I believe the biggest reason medical and recreational cannabis remains federally illegal....money !  The second biggest reason...ignorance. If you removed greed and corruption and all were informed and knew the FACTS about this drug it would be legal worldwide and socially accepted.

I believe the biggest reason medical and recreational cannabis remains federally illegal....money !  The second biggest reason...ignorance. If you removed greed and corruption and all were informed and knew the FACTS about this drug it would be legal worldwide and socially accepted.

I believe you are absolutely correct; because, it appears greed is the main capricious force behind the tolerance by states. Schedule I drugs can't be prescribed since they have no medical value; so, even if research is conducted and certain compounds are found to be beneficial, the whole plant will never be federally regulated. Patenting certain compounds targeting specific ailments and fleecing people at >$10 each pill is how pharmaceutical companies make their profits. If an unknown plant was newly discovered in the Himalayan mountains having the same potential to cure and treat a plethora of disease it would be dubbed a miracle drug. Schedule I means controlling reverse engineering research; as well as, creating a vacuum for the criminal justice system that indiscriminately criminalizes those who utilize the whole plant. And if it wasn't for the lucrative tax incentives; the majority of states would NOT tolerate a movement towards legalization since any form of legitimate change could potentially have a negative impact on overall control and profitability. Those who govern controlled substances are fighting to retain the stranglehold on a monopoly and secure a trillion dollar industry at the expense of the health and safety of its constituents. Something is wrong when a law unjustly prosecutes millions of innocent people for a victimless crime. Welcome to the new millennium Jim Crow!

Edited by cantibliss

There is more money in enforcement of out of date, propaganda based, marijuana laws than there is in practically any other field of law enforcement.

I once spoke to a Federal Probation Officer.  I asked him, 'Do you think marijuana will be legalized?'.  His response was 'Not during my career.'.  This speaks volumes- He makes his personal paycheck by having people in the federal probation system.  Legalize marijuana and his job is at risk.  He had NO CONCERN whatsoever on the chaos it caused people, families and communities.  He was out for number one- and that is why they fight it in the law enforcement community- they are worried about their paychecks, the payments to the court, corrections, 'drug counseling', federal funding for their task forces and toys, etc.

Dr. Bob

There is more money in enforcement of out of date, propaganda based, marijuana laws than there is in practically any other field of law enforcement.

I once spoke to a Federal Probation Officer.  I asked him, 'Do you think marijuana will be legalized?'.  His response was 'Not during my career.'.  This speaks volumes- He makes his personal paycheck by having people in the federal probation system.  Legalize marijuana and his job is at risk.  He had NO CONCERN whatsoever on the chaos it caused people, families and communities.  He was out for number one- and that is why they fight it in the law enforcement community- they are worried about their paychecks, the payments to the court, corrections, 'drug counseling', federal funding for their task forces and toys, etc.

Dr. Bob

It's a sad state when Russian and Canadian cannabis laws are more lenient than ours.

Edited by cantibliss