tell the plants closest to the bottles.

when my card came I had a whole room in a maze with grow tents of different sizes. I make wine too and always did the same in my flowering plants. No way to measure or anything, but the difference was obvious as you said. Patients could benefit from a little sugar/yeast water in a ballooned/bottle. If its not going to be made into wine simple bread yeast will do. if incarcerated I hear bread yeast will make fine wine.

I see you said closed room.  So that means you were not fully replacing your grow room air every 5 minutes?

actually sealed, as best as it could be by me. The first year in the outdoor building I utilized a freaky in/out ventilation of the lights, as well as a scheduled exchange of fresh air. I didn't like the condensation in the winter and decided to seal it up.

I have one "emergency" exhaust with a stink sock on it. Its set to go on @ room temp 90f. It has never cycled that way. I have used it to evacuate a c02 bomb one year, to eradicate those btards thrips=successful. I cycled the fan until the c02 was down to 1500 and resumed work. I did that once.

No, I do not purposely exchange air in my grow room. Occasionally I'll leave the secondary garden door open when going in and out for a minute. It does bum me out a bit when the ac unit is running on a brisk day, or all day long on a cool summer day. But it is what it is. I have never experienced mites in there, and nobody smells anything. Its been a wonderful full time grow season since 2011, I wont use ventilation again in there. The electric bill remains constant +-25$ during all seasons, no surprises. Inside air is full time scrubbed by two massive cans, outside of the room air is conditioned with an ion generator, stink sock, and full time exhaust/air movement.