Led Lights

Tigersfann420

The people over at riu have all been suggesting cob led lighting, from logs they seem to be on par with hid, with one draw back. Its about 1500-2500 dollars to do it right upfront in just lighting costs. 1500, being the diy kits, but they all have said it pays off in the long run..me...hid all day. Soon will be switching too 600/750 nano luxes and still cutting my light bill in half.

I will be running all COB lights...It's going to cost me about $5,000 to do my 10 x 11 room...My current draw for my room will be down 30-35% and my lighting will be much more saturated (more par).. my ac load will also go down..HJ

that 5k is getting you roughly 50 square feet of canapy space or more?

with those figures applied to my whole electric bill I would need a bit more than 4 years to pay for the led's with the savings gained, nearly twice that if I discounted the cost of the electric baseboard heating, higher than my lights alone seasonally. I wonder with less heat from the led lamps will the humidity be increased or decreased.

Anyone know of the warranty period/ led bank repair costs of these awesome gems? 

but the real study is "will the hps by itself cut it"?   in my experience....yes, all day long, expense, failure, power usage, hps is a winner. LED lights dont put out much heat, but I didnt care once I saw it didnt flower near as efficiently as my mh or hps did. led's in photos are cool as heck though, and the added spectrum helps out in flower I agree.  I just know now that my flowers need no extra help.

Until we have plants creating their own lights I'm sticking with mh and hps for the win.

laugh now..  

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/14/5504656/a-natural-glow-these-plants-produce-their-own-light-bioglow-daan-roosegarde

http://www.glowingplant.com/                                                                                                            :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonyevans/glowing-plants-natural-lighting-with-no-electricit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bioluminescent_organisms  

2nd link =

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

I learned a new word "Bioluminescence :)

I'd link you to the fixtures I'm buying but he only has 4 left of the type I need,and he is offering a discount to me till they are gone...As soon as I make the purchase I will post the link...

lol, no prob. I did the math based on what i have read and what i was advised and it was just an ungodly number for me. I surmised to just try one in a 2x3 space to get a feel, still a bit pricey even for the one. Would love to see what it looks like all set up, feel free to pm me if your like me and are not comfortable having pics floating around.

Here is what the manufacturer said...35 cobs will provide 1312 par watts. (10x11) - (3x4) is 98 square feet. 35 cobs over that area will provide 660 PPFD, which is a good flowering intensity...Below is the link to the lights I bought....I bought the 2100 series in t1,t2 t3 and t4.......HJ

http://www.tastyled.com/default.asp

• 2 weeks later...

what reasons do you do this for?

After speaking with DJ Short about different light schedules he suggested it. It is what he does.

13 on for sativa and

11 on for indica

It brings out the characteristics of the of each. I mean come on this is from DJ Short how can I not try his suggestions.

After speaking with DJ Short about different light schedules he suggested it. It is what he does.

13 on for sativa and

11 on for indica

It brings out the characteristics of the of each. I mean come on this is from DJ Short how can I not try his suggestions.

right on!

i modeled subcool's gardening ideals in the beginning.  I was in touch via forum and I got to grow pink lady before it was plushberry because of him. lots of people did, but I felt it was special being involved. I loved plushberry, my pink pheno was better looking, but I did admittedly bore of her, eventually killed her culture record too. accidentally, now shes discontinued I think. i bum on led, you know, but I am open minded, and always knew they'd be better than the old UFO's were right. I cant wait for pics.......

peace

peace

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a lot...Around $5,0000... I have a total of 35 emitters....3-T4, 5- T3, 3-T2 and 2 -T1....I used to run 3- 1000w HPS with 3- 150w HPS to fill a couple areas on 3-120v 20a circuits totaling 37 amps total draw....Now I just use 2-120v 20a circuits and  draw 25a total...With MUCH more light! ...HJ

http://www.tastyled.com/default.asp

• 3 weeks later...

So, you're the one who bought out all their stock!  :dodgyrun:

I'll second the nod to Tasty LED.  I was an outdoor gardener for years and feared indoor

gardening would be basically impossible in my little apartment, where I was dealing with

struggling AC and monster electric bills to begin with.  HPS seemed like the only lights

that would even come close to producing the sun-drenched nugs I was used to, so I

resisted for a couple years.

Suddenly COB lights are on the scene.  So I finally decide to give them and indoor growing

a try.  I have the T4-2100 in a 2x4x8ft tent and so far I am quite happy with them.  Finally,

something that feels sorta like sunlight, doesn't cause my apartment to cook, and doesn't

massacre my electric bill:

IMG 0871

IMG 0873

IMG 0874

Edited by iwombat