When Is A Gallon Not A Gallon?

zachw

I'm looking for 3 gallon containers for my next grow. 5 gallon buckets have  been a little unwieldy for my small grow space. We have tons of buckets of various sizes and shapes here but nothing in that size that is tall rather than wide. Was calculating size on unmarked containers using formula for cylinder (pi * r square * height * .00433). But the formula didn't work out when I did this for known sizes.

Then I came across this on Home Depot's site: 

Please note that our pots are measured in trade gallons. A Trade gallon is a term used to denote the sizes of standard plant containers in horticultural industries. A trade gallon is equal to approximately 0.71 U.S. liquid gallons.

Now my numbers make more sense.

I'm looking for 3 gallon containers for my next grow. 5 gallon buckets have  been a little unwieldy for my small grow space. We have tons of buckets of various sizes and shapes here but nothing in that size that is tall rather than wide. Was calculating size on unmarked containers using formula for cylinder (pi * r square * height * .00433). But the formula didn't work out when I did this for known sizes.

Dollar store.

I like to use these.

hqdefault.jpg

Free if you know someone with cats. If you grow hydro part of the lid lifts up so you can add water. Bringing the water level up the bottom of a 5" net pot set in the lid is about 3 gallons of water.

Space saving for dirt too.

e978fd3d10fff28e2e98c1d657871204.jpg

Edited by Wild Bill

I was @ the depot today and they have swell 3 gallon white buckets. clean or recycled ones too for less. they seem as sturdy as their 5pails, and they nest nicely for projects.

Edited by grassmatch

Lowe's has some bpa free buckets. Could never find bpa free at the depot or menards

and, they have food grade buckets too (maybe the bpa free that suneday11 mentioned) if that's important. $4.68

http://www.lowes.com/pd_356492-1152-50640___?Ntt=food+grade+bucket&UserSearch=food+grade+bucket&productId=3694238

I like to use these.

hqdefault.jpg

Free if you know someone with cats. If you grow hydro part of the lid lifts up so you can add water. Bringing the water level up the bottom of a 5" net pot set in the lid is about 3 gallons of water.

e978fd3d10fff28e2e98c1d657871204.jpg

My current grow is using three of those kitty litter containers but they're just not deep enough. I want something with a slimmer and taller profile. 

Thanks for the tip on the Home Depot buckets. 

But my scrounging, recycling, trash scavenging and primal source of all house buckets wife is appalled that I may actually have to buy plastic.

I get my 3 gal 'pots' from the local convenience store where they sell ice cream by the scoop @ 3 for a dollar with the tight fitting lids.

These are a bit thinner than 'normal' buckets and are white.  I used them the last 2 yrs. to grow tomatoes and peppers. 

They measure approx. 12 in deep.

I cut/ drill holes in the one that will hold the plant then drop it into another w/ out drainage.  This makes the pot stronger and I don't

need a saucer underneath.

I discovered a bit of algae forming at the top of the pots last year and understand this is common for white planters. 

These could be easily spray painted black.

They also make great storage containers for just about anything. 

3 pails out the door for $1.06 is w/ in my 'budget' :)

OH... and they are food grade...win - win.

The lids can double for a saucer also.

The kitty litter pails are awesome for storage as 1/2 of the lid raises up.

I drilled holes in a couple and used them to store hydroton.

I found that the square pails are a little more space constrained for lack of a

better word, as they are more difficult to rotate when close together.

Also, the kitty litter pails are not food grade and that bothers me.

Please note that our pots are measured in trade gallons. A Trade gallon is a term used to denote the sizes of standard plant containers in horticultural industries. A trade gallon is equal to approximately 0.71 U.S. liquid gallons.

that makes so much sense...

i have been trying to understand that slight discrepancy in reported gallon size...

thank you for the information.

trade gallon...

new term to understand.

There is a difference in measuring dry weight and liquids also.

Look at kitchen measuring utensils for easy reference, there are dry and liquid measuring spoons/ cups.

I just use the same measuring utensils each time when mixing up stuff for the garden.

It is interesting that a Trade Gallon is .29 short of a 'real' liquid gallon.

Just another way to screw the consumers.

That is confusing also Sune, at least in my opinion.

Why doesn't the # correlate with the gallon amount?

So... I had to go check my nursery pots to see what the stamp says, lol.

The ones I have don't have any stamp on the bottom stating the size

but I did find something interesting...  "Made in Italy" :)

Decorative planters can be picked up cheap at the end of the summer

season and those are sold by the planter diameter (ie, 4in, 6in etc...) not

by how much soil it will hold. Just another thing to keep in mind while trying

to find a good discount on pots/ planters.

The container I use to measure my soil/ peat/ ewc/ humus is from a nursery

and contained my Blackberry plant.  It states 1 gallon (3.76 liters).

Still, I think it stinks that mfr. can give you nearly 25% less than what you

think you are purchasing by labeling it 1gal. smh.