79 Applicants To Sell Medical Marijuana In Detroit

bobandtorey

You could not be more wrong.

Anyway, I still do truly believe, for a great number of reasons, some I am willing to discuss and some not, that it is a true service to steer people away from participation in dispensaries or other commercial distribution schemes. Teaching them to grow their own or find a caregiver is the real value of a site like this.

As has been pointed out many many many times here, there are numerous reasons why dispensaries are the best option for some people. Providing information on growing and finding a caregiver is one thing, but "steering people away" from dispensaries is a total disservice to those folks.

sorry, took me a while to remember.

footnote 60 of mcqueen

http://komornlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/People-v-McQueen-Supreme-Court-Opinion-2-8-13.pdf

60 Of course, a registered qualifying patient who acquires marijuana—whether from

another registered qualifying patient or even from someone who is not entitled to possess

marijuana—to alleviate his own condition can still receive immunity from arrest,

prosecution, or penalty because the § 4(d) presumption cannot be rebutted on that basis.

In this sense, § 4 immunity is asymmetric: it allows a registered qualifying patient to

obtain marijuana for his own medical use but does not allow him to transfer marijuana for

another registered qualifying patient’s use.

in response to

it seems to me like the msc said it was ok. although i could be reading too much into it.

You're right.

you are mistaken sir. Qualified registrants can legally possess up to 2.5 ounces of either. I could be wrong, and would like proof if you can?

hello

Carruthers COA case??

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/Opinions/Final/COA/20130711_C309987%2837%29_RPTR_105o-309987-FINAL.PDF

In light of the plain language of the MMMA, we conclude that the brownies possessed by defendant were not usable marijuana under the MMMA.

no at this time medibles are not ok.

there is a whole lot of talk about how to avert the COA decision however they pretty much said no medibles because they could not "see the amount of high you may get"

they could test the strength..

they could test the amount...

they cannot see it is cannabis under a scope so it must be illegal.

its an official Grey area for now.

You may think we are here to profit, but we are really here to help. There is nothing about having a forum which is specifically beneficial to Komorn Law beyond any other type of website that might be here. It is not the forum making money, not at all. The forum is an expense (dollars and time) for Komorn Law, to this day.

Thank you so much Komorn Law  for having me here it means so much to me and too so many others that come here to learn how to stay safe  and i listen to the PGT radio show each and every week  i've seen you many times working in a Court room "winning" many case's and i've seen you talking to people in the Hallway of a Court House when they have no were else to turn to 

You Sir are a  " Rock Star " #Komorn Law #Winning 

I am working hard everyday telling people to come here before they plant their fist seed i do have a Dream that one day soon i won't be needed to be in a Court room supporting others 

Thank you 

Bob and Torey 

A pair of hotly contested ordinances passed by Detroit’s City Council to shrink the city’s medical marijuana dispensary population were to be rolled out on March 1, but have been halted by cannabis industry activists.

Petitions were filed today at the Detroit City Clerk’s office to initiate referendums against the ordinances, one of which was passed in December and another passed in October. The Clerk stamped the documents as received and verified that there were at least 4,055 signatures on each set of petitions, said Greg Pawlowski of the organization Citizens for Sensible Cannabis Reform (CSCR). He is a Detroit resident, a member of the Michigan chapter of Americans for Safe Access, and an entrepreneur.

The task of verifying the validity of the signatures begins on Wednesday; the City has ten days to inform advocates how many signatures were appropriate and how many more are needed to fulfill the referendum requirements.

The petition campaign will have fifteen days after that notification to submit enough valid signatures to hit the 4,055 mark. Referendum law states that, once accepted by the City Clerk, implementation of the ordinance is question is halted until either the petition campaign is denied approval by the clerk or the voters decide during a general election. If the petition campaign is successful in submitting signatures, the pair of proposals will appear on the August primary election ballot.

The timing of the petition submission comes at a bad time for the Clerk’s office. Michigan’s primary election is held on March 8, and the Clerk’s office was already busy preparing to collect ballots across the city. The ten day time period for determining validity rates of the submitted petitions is a bright-line requirement contained in law.

The Clerk’s certification of the petition numbers is a classic tale of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

On February 29 all the petitions for the two proposals were gathered in a front room of a Detroit business. Jamie Lowell, who is the Treasurer of CSCR, Pawlowski and I separated the petitions and began a hand count. We made a very conservative count, and determined that there were not enough signatures to move forward by the end of business on February 29. We were within a few hundred of our target on both petitions.

But the forms kept coming in.

Even as we spoke about the next step in fighting the ordinance, more petitions were brought to our location. Pawlowski, along with Detroit businessman and former Congressional candidate George Brikho, decided to gather the new arrivals and be at the Clerk’s office early. One of the two petition collections was determined by the Clerk’s office to have 4,087 signatures- just 32 more than required by law.

The petitions were certified. The strategy of ‘never quit’ worked. Pawlowski spent a lonely day downtown at the Coleman A Young Municipal Building, but it was worth it.

http://www.theweedblog.com/activists-challenge-detroit-medical-marijuana-ordinance/

hello

Carruthers COA case??

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/Opinions/Final/COA/20130711_C309987%2837%29_RPTR_105o-309987-FINAL.PDF

In light of the plain language of the MMMA, we conclude that the brownies possessed by defendant were not usable marijuana under the MMMA.

there is a whole lot of talk about how to avert the COA decision however they pretty much said no medibles because they could not "see the amount of high you may get"

they could test the strength..

they could test the amount...

they cannot see it is cannabis under a scope so it must be illegal.

Thank you

I was just at the Carruthers case last week it's getting interesting now and to be continued Imo

how does  Court fine someone guilty when they don't even know what is in the Brownie ?

hello

Carruthers COA case??

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/Opinions/Final/COA/20130711_C309987(37)_RPTR_105o-309987-FINAL.PDF

well, if you read the opinion, page 9 says this:

Our interpretation also does not preclude the medical use of marijuana by ingestion of

edible products; 9 to the contrary, that use is authorized by the MMMA, within the statutory

limitations, provided that the edible product is a “mixture or preparation” of “the dried leaves

and flowers of the marihuana plant,” rather than of the more potent THC that is extracted from

marijuana resin. MCL 333.26423(k).

edible are allowed as the coa plainly states they must be made from leaves or flowers.

where carruthers got screwed is someone said the wrong term "resin" and the coa thought he was using stalk resin to produce edibles. because stalk resin is listed in the definition of marihuana in the michigan law...

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-333-7106

except the resin extracted from those stalks

i am surprised how many people cannot read the carruthers opinion. i know a lot of newspapers initially came out and said "medibles r banned" but they are also 100% wrong. its difficult to stay on top of these things, thats why i'm glad theres a forum here to talk about it.

edible are allowed as the coa plainly states they must be made from leaves or flowers.

where carruthers got screwed is someone said the wrong term "resin" and the coa thought he was using stalk resin to produce edibles. because stalk resin is listed in the definition of marihuana in the michigan law...

i am surprised how many people cannot read the carruthers opinion. i know a lot of newspapers initially came out and said "medibles r banned" but they are also 100% wrong. its difficult to stay on top of these things, thats why i'm glad theres a forum here to talk about it.

i'm also glad you work so hard keeping things on topic 

doesn't the city of Detroit say in their Law the centers won't be able to sell  medibles ?

Edited by bobandtorey

For maximum protection you need to read it like a conservative judge or prosecutor, not like a regular person. 

For maximum protection you need to read it like a conservative judge or prosecutor, not like a regular person. 

To be honest your best protection is to pretend that cannabis is still illegal. Prosecutors are purposely misrepresenting the law to LEO in order to target patients. Obviously the top prosecutors and judges in Michigan are not illiterate and they know what they are doing. Its not unheard of for an officer to tell you that paraphernalia is not allowed, that everything needs to be locked in a container in the trunk or that your 9g looks like you have too much and writes you up for misdemeanors. LEO is refusing to be properly educated on the subject, because they too know what they are doing (for the most part). Unfortunately it is ok for an officer of the law not to know the law, while citizens don't have such excuse (and in some cases are being punished because they know the law).

http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Apply-for-Permits/Medical-Marihuana-Forms

DETROIT, MI -- Detroit has been one of the most lax cities in Michigan regarding the enforcement of medical marijuana dispensaries, which are still illegal under state and federal laws.

With names like The Green Mile, House of Dank, Action Medz and Detroit Grass Station. at latest count there were an estimated 211 dispensaries operating throughout the city, nearly 1.5 per square mile.

The businesses make no effort to hide their intent, and police have left them to operate freely for the most part, despite a state Supreme Court ruling in 2013 that allows medical marijuana dispensaries to be declared a public nuisance. 

There is pending legislation that could define and regulate dispensaries in the state. 

The 2008 Michigan Medical Marijuana Act allowed caretakers to designate up to five medical marijuana patients for whom they could provide marijuana. The law did not address the possibility of retail sales. 

Some of the pot shops have clearly invested large amount of capital into their entrepreneurial endeavors and buildings, but it could be all for naught with the implementation of strict zoning laws that ban shops throughout most of the city.

One group of dispensary and medical marijuana advocates, Citizens for Sensible Cannabis Reform, is fighting back. It filed a referendum last week that, if approved, could appear on August election ballots and reverse the zoning law that took effect March 1.

The referendum petition is currently being reviewed by the city Elections Department to determine if it is legal and the signatures are valid, says Elections Director Daniel A. Baxter.

As written, shops are banned from operating within 1000 feet of schools, arcades, parks, party stores, child care facilities, churches, public housing and other dispensaries. The city opened a 30-day application window March 1 and says it will begin enforcement next month.

As of Thursday, 113 businesses had applied for permits to become medical marijuana caregiver centers. A cursory look at the locations reveal most violate one or more of the new zoning limitations.

The city offers a mapping tool online for dispensaries to see if their location violates the new zoning limitations. More than 90 percent of the city map is covered with multitude of circles indicating a 1000-foot restricted area for one reason or another.

One applicant, Mind Right, is located at 17243 Mack in west Detroit. Typing in the address reveals numerous zoning location violations. "Location Ineligible," the city website says. It's within 1000 feet of "a controlled use location," Parkie's Liquor Shoppe; a child daycare facility, Moross Congregational Church and within a Drug Free Zone.

After checking about 10 addresses of applicants, all violated at least on aspect of the ordinance.

The referendum petition is currently being reviewed by the city Elections Department to determine if it is legal and the signatures are valid, says Elections Director Daniel A. Baxter.

As written, shops are banned from operating within 1000 feet of schools, arcades, parks, party stores, child care facilities, churches, public housing and other dispensaries. The city opened a 30-day application window March 1 and says it will begin enforcement next month.

As of Thursday, 113 businesses had applied for permits to become medical marijuana caregiver centers. A cursory look at the locations reveal most violate one or more of the new zoning limitations.

The city offers a mapping tool online for dispensaries to see if their location violates the new zoning limitations. More than 90 percent of the city map is covered with multitude of circles indicating a 1000-foot restricted area for one reason or another.

One applicant, Mind Right, is located at 17243 Mack in west Detroit. Typing in the address reveals numerous zoning location violations. "Location Ineligible," the city website says. It's within 1000 feet of "a controlled use location," Parkie's Liquor Shoppe; a child daycare facility, Moross Congregational Church and within a Drug Free Zone.

After checking about 10 addresses of applicants, all violated at least on aspect of the ordinance.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2016/03/new_detroit_laws_could_weed_ou.html

Anyone know what it's costing Detroit to do all this? Wouldn't it have been less expensive to free the weed? If the city thinks it's going to ever make a living off of cannabis they are mistaken. How much money has to be wasted to figure that one out? 

There should be a petition going around to defund any tax dollars to be spent on marijuana. Not a penny on anything marijuana related. No city ordinance BS. No investigation BS. No arrest BS. Just find something else to do. Detroit has a lot to do. Get off our grass. If it gets too bad the feds will step in and take down the biggest offenders. Detroit needs to focus on schools and infrastructure. 

I think you are completely wrong about what drives business to Komorn Law.

my comment was just a joke, if you were here long enough you will remember the old admin insisting this site owed him over 60k,

I was only joking with zap about making the big money,,,,,isnt that how people joke with their bosses in real life?

I have no clue if zap makes money from this site, I know I wouldnt do what he does and put up with us arse holes for no pay, but I do beleive he is some kind of employee for komorn, (that is only my belief, I have no clue) If he is making anything off of this site, he most def deserves it more than b.b did!

if you looke at peoples names it will say members, if you donate to this site, because you like to come here and would like it to stay running it will say supporter under your name, that means you donate to this site to keep it open!

riu blows, they may not have a cuss filter like oh bunny muffin!  but they most def just take your posts off way more than this site does,,,,,they will let you talk about your balls but you cant call a bad dr. bad!  Makes alot of sense, I can wake up and say man I have a woody and it itches like mad, and they will leave that on, if you say a dr. screwed people they will take it off!

go to riu if you dont like this site,,,,have fun talking about your nuts!

Peace

Thank you

I was just at the Carruthers case last week it's getting interesting now and to be continued Imo

how does  Court fine someone guilty when they don't even know what is in the Brownie ?

He told them they were made with rso!

Peace

Thank you

I think you have come across the very reason the court sputtered out their disjointed opinion: They could not quantify the amount of cannabis used to make the brownie so they couldn't tell if the brownies are compliant to the 2.5 limit. I believe that was their(Schuette) thinking and didn't know how to say it in a way that fit the law and the situation. So they just fudged the wording to fit their intent. 

I think you have come across the very reason the court sputtered out their disjointed opinion: They could not quantify the amount of cannabis used to make the brownie so they couldn't tell if the brownies are compliant to the 2.5 limit. I believe that was their(Schuette) thinking and didn't know how to say it in a way that fit the law and the situation. So they just fudged the wording to fit their intent. 

carruthers told leo it was made with oil made from mm!  He told them it had thc oil in it!  I guess he is lucky they couldnt weigh the oil, but what about the rest of us who oil was (kinda) legal in the grey area!

He screwed our whole community when it comes to medibles, and people actualy raised money for this rich guy who has/had more money than I or any of you will ever make!  He screwed us by getting caught and he screwed the poor who donated to him!  and if I remember correctly it wasnt a great thing to be passing around a can collecting for him at pt get togethers, at least one I went to made me not do either, and than I read more,,,,,,he needs to pay me, after all said and done he will still have more $ and businesses than us all!

Peace

carruthers told leo it was made with oil made from mm!  He told them it had thc oil in it!  I guess he is lucky they couldnt weigh the oil, but what about the rest of us who oil was (kinda) legal in the grey area!

He screwed our whole community when it comes to medibles, and people actualy raised money for this rich guy who has/had more money than I or any of you will ever make!  He screwed us by getting caught and he screwed the poor who donated to him!  and if I remember correctly it wasnt a great thing to be passing around a can collecting for him at pt get togethers, at least one I went to made me not do either, and than I read more,,,,,,he needs to pay me, after all said and done he will still have more $ and businesses than us all!

Peace

He didn't screw anyone really, other than himself. We were going to be here eventually. Until things get easily quantified our Crooked Conservative Michigan Government was going to pound us into this box.

They look at it like this; How are we going to be able to say you are innocent if we can't tell how much cannabis was used to make it?

Unless you think people are going to drive from Onaway to Saugatuck to shop at your favorite dispensary.

WB, for what it's worth, I don't think there's any dispensaries open any more in Saugatuck.  I called one (the last one, that I thought was open) a couple of months ago. The person who answered the phone - and who I believe was the  owner as I had spoken with him before, was rude, defensive, paranoid and didn't really seem to want my business.  At the time, they were open only by appt.  and had only a handful of strains.