Infrared Light Exposure Question.

I was tossing around the idea of getting a security camera to put in my grow room, to observe it when I'm not in it, most of the cameras have infrared LED's that illuminate in the dark so the camera has visibility, my question is this, would the infrared output from those LED's mess up the dark cycle of my ladies???

Hey grass, I looked up Lorex on good ol' Amazon, they have a lot of options, I was planning on just doing one camera for the GR but maybe I'll just outfit the house with them, I've always wanted cameras, and I can't think of a better time than now. Actually what I want to do is build a 15 foot high wall, all the way around my property with a heavy gate at the front, I could put concertina wire around the top of it, I'd never have to worry about trespassers or jehovahs witnesses!

Hey grass, I looked up Lorex on good ol' Amazon, they have a lot of options, I was planning on just doing one camera for the GR but maybe I'll just outfit the house with them, I've always wanted cameras, and I can't think of a better time than now. Actually what I want to do is build a 15 foot high wall, all the way around my property with a heavy gate at the front, I could put concertina wire around the top of it, I'd never have to worry about trespassers or jehovahs witnesses!

And make Schuette pay for it.

D Trump

if you're looking to do that I'd suggest spending a little more on a better system, maybe one that integrates both wired and

wireless cams as needed. Wired is much more reliable than the lorex wireless. On a budget though they work great, like a good baby monitor though.

I just want a couple of cameras in hallway areas. Wireless that will work on batteries and stream to the cloud. Anyone have suggestions for not real expensive ones?

battery operated wifi will pry you on this one. those things cost around 400 bucks. alarm clocks, teddy bears, etc

is cloud use free ?

Edited by grassmatch

battery operated wifi will pry you on this one. those things cost around 400 bucks. alarm clocks, teddy bears, etc

is cloud use free ?

Cloud use would be the least of the cost. Lots of space & bandwidth on a web hosting account, or can use Amazon S3, Google or some very low cost cloud services, virtual servers, etc. No need to store weeks worth of data.

No teddy bears. I want any cameras to be obvious! Preferably with popping noises, flashing lights, and the sounds of hungry wolves.

Cloud use would be the least of the cost. Lots of space & bandwidth on a web hosting account, or can use Amazon S3, Google or some very low cost cloud services, virtual servers, etc. No need to store weeks worth of data.

No teddy bears. I want any cameras to be obvious! Preferably with popping noises, flashing lights, and the sounds of hungry wolves.

The ones from Harbor Freight work good and are cheap. I had to replace one after about 4 years of constant usage. 

I have been told repeatedly and quite adamantly; do NOT use wireless.

Hard wired is the way.

Friend of mine is a PI and has this little device which allows him to

see everything your camera is seeing right in the palm of his hand.

If he could order it off the internet... I wonder just what leo might have

available.

just sayin.

I have been told repeatedly and quite adamantly; do NOT use wireless.

Hard wired is the way.

Friend of mine is a PI and has this little device which allows him to

see everything your camera is seeing right in the palm of his hand.

If he could order it off the internet... I wonder just what leo might have

available.

just sayin.

Right. wifi is not your friend. Baby monitors are hacked all the time. It's been on the news a lot. 

I saw on the news a website where subscribers go to view and upload hacked baby monitors, wireless cam feeds etc. I'm guessing if someone is investigating me, and can or cant find a cam feed, they wouldn't stop there....

Pretty soon I'd have tack size cams in my toilet mint monitoring my every movement :P

It's just that wireless is easily seen by anyone who wants to and wired is not. Wired is a no brainer if you don't want someone else easily looking at your video real time. Unless you are some kind of video exhibitionist don't use wireless. 

are multiple ones able to be hooked up to a single television without a "system"? I saw those recently and that's a good price

Most TV's have half a dozen inputs. If that's not enough then you would have to use A B type splitters. There are some really cheap monitors with split screen capibility out there with 12 or more inputs. 

thanks resto, exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping one could go to the accessory, while another to the dvd, etc.

also anyone using wireless routers can set their security pretty easily. An encrypted communication is very difficult for anyone to bust, when each device must have a registered code(30 characters) matching the one in the router. (wea2?) anyways google provides great resources on the subject.

also, burn this on a cd and look out!  this is the one cops have used. enjoy. http://securitystartshere.org/page-training-oswa-assistant.htm#moocherhunter 

for the record, nobody has ever attempted use of my wireless systems/wifi here or at any other home I lived in, or office I rented. The security settings are usually ignored by home users, but they are accessible and easy to preset.  stay safe

Edited by grassmatch

Leaving aside baby monitors, most wireless security issues are a matter of configuration. And wired communications are not without potential problems and security breaches either, based on how the whole network is configured and protected, including one's host (Verizon or Comcast or whoever owns that last mile). And let's not forget nation-state level hacking into, oh let's say Juniper routers.

And now some gummint folks are clamouring for Apple to build in ways to override the obviously well-built privacy & security mechanisms in their devices. (Thankfully they are strongly resisting. Interestingly, it is likely that based on Scalia 4th Amendment related rulings that he would have side with Apple.)

Edited by zachw