New Way To Test Edibles

New technique could more accurately measure cannabinoid dosage in marijuana munchies

>>Most marijuana edibles are currently analyzed using a device called a high performance liquid chromatograph, or HPLC. But there's a problem using this technique.

"These machines were never designed for you to inject a cookie into them," Marcu says. "The sugars, starches and fats will wreak havoc on HPLC equipment. They can really muck up the works and lead to inaccurate results."

To overcome this problem, Wilcox, Marcu and colleagues placed food samples infused with cannabis into a cryo-mill with dry ice or liquid nitrogen. Then they added abrasive diatomaceous earth—a silica-based compound sometimes used to keep snails out of gardens—and ground the mixture to create a homogenous sample. They separated out the various chemical components using a technique called flash chromatography. This allowed them to inject liquid containing only the cannabinoids into an HPLC for analysis. The researchers concluded this process could yield far more accurate and reliable measurements of THC and/or CBD levels in an edible product than was previously possible.

The team is still evaluating their preliminary results and determining whether this technique will work with all cannabis-infused food and drinks. But so far, it appears to accurately measure cannabis content in gummy bears, brownies, cookies and certain topical lotions. According to Marcu, the next step is to install this equipment into commercial labs and train technicians to use it on a larger scale.<<

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-technique-accurately-cannabinoid-dosage-marijuana.html

• 2 months later...

This is why I love to make a huge batch of PB cookies with the same coconut oil or butter.

The cookies keep fine for up to 6 months for me and the quality seems the same for each cookie.

Coconut oil is really the way to go, easy to extract and while still somewhat messy, it's not as messy as butter. If you're a klutz or amateur like I am.

I prefer butter!

I have been getting dark chocolate bars from a c.g for 5 bucks a peice,,,,,they are about the size of one slice of a kit kat bar,  I asked how much he thinks is in each peice.  He said he puts 1000 ml to 100 candy bars, I only asked because I havent been able to get my own dose down so I can function thru out the day!

I always break the chocolate in half, I do half in the morning and half at nite, I have noticed that I dont get the same feeling from all of the candy bars,  Some times I eat half and I can taiste the oil in it, other times I dont taiste the oil, I also feel the effects of one half and not the other. I dont beleive he is able to make sure each candy bar has the same amount of oil in them, after the chocolate is melted and he mixes in the oil, I beleive it doesn't spread equaly, Im positive it dont spread equaly!

Now my butter on the other hand is all the same, all you have to do is not usee to much or you get hella stoned for a few hrs, that effect wears off but the pain relieving effect last me for prob 36 hrs, If I take one or two puffs off of a joint while the butter is still in my system, I get hella buzzed for the next 2 days,,,,,,,I dont bake with my butter, I think it breaks it down and makes it less potent (jmho) so I use it on english muffins, left over veggies, noodles (wheat noodles lol) I always heat up my food in the micro wave and than I put my butter on it and mix it in, I just started to put some spice in my butter, like onion powder, garlic powder and chives!

I dont taiste the spice's that much, so I will use a bit more, I do want it to have a spice taiste to it, It is good w/o spice's but I was trying to get a taiste like  you get from philly cream cheese on a bagle!

I would rather use medibles than any other way of smoking, vaping it!  I used to make alot of oil, my lungs throw s hit fits coughing, so I started to mix my oil in peanut butter, that works great also and I dont cough untill I see stars lol!

Happy medicating!

Peace

Edited by phaquetoo

I prefer butter!

I have been getting dark chocolate bars from a c.g for 5 bucks a peice,,,,,they are about the size of one slice of a kit kat bar,  I asked how much he thinks is in each peice.  He said he puts 1000 ml to 100 candy bars, I only asked because I havent been able to get my own dose down so I can function thru out the day!

I always break the chocolate in half, I do half in the morning and half at nite, I have noticed that I dont get the same feeling from all of the candy bars,  Some times I eat half and I can taiste the oil in it, other times I dont taiste the oil, I also feel the effects of one half and not the other. I dont beleive he is able to make sure each candy bar has the same amount of oil in them, after the chocolate is melted and he mixes in the oil, I beleive it doesn't spread equaly, Im positive it dont spread equaly!

Now my butter on the other hand is all the same, all you have to do is not usee to much or you get hella stoned for a few hrs, that effect wears off but the pain relieving effect last me for prob 36 hrs, If I take one or two puffs off of a joint while the butter is still in my system, I get hella buzzed for the next 2 days,,,,,,,I dont bake with my butter, I think it breaks it down and makes it less potent (jmho) so I use it on english muffins, left over veggies, noodles (wheat noodles lol) I always heat up my food in the micro wave and than I put my butter on it and mix it in, I just started to put some spice in my butter, like onion powder, garlic powder and chives!

I dont taiste the spice's that much, so I will use a bit more, I do want it to have a spice taiste to it, It is good w/o spice's but I was trying to get a taiste like  you get from philly cream cheese on a bagle!

I would rather use medibles than any other way of smoking, vaping it!  I used to make alot of oil, my lungs throw s hit fits coughing, so I started to mix my oil in peanut butter, that works great also and I dont cough untill I see stars lol!

Happy medicating!

Peace

I think the same phaq.  I've done both and the effects are diminished or just different maybe when I cook with already

decarboxylated infused butter or oil.

I began blending my non medicated butter and c'nut oil together @ 1.1 ratio and freezing it in ice cube trays measuring 1T each. 

This saves me time, and I only need to make the mess once :)  I will do this also with a small batch of canna infused to test out

the effects.

I think it might be better to add butter/ oil that has been infused to food after it is cooked like should be done with most oils, instead

of actually cooking with it.

I know this is not possible with baked goods but... I avoid most sweet goodies and am thinking along the lines of incorporating

cannabis infused oils into my regular meals.  It tastes pretty awesome melted over asparagus, broccoli, green beans and the likes. 

I found that .5t will suffice well enough (for my needs).

Happy cooking everyone :)

Cool technique.

Personally, I just make water extraction kief and use that for accurate measurements.  Its about the most simple and reproducible method IMO. :-)

What is the water extraction process Mal?

I don't mind making messes... I don't like having to do clean up LOL.

Cool technique.

Personally, I just make water extraction kief and use that for accurate measurements.  Its about the most simple and reproducible method IMO. :-)

hell yeah. I've been doing the same for a while now. Seems to be the utilitarian approach. Smokable, meltable to dabs, easy to mix and decarb in coco or olive oil for straight eating, and easy to sprinkle into the stir fry.

bubble bags and a mini washing machine. :-)

I just googled it for a quick video.

Edit: Don't squeeze the bags like this guy does.  A 73 micron bag should drain easily, but since these guys squeeze, they clog their netting. You can alcohol clean em, but it wears out the bags.  I still use bags I bought in like 2002 or something. These guys probably wear out their bags in a year or two.  :-)

hell yeah. I've been doing the same for a while now. Seems to be the utilitarian approach. Smokable, meltable to dabs, easy to mix and decarb in coco or olive oil for straight eating, and easy to sprinkle into the stir fry.

Agreed. 

I don't understand why people are so worked up over oil nowadays.  This is the cleanest, safest,purest and yummiest ways to go.

For edibles,  it is soooo easy.  Cook it in about anything and can wait until end of cooking to add so as not to overcook it.

BHO is for n00bs.  ;-)

I think the same phaq.  I've done both and the effects are diminished or just different maybe when I cook with already

decarboxylated infused butter or oil.

I began blending my non medicated butter and c'nut oil together @ 1.1 ratio and freezing it in ice cube trays measuring 1T each. 

This saves me time, and I only need to make the mess once :)  I will do this also with a small batch of canna infused to test out

the effects.

I think it might be better to add butter/ oil that has been infused to food after it is cooked like should be done with most oils, instead

of actually cooking with it.

I know this is not possible with baked goods but... I avoid most sweet goodies and am thinking along the lines of incorporating

cannabis infused oils into my regular meals.  It tastes pretty awesome melted over asparagus, broccoli, green beans and the likes. 

I found that .5t will suffice well enough (for my needs).

Happy cooking everyone :)

When you freeze the mix it just comes out all frozen together? nothing seperates?

so you just have measurements for what ever recipe you use?

Does any one do anything with the nasty water after it seperates from the butter?

Does margerin work as good as butter?

Just trying to get some Idea's!

I say eating it is the best,  I love to taiste my new strains, and I have my favs where I do like to enjoy the flavor!  The benifit of smoking like that is,   Its a great tool for my break thru pain!  :bong7bp:

Peace

bubble bags and a mini washing machine. :-)

I just googled it for a quick video.

Edit: Don't squeeze the bags like this guy does.  A 73 micron bag should drain easily, but since these guys squeeze, they clog their netting. You can alcohol clean em, but it wears out the bags.  I still use bags I bought in like 2002 or something. These guys probably wear out their bags in a year or two.  :-)

Duh I was gonna ask you how you extract it lol!

I have never used the bubble hash for edibles other than brownies!

I have to watch my weight, and the butter is hard enough, I dont eat salads,  I always make sure all left over veggies are saved for me to eat with my butter!

I cant be doing the candy bars, peanut butter oil and stuff!

What do you mix the hash with on a daily basis, or do you do capsules?

I know I loved smoking the bubble hash way better than the pressed keif hash! :bong7bp:

Peace