Vape Oil That Is Cut With Coconut Oil

HarveyWallbanger

one of my patients went to dispencary and picked up vape oil cut with coconut oil and reading this can cause lipnod numonioa why is a bussness selling somthing that would harm someone. I use pure CO2 extracted oil only and told my patiennt not to smoke any info would be helpful but from what I've read this is dangerous.

Good one Harvey! I was just about to post when you beat me to it.

They probably weren't sure how to thin it out and were looking for an "organic" solution. As someone whose lungs are next to worthless anyway I would advise against inhaling any sort of fat.

Lipid pneumonia or lipoid pneumonia is a specific form of lung inflammation (pneumonia) that develops when lipids enter the bronchial tree. The disorder is sometimes called cholesterol pneumonia in cases where that lipid is a factor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_pneumonia

I received a cartridge for my vape pen in a freebie bag at an event last year.

Curious, I tried it and it tasted wonderful, vaped well and had the desired effects.

I too was concerned as the label read "contains coconut oil".

I called the number on the package to inquire further and the

# was no longer in service.

Not knowing if it is safe to vape c'nut oil (my instincts said no) or not,  I discontinued

use and tossed the cart in the trash.

I will say that it was very, very smooth to vape. 

It would be nice to have the science on this.

People please beware of what you are buying (or getting in those goody bags).

It would be nice to have the science on this.

here ya go! :P

Lipid pneumonia or lipoid pneumonia is a specific form of lung inflammation (pneumonia) that develops when lipids enter the bronchial tree. The disorder is sometimes called cholesterol pneumonia in cases where that lipid is a factor.

I thought their were lipids in cannabis, maybe some plant based lipids are ok? I don't know just thinking out loud.

If you were to extract the lipids into a pool, and dab it, you'd risk getting sick as described. Coconut oil is a lipid.

however if saponated as in soap production, the byproduct may be safe??. Glycerin, a byproduct of soap production, is a sweet syrupy trihydroxy alcohol obtained by saponification of fats and oil and is said to be safe to inhale industry says.

Beyond the possibility of oil aspiration (droplets of oil getting into your lungs) leading to chemical pneumonitis, the mixture could be producing toxic fumes depending on the vap temp. The smoke point of coconut oil is 177C (350F), which is the point when it starts producing toxic fumes. The combustion point of cannabis is 392F, with optimal vaping temps around 320F-390F. Not a very good idea making vap products with coconut oil. Even if you could hit that small temperature range, your still taking a chance on oil aspiration. Propylene glycol is very similar to the lipid glycerol (phospholipid) and is commonly used in e-cigs, but completely different than fatty acid lipids.

• 4 years later...

I think it's terrible that people deliberately harm their health.. sometimes a high of 5 minutes can cost you your life. That's why I take care of my health and switched from smoking to vaping. Also, I buy replacement coils for VAPE (vaporesso coils) and flavors in a reliable online store and they don't contain any heavy substances that can harm my health. Guys, I wish you to be healthy and use only quality safe VAPE oils. Because life is beautiful and you should value your health and life in order to be close to your loved ones for as long as possible.

Edited by LisaHunteriQy18