State Police Cite Various Violations Prompting Dispensary Raids

t-pain

most interesting quote in the article

He stressed he nor anyone at the police post in Gaylord have not received any calls from dispensary owners, caregivers or patients asking for clarifications to the law or for help to ensure they are operating legally.

Carroll said they have an open-door policy when it comes to offering this kind of assistance in assuring the legal operations of such establishments.

call up the msp and start asking them quesitons. and record the conversation for later use in court :)

what the flower, police cant give legal advice...

GAYLORD — Two more suspects were arrested Friday follow the March 10 Otsego County medical marijuana dispensary raids, bringing the total arrest number to four.

According to Detective Lt. Ken Mills, unit commander for the Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement (SANE) team, a 21-year-old male and a 56-year-old male, both owners of Gaylord medical marijuana dispensaries, were arrested Friday.

The names of both men are being held pending their arraignment. Mills said the 21-year-old was arrested and lodged at the Otsego County Jail and was released after posting bond. The 56-year-old man turned himself in at the Michigan State Police Gaylord post, posted bond and was released without being lodged.

Mills was unable to provide the charges the men were arrested on, though he said they both were found to be in violation of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

According to Mills, each of the 10 medical marijuana dispensaries searched March 10 were dispensing marijuana to patients who they were not registered to through the state marijuana program, which he said is a violation of the marijuana law. He said a majority of the dispensaries were also violating the law by selling or dispensing items that contained THC, like edibles and waxes.

“They were not just dispensing plants,” Mills said.

These two men are the third and fourth suspects to be arrested following the March 10 raids, in addition to a fifth suspect, Chad Morrow, 36, former owner of Cloud 45 in Gaylord, whose dispensary was searched again April 19. Morrow was arraigned April 20 by Judge Patricia A. Morse in 87th District Court on charges of delivery or manufacturing of marijuana, delivery of a controlled substance and operating and maintaining a drug house.

The additional two suspects arrested include Robert Garrow Jr., 45, and Steven Scully, 36, both of Gaylord.

Garrow was arraigned March 14 on charges of operating or maintaining a controlled substance laboratory near certain places, other businesses in this instance; four counts of delivery of or possession with intent to deliver marijuana, or manufacture of marijuana; and one count of operating or maintaining a drug house. Each will be charged as a second offense.

Scully is the former owner of The Apothecary in Gaylord, and was arraigned April 4 on three counts of delivery of or possession with intent to deliver marijuana, or manufacture of marijuana; and one count of maintaining a drug house.

Mills said the investigations following the searches March 10 continue and more arrests are expected to be made in the near future.

http://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylord/more-suspects-arrested-in-connection-to-march-medical-marijuana-raids/article_bcd08306-0b19-11e6-a2a7-27abb46587c0.html

• 3 weeks later...

"I'm going to stand up and fight. I'm not stopping."

Don Lykins is accused of selling medical marijuana to people who aren't his registered patients.

Monday morning he told a judge he won't accept a plea deal.

Police raided his dispensary, D&L's Medicinal Exchange and nine others in March after they received tips that the dispensaries were acting outside the Medical Marijuana Act.

Lykins was one of two men arrested.

"It's very frustrating. It puts everybody in fear. You know a lot of patients who are now even too afraid to come get their medicine," says Lykins.

This morning the prosecution offered to drop his delivering marijuana charge if he pleaded guilty to an illegal sale. He's not interested in taking the deal though.

"I thought it was ridiculous. It's still a felony. Saying I was doing an illegal sale when I wasn't, that's wrong. I'm definitely not going to plead guilty to something I didn't even do," says Lykins.

Michigan State Police helped serve a search warrant at Lykin's dispensary in March, one of ten raided that day.

"That's what gets frustrating for us. It's the same thing over and over again. It's very clear, the rules are very clear but people continue to violate the rules," says Michigan State Police Assistant Gaylord Post Commander Lt. Derrick Carroll.

They say the law is clear. Only people registered to the caregivers can receive medical marijuana, similar to anyone else getting medication.

"I can go to Walgreens and fill it but I can't go to Rexall, Rite Aid or any other pharmacist in the state and fill it. It's a one stop thing, same with medical marijuana," says Lt. Carroll.

Lykins maintains everything he's doing is legal.

"They said I broke the law selling to people that's not my patients but the Medical Marijuana Act says I'm allowed to do everything I'm doing," says Lykins.

"If the owners of the shops would like to come to us and discuss the regulations or laws if they are unclear we will be happy to go over them with them, but the law is clear... If you are selling to people just because you feel you can you're doing nothing more than drug trafficking," says Lt. Carroll.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/31986902/gaylord-dispensary-owner-defends-himself-against-illegal-medical-marijuana-charge

"They said I broke the law selling to people that's not my patients but the Medical Marijuana Act says I'm allowed to do everything I'm doing," says Lykins.

And furthermore, Registered Caregivers ARE allowed to sell cannabis to a hundred different patients a day as long as they have a card!!! :wacko:

And furthermore, Registered Caregivers ARE allowed to sell cannabis to a hundred different patients a day as long as they have a card!!! :wacko:

Like I said, and I honestly beleive the phaqing pig was reading our site!

the only way they can operate a despense is if they have a 100 c.g's to serve their 500 pt's, the pt's can come any day they feel like it, but if some one other than their c.g sells them mm the person selling it is in trouble, the pt will walk, but not with their meds, if caught in action!

their quote" there isnt a law that says they cant have as many c.g's as they want working there"  the only legal way for a despense to run is if pt's only purchase from their c.g, so the c.g's need to rotate days and put a schedule up that says what days they will be at the despense, and their pt's should go on them days!

other than that it is not legal to have a despense, it is half legal, legal for pt's not for c.g's who sell to people other than their pt's!

The pig also says there is not anything in the law that says a c.g can charge,,,,,he needs to learn to read, it says a c.g can be compensated for their expenses!

Its all about the extractions, why?  who the hell knows, I mean I can almost see bho not being legal to make in a neighbor hood, in the wrong hands it is deadly to make, in the right hands it is safe, as far as butter and tinctures, they are as save as making ice cubes!

cops suck!  They all suck!

I have to make a copy of an add an attny made in roscomon county and it went out in the middle of the paper with the rest of the adds, he made a whole page add back and front, and it tells about the 7 million grant roscomon, crawford and otesgo county got to catch people on I-75 with mm, they are teaching them to profile and what to look for, they are taking advantage of speed traps that have been in use for 30 yrs now,,,,dont ever speed on I-75 between west branch and gaylord, you will go up north on vacation and home on probation, and they just got a 7 million dollar grant to do what they have already been doing, only addition is learn to profile the type of person that smuggles the all killing mm!

I wonder if we card buyers paid for that?

some one has had to have seen the neon green flyer in one of their local papers in the 3 county's im speaking of!

be safe, dont look like a pt or you may be profiled as such!

Peace

edit = im P issed

Edited by phaquetoo

bho matters because homeland security is in charge of patent enforcements. I bet Sativex, coming soon to a pharmacy near you, would be up in arms knowing most anyone with a can of butane.... could make the same concoction for a fraction of the price. Every person manufacturing/selling  cannabis oils could face patent infringement punishments if a patented version, of the process and results, already exists and is fiercely protected by our own government policing agencies .

and when Monsanto patents cannabis seeds, and they will,

Sure they let you grow poppy's, but dont dare scrape the medicine from their husk, too close for comfort for big pharma....

Nipping It In The Bud Monsanto isn't just talking tough on seed piracy; it's taking action.

soybeans.gif
Saving some types of soybean seed is perfectly legal, but Monsanto warns against pirating its patented seed technology.

Taking off the gloves. Throwing down the gauntlet. Making an example. Use any cliche you like. Monsanto's campaign to stamp out seed piracy could land you in hot water.

Just ask David Chaney of Reed, Ky., who has admitted to illegally saving and replanting Roundup Ready soybeans. According to Monsanto, Chaney also acknowledges that in return for other goods he illegally traded pirated seed with neighbors and with an area seed cleaner for the purpose of replanting.

Chaney's settlement agreement includes a $35,000 royalty payment to Monsanto as well as full documentation confirming the disposal of his unlawful soybean crop. All those involved will provide Monsanto full access to their property for inspection, collection and testing of soybean plants for the next five years.

Chaney says he is not allowed to discuss the settlement terms. But he doesn't harbor bad feelings toward the company. "I knew that I was breaking the law," he says. "To me, it was like driving 60 in a 55-mph zone. Now I'd tell anyone that it's not worth it."

Chaney's is just one of 475 seed piracy cases nationwide that Monsanto has generated from more than 1,800 leads. Included are growers in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.

Scott Baucum, Monsanto's intellectual property protection manager, says when farmers illegally pirate patented biotech seed such as Roundup Ready soybeans and cotton or Bollgard cotton, everyone loses.

"Monsanto invests many years and millions of dollars in biotechnology research to bring growers new technologies sooner rather than later," Baucum says.

"When growers save and replant patented seed, there is less incentive for companies to invest in future technologies that will ultimately benefit farmers."

Several other farmers are settling with Monsanto. Their payments range from $10,000 to $25,000. The company says it's pursuing seed piracy cases in order to maintain a level playing field for all growers

Like I said, and I honestly beleive the phaqing pig was reading our site!

the only way they can operate a despense is if they have a 100 c.g's to serve their 500 pt's, the pt's can come any day they feel like it, but if some one other than their c.g sells them mm the person selling it is in trouble, the pt will walk, but not with their meds, if caught in action!

their quote" there isnt a law that says they cant have as many c.g's as they want working there"  the only legal way for a despense to run is if pt's only purchase from their c.g, so the c.g's need to rotate days and put a schedule up that says what days they will be at the despense, and their pt's should go on them days!

other than that it is not legal to have a despense, it is half legal, legal for pt's not for c.g's who sell to people other than their pt's!

The pig also says there is not anything in the law that says a c.g can charge,,,,,he needs to learn to read, it says a c.g can be compensated for their expenses!

Its all about the extractions, why?  who the hell knows, I mean I can almost see bho not being legal to make in a neighbor hood, in the wrong hands it is deadly to make, in the right hands it is safe, as far as butter and tinctures, they are as save as making ice cubes!

cops suck!  They all suck!

I have to make a copy of an add an attny made in roscomon county and it went out in the middle of the paper with the rest of the adds, he made a whole page add back and front, and it tells about the 7 million grant roscomon, crawford and otesgo county got to catch people on I-75 with mm, they are teaching them to profile and what to look for, they are taking advantage of speed traps that have been in use for 30 yrs now,,,,dont ever speed on I-75 between west branch and gaylord, you will go up north on vacation and home on probation, and they just got a 7 million dollar grant to do what they have already been doing, only addition is learn to profile the type of person that smuggles the all killing mm!

I wonder if we card buyers paid for that?

some one has had to have seen the neon green flyer in one of their local papers in the 3 county's im speaking of!

be safe, dont look like a pt or you may be profiled as such!

Peace

edit = im P issed

Here is a good post i hope it helps 

The State Police want to tell us that the Law is very clear, I believe he said we could have them explain it, I would welcome that opportunity. Every attorney will tell you that you cannot ask

any questions of Law and now they want to explain it to us. 

When are you folks going to sit down and find out what part of the "Law" they are talking about. The only thing I have heard was SHerriifff Bouchard explain you can go to the MDCH Website

And it tells you they are not allowed. moo poo> That was what James McCurtiss, a spokesperson for the MDCH decided, I doubt he has any legal basis for that opinion. The Supreme

Court was challenged in McQueen, show us where, in the Laws Of The State of Michigan, it says Marihuana Dispensary's are illegal. They could not do that. It would have been much

easier to just quote law than to come up with the lies the told us, like the MMMA is asymmetric, yet they did not declare it unconstitutional. 

How many of you who tell us you are the business people we depend on have actually read that decision?? How many of you know the Section of the Law the boys were trying to use??

Ok, maybe you know now, why don't you destroy them. If you are serious about wanting to get them to cooperate, and they should, then you must sit down and talk with them. it is what we

should have been doing all along. 

Compare the way you may have operated your (whatever you call it) and see if there are any differences. Section 4 (i) really??

If my insurance actually covered Sativex, Dronabinol or Marinol I would be all for it. The problem is that it doesn’t and I can’t afford $600 a month. I’m sure >90% of the people that could benefit from these drugs are in the same boat.

Here’s a secret… go to Detroit or Ann Arbor if you want to run a dispensary. I just went down to 8 mile today, visited my old dispensary that I thought was shutting down due to a drug free zone and they had their permit tapped to the inside window. Apparently, they are also allowed to smoke inside according to the owners. Edibles and extracts gone. How ironic is it that dispensaries are being allowed contrary to the court rulings, but legal edibles/extracts have to go? One things for sure, you don't need to be connected to patients in AA or Detroit to get away with running a dispensary. In some places, city law seems to beat state; others not so much.

Edited by Alphabob

tough to convince leo that this is a failed effort, while they get the results they desire and expect. It seems to be a failed war to us, while at the same time a winning war for them.

create criminals

extort money from them

send them to jail

report wins

crowd the jails

build private prisons

increase retirement portfolios for all !!

report increased dividends thanks to the "war on drugs"

and feds give more cash for the efforts.

Still trying to figure out the school frauds, they report thousands of graduated children who cannot read and thousands more who quit school. their reports show bribery being used to entice children to show up for one day for the "count".    why do they get more fed money to blow(steal) ? 

whats next? 

someday a balance  could occur.......one part of society will be incarcerated while the remainder of free society works hard to keep them there.

Edited by grassmatch

GAYLORD — Detective Lt. Ken Mills of the Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement (SANE) team said there would be more arrests ahead following sweeping raids of all 10 medical marijuana dispensaries open in Otsego County on March 10.

Mills' assertion continues to be upheld as three more people were arrested in conjunction with the multi-departmental search warrants executed on March 10.

On Tuesday, a 54-year-old man, a 48-year-old man and a 32-year-old man were all arrested.

The 48-year-old Indian River man faces three counts of delivery of or possession with intent to deliver marijuana, or manufacture of marijuana; and one count of maintaining a drug house. The 32-year-old Gaylord man faces three counts of delivery of or possession of with intent to deliver marijuana; and one count of maintaining a drug house. The 54-year-old Boyne City man faces two counts of delivery or possession with intent to deliver marijuana; and one count of maintaining a drug house.

The charges of the 54-year-old man, who was arrested later in the day Tuesday, were unavailable.

None of the three have been arraigned.

On March 10, after Robert Garrow Jr., 45, and Steven Scully, 36, were arrested following the searches, Mills said, "With all the violations and illegal activity there will be over 10. Well over 10 (arrests)."

On April 22, a 56-year-old man and a 21-year-old man were arrested following the March 10 raids, in addition to a fifth suspect, Chad Morrow, 36, former owner of Cloud 45 in Gaylord, whose dispensary was searched again April 19.

"There will be more charged," Mills said Wednesday, pointing out that the officer assigned and the Otsego County prosecutor's office continue to work on the case.

According to a May 10 story in the Herald Times, there were just two dispensaries in Otsego County providing medical marijuana.

Jolene Fowler, owner of Otsego County Patient Resource Center, 2631 S. Otsego Ave., formerly Cloud 45, said she is continuing to operate under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act as enforced by police, although she said she disagrees with Otsego County Prosecutor Michael Rola's interpretation of it.

Other former dispensaries said they remain open but no longer dispense marijuana and some have closed.

Law enforcement and prosecution continues to share the same message — the law is black and white and those who break it will be arrested.

"If they follow the law, they are not bothered," Rola said in the May 10 story. "Contrary to what some people have claimed, the only people who have been charged are the people who have committed crimes."

http://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylord/featured-ght/more-arrested-following-march-medical-marijuana-raids/article_5c3f88a4-1d00-11e6-bfe4-5fbb1f03bc6b.html

bho matters because homeland security is in charge of patent enforcements. I bet Sativex, coming soon to a pharmacy near you, would be up in arms knowing most anyone with a can of butane.... could make the same concoction for a fraction of the price. Every person manufacturing/selling  cannabis oils could face patent infringement punishments if a patented version, of the process and results, already exists and is fiercely protected by our own government policing agencies .

and when Monsanto patents cannabis seeds, and they will,

Sure they let you grow poppy's, but dont dare scrape the medicine from their husk, too close for comfort for big pharma....

Nipping It In The Bud Monsanto isn't just talking tough on seed piracy; it's taking action.

soybeans.gif

Saving some types of soybean seed is perfectly legal, but Monsanto warns against pirating its patented seed technology.

Taking off the gloves. Throwing down the gauntlet. Making an example. Use any cliche you like. Monsanto's campaign to stamp out seed piracy could land you in hot water.

Just ask David Chaney of Reed, Ky., who has admitted to illegally saving and replanting Roundup Ready soybeans. According to Monsanto, Chaney also acknowledges that in return for other goods he illegally traded pirated seed with neighbors and with an area seed cleaner for the purpose of replanting.

Chaney's settlement agreement includes a $35,000 royalty payment to Monsanto as well as full documentation confirming the disposal of his unlawful soybean crop. All those involved will provide Monsanto full access to their property for inspection, collection and testing of soybean plants for the next five years.

Chaney says he is not allowed to discuss the settlement terms. But he doesn't harbor bad feelings toward the company. "I knew that I was breaking the law," he says. "To me, it was like driving 60 in a 55-mph zone. Now I'd tell anyone that it's not worth it."

Chaney's is just one of 475 seed piracy cases nationwide that Monsanto has generated from more than 1,800 leads. Included are growers in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.

Scott Baucum, Monsanto's intellectual property protection manager, says when farmers illegally pirate patented biotech seed such as Roundup Ready soybeans and cotton or Bollgard cotton, everyone loses.

"Monsanto invests many years and millions of dollars in biotechnology research to bring growers new technologies sooner rather than later," Baucum says.

"When growers save and replant patented seed, there is less incentive for companies to invest in future technologies that will ultimately benefit farmers."

Several other farmers are settling with Monsanto. Their payments range from $10,000 to $25,000. The company says it's pursuing seed piracy cases in order to maintain a level playing field for all growers

http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/knowledge_goods/monsanto.html

Funny thing Monsanto does not spend millions of dollars on their research, The USDA funds their research with out taxpayer dollars and then Monsatan gets all the profit and the government gets nothing in return, what a sham!!!

Farmer Brown

• 1 year later...

GAYLORD — Chad Morrow pleaded guilty Thursday to two charges of delivery of marijuana, more than a year and a half after a law enforcement raid on his former dispensary, Cloud 45.

Morrow, 38, was initially arrested in April 2016 on charges of delivery or manufacturing of marijuana, delivery of a controlled substance and operating and maintaining a drug house after raids of his dispensary, home and a marijuana growing facility by Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement officers.

He was also arrested this past July in another raid of the now-defunct dispensary, resulting in another marijuana delivery charge and a habitual offender charge.

But based on the plea agreement between Morrow and Sierra Koch, visiting prosecutor from Crawford County, Morrow will only face one delivery of marijuana charge from each of the raids.

Judge Colin Hunter oversaw the case in 46th Circuit Court.

Morrow is scheduled for sentencing in mid-February.

Although medical marijuana is legal in Michigan, both of Morrow’s charges revolve around supplying medical marijuana to individuals to whom Morrow was not the designated caregiver.

Caregivers are allowed five medical marijuana patients each under Michigan law.

One of Morrow’s charges occurred after he provided marijuana to an individual who was not in the Michigan medical marijuana patient database and, by extension.

The other resulted after Morrow provided marijuana to an undercover police officer who was in the database, but was not one of Morrow’s registered patients.

Morrow said while he was initially eager to fight the case all the way through the process, the financial drain and other factors ultimately caused him to decide to take the plea.

He said that, even if he had won the case, Koch could potentially appeal the decision, which would not only cost extra money for Morrow, but would also mean less of a chance that he would win the case, based on existing case law on the matter.

“There’s the financial drain obviously,” Morrow said. “The financial drain is a big part of it. The appeals process is a bottomless pit of filing and motions and appeals and everything. It’s not as simple as going in and putting the facts out there.”

https://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylord/featured-ght/top-gallery/morrow-pleads-guilty-to-marijuana-delivery/article_860c0280-9355-5268-85a7-5d6336e6e860.html

•  

On 12/13/2017 at 9:56 AM, bobandtorey said:

GAYLORD — Chad Morrow pleaded guilty Thursday to two charges of delivery of marijuana, more than a year and a half after a law enforcement raid on his former dispensary, Cloud 45.

Morrow, 38, was initially arrested in April 2016 on charges of delivery or manufacturing of marijuana, delivery of a controlled substance and operating and maintaining a drug house after raids of his dispensary, home and a marijuana growing facility by Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement officers.

He was also arrested this past July in another raid of the now-defunct dispensary, resulting in another marijuana delivery charge and a habitual offender charge.

But based on the plea agreement between Morrow and Sierra Koch, visiting prosecutor from Crawford County, Morrow will only face one delivery of marijuana charge from each of the raids.

Judge Colin Hunter oversaw the case in 46th Circuit Court.

Morrow is scheduled for sentencing in mid-February.

Although medical marijuana is legal in Michigan, both of Morrow’s charges revolve around supplying medical marijuana to individuals to whom Morrow was not the designated caregiver.

Caregivers are allowed five medical marijuana patients each under Michigan law.

One of Morrow’s charges occurred after he provided marijuana to an individual who was not in the Michigan medical marijuana patient database and, by extension.

The other resulted after Morrow provided marijuana to an undercover police officer who was in the database, but was not one of Morrow’s registered patients.

Morrow said while he was initially eager to fight the case all the way through the process, the financial drain and other factors ultimately caused him to decide to take the plea.

He said that, even if he had won the case, Koch could potentially appeal the decision, which would not only cost extra money for Morrow, but would also mean less of a chance that he would win the case, based on existing case law on the matter.

“There’s the financial drain obviously,” Morrow said. “The financial drain is a big part of it. The appeals process is a bottomless pit of filing and motions and appeals and everything. It’s not as simple as going in and putting the facts out there.”

https://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylord/featured-ght/top-gallery/morrow-pleads-guilty-to-marijuana-delivery/article_860c0280-9355-5268-85a7-5d6336e6e860.html

•  

Looks like those 10's of 1000's of dollars Chad spent on Neil Rockind was a waste.  Or he couldn't afford Neil's $/hour rate for a lengthy trial and appeal process.  What a joke.  

rockind is one of the top defense attys in the state. but also his rate is more $$$.

you dont want to hire a lawyer? then dont try to run a dispensary unless its licensed by the state. seems simple enough.

marijuana and medical marijuana remain schedule 1 and schedule 2 here in the state laws. it aint no joke, its the law.

4 hours ago, bax said:

rockind is one of the top defense attys in the state. but also his rate is more $$$.

you dont want to hire a lawyer? then dont try to run a dispensary unless its licensed by the state. seems simple enough.

marijuana and medical marijuana remain schedule 1 and schedule 2 here in the state laws. it aint no joke, its the law.

cool story bro

On 12/15/2017 at 9:31 PM, braunstein said:

Looks like those 10's of 1000's of dollars Chad spent on Neil Rockind was a waste.  Or he couldn't afford Neil's $/hour rate for a lengthy trial and appeal process.  What a joke.  

More like the lawyer prob told him he was messed for selling to a uncarded person. 

I knew this guy and he is a giant asshat.