How To Open A Legal Dispensary !

Yeah, you can take your stuff back to wherever. We take care of our own.

California and Colorado got nothing on Michigan anyway. We have thousands of Artisan Grows accross the state providing Fresh, high quality medicine at a fraction of the cost of this inferior product from out of state, on the dispensary shelves.

Superior Meds =. Michigan Meds

We put the Wonder in "Water Winter Wonderland"

Here's a good way to look at the legal vs. illegal dispensary discussion:  Compare it to prostitution.

I might be dating a lady and getting busy with her from time to time.  One night she stops by my house but says she can't fool around because she needs to get up early for work.  I ask her to call-in sick.  She says "No, I can't afford the sick day.  I need the money."  I tell her, "How about if we fool around and you call in sick tomorrow, I'll pay your days wages?"  Is that prostitution?  Yeah maybe kinda sorta.   But neither she nor I will make a criminal case against the other, so the prostitution goes unenforced, and nobody really cares.

Or, maybe, a single mom lives next door to me and needs some extra cash to make ends meet.  So she stops by every now and then, I have some fun, and give her a hundred bucks.  The situation works for both of us, so neither will make a criminal case against the other, and nobody really cares. 

Or, I'm driving through the east side of Flint and see an obvious hooker at a corner.  I pull up.  She asks me for a ride.  We both know that we're about to exchange cash, illegally, for knocking boots.  But I want my boots knocked, and she wants some cash.  So if we get pulled-over by LEO and he starts asking questions, we simply say that we're on a date.  Neither of us wants the trouble because we've come to a mutual agreement, and LEO only gets in the way of the agreement.  Nobody really cares.

So it goes with a dispensary.  Patients want meds, and the dispensary owners want the cash.  They have an agreement, and  there is no good reason for one to turn the tables on the other - until maybe one gets busted and is pressured (through plea deals, etc.) to rat the other out.

In Flint, there are hookers all over the place.  You can even find them on advertising on Craigslist (Don't ask me how I know this).  Probably for every arrest, there are at least 1,000+ transactions that take place without incident.  Why?  Because neither the hooker nor the John wants LEO involved, and nobody really cares.

At one point, David Leyton, PA for Genesee County, said that his office averages about 8,000 open cases at any given time, and he isn't going to use his office's resources to try to hunt-down transfers between MMJ cardholders.  Why?  Because nobody really cares....until LEO starts caring...then he spends a lot of LEO resources to make controlled buys, etc. and then busts the dispensary.  But that's a lot of work with no guaranteed conviction, especially considering Section 8.

So, why do many dispensaries get away with selling meds to any cardholder?  It isn't because anyone thinks dispensaries might be legal; it's because few people care, and it takes a lot of government resources to investigate, bust, and prosecute the offenders.

Edited by Highlander

Yeah but let's cut the crap......the disp are not operating legally. 

Agree with that.

We have been to many. They only care about the money, they don't care about any laws. And they don't care about patients privacy. All of their models are just greedy schemes to leech off patients and the system.

Vehemently disagree with that blanket generalization. 

Edited by zachw

A recent post on Michigan Norml by its executive director,  attorney Matt Abel, answered the same question  (read from the bottom up) ...

Matthew Abel <attorneyabel@me.com>

• Mar 11 at 11:59 P
Message body

“Caregiver centers” in Detroit, and Provisioning Centers in Flint, and Dispensaries in Ypsilanti all operate “at the grace of the local and regional authorities”.

Your mileage may vary.  Widely.

Matthew Abel

attorneyabel@me.com

On Mar 11, 2016, at 12:02 PM, <xxxx> wrote:

My question Matt is how is it some counties or cities like Detroit can have dispensaries and not others

The ones in Detroit aren't transferring meds to patients that aren't theirs ?

Peace

xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2016, at 11:08 AM, Matthew Abel <attorneyabel@me.com> wrote:

It is illegal to transfer (or give away) cannabis except from a caregiver to their registered patient(s).

Matthew Abel

Nice!

but then there are attorneys that are willing to take cash down to direct potential dispensary operation managers. how can an attorney assist in setting up their illegal business? Can a criminal tell a lawyer "I'm going to build a criminal enterprise will you help me"? and then hire them to assist in the act? for example

To me it's the same as that little old lady neighbor that complains to the cops that the house next door has too much traffic, they must be doing something illegal. Then the cops need to investigate if they think it's needed. Then they need to make some buys. It's the same thing that has been going on forever, even before dispensaries. That neighbor's house in not 'illegal' until the case is made. 

The only difference is now some sales are legal. The cases are harder to make.

Who employs prosecutors?

State and county governments employ prosecutors to represent their local communities in complaints against criminal defendants.

On the federal level, the president appoints prosecutors to represent the United States in complaints against criminal defendants.

WE the people pay their wages.

I think grass' question is pertinent to the conversation.

I know one good proscecutor in a good cannabis county and he's willing to talk with us. He tells us that it's the lack of serious complaints about serious criminal activity that stops him from using his resources to investigate whether a business is selling past their 5 patients per caregiver limit. 

Take that for what it's worth. It's what we have solid to build our understanding on. It's right out of his mouth. 

Not all of us have all of the answers resto... that is why we come here to discuss things.

Saying a 'city' does not dictate who gets prosecuted, it is the complaints that do so...

well, who files the complaints?

The people that live in that city I would suppose.

ergo... some 'cities' are more tolerant than others.

Not all of us have all of the answers resto... that is why we come here to discuss things.

Saying a 'city' does not dictate who gets prosecuted, it is the complaints that do so...

well, who files the complaints?

The people that live in that city I would suppose.

ergo... some 'cities' are more tolerant than others.

When I say 'city' I'm talking about city councils, city ordinances. I'm sure they can complain too. But the prosecutor said he was looking for serious criminal activities reported by citizens. He's a good guy and a plain talker, that's why we(cannabis activists) tried to get him into a higher office. He doesn't BS us much since we built in-roads. He pretty much said that until he sees some victims of a crime then he's not going to use his resources to investigate how many sales are being made by a caregiver at a business. 

One thing you can take to the bank; The prosecutor is the decider, not the city council. 

Here's a good way to look at the legal vs. illegal dispensary discussion: Compare it to prostitution.

I might be dating a lady and getting busy with her from time to time. One night she stops by my house but says she can't fool around because she needs to get up early for work. I ask her to call-in sick. She says "No, I can't afford the sick day. I need the money." I tell her, "How about if we fool around and you call in sick tomorrow, I'll pay your days wages?" Is that prostitution? Yeah maybe kinda sorta. But neither she nor I will make a criminal case against the other, so the prostitution goes unenforced, and nobody really cares.

Or, maybe, a single mom lives next door to me and needs some extra cash to make ends meet. So she stops by every now and then, I have some fun, and give her a hundred bucks. The situation works for both of us, so neither will make a criminal case against the other, and nobody really cares.

Or, I'm driving through the east side of Flint and see an obvious hooker at a corner. I pull up. She asks me for a ride. We both know that we're about to exchange cash, illegally, for knocking boots. But I want my boots knocked, and she wants some cash. So if we get pulled-over by LEO and he starts asking questions, we simply say that we're on a date. Neither of us wants the trouble because we've come to a mutual agreement, and LEO only gets in the way of the agreement. Nobody really cares.

So it goes with a dispensary. Patients want meds, and the dispensary owners want the cash. They have an agreement, and there is no good reason for one to turn the tables on the other - until maybe one gets busted and is pressured (through plea deals, etc.) to rat the other out.

In Flint, there are hookers all over the place. You can even find them on advertising on Craigslist (Don't ask me how I know this). Probably for every arrest, there are at least 1,000+ transactions that take place without incident. Why? Because neither the hooker nor the John wants LEO involved, and nobody really cares.

At one point, David Leyton, PA for Genesee County, said that his office averages about 8,000 open cases at any given time, and he isn't going to use his office's resources to try to hunt-down transfers between MMJ cardholders. Why? Because nobody really cares....until LEO starts caring...then he spends a lot of LEO resources to make controlled buys, etc. and then busts the dispensary. But that's a lot of work with no guaranteed conviction, especially considering Section 8.

So, why do many dispensaries get away with selling meds to any cardholder? It isn't because anyone thinks dispensaries might be legal; it's because few people care, and it takes a lot of government resources to investigate, bust, and prosecute the offenders.

i don't think they are getting away with it. The media has articles on raids almost daily.

Evidently a lot of people care and even more are aware.

There have been more raids this week,

We need to all care and I know a vast majority do. There is room for everyone , everyone that is ,who supports a persons right to grow their own .

If you support ending the Prohibition on Cannabiss

Help us Free the Weed.....Abrogate

Edited by beourbud

The caregiver system rules. There is no legitimate way to operate a retail operation selling to numbers of people.

Some of us kicked around the idea that a locker system might be used, with only an individual who rents one, with their own combination, and anyone who that individual gives the combination to, permitted to use it. Lockers could be rented with changeable combination locks which the tenant can set, with the tenant paying rent and a deposit for the lock. If and when the tenant is done using it, the lock is returned to the management and the deposit given back. If a tenant leaves without returning the lock, management would reserve the right to remove it by any means necessary; perhaps a bolt cutter or a torch. What this means is that a caregiver can rent a locker, store cannabis or bowling shoes in it, and give his patients the comb. Access fees to lockers can be charged, meaning that a patient or the caregiver would pay that fee any time anyone accesses it. Management would not have access and would not be involved with any transaction between a tenant and their authorized parties, because the combination is confidential proprietary information that only those the tenant and said parties can use. It is a storage facility that permits only lawful transactions.

I had thought a locker with a number of smaller boxes enclosed, again with changeable combinations, can be used to store and retrieve different types of papers and effects, allowing the user to store different types of property and/ or amounts of a commodity he or she stores in each sub box.

That got some heated commentary.

Edited by GregS