Gavita Lights

has anyone out there tried the Gavitas?

a consultant in denver told me about them and wow!

I don't get excited about much these days let alone get on the next bandwagon...

but darn, these lights are all that and then some!

these lights are not for small personal grows as you have to have high ceilings

I've been in a room with them and you can't look at them

enough to make some folks who are sensitive to light uncomfortable

the price is higher than standard 1000 whps but not as much as the LEDs

anyone hip?

KF

I have 11 foot ceilings. I keep my lights several feet below. My plants rarely are allowed to grow over 5 feet tall. any taller and light  will be the last issue I would have to contend with.  the resources necessary to cultivate  an 8,10, 12 foot plant, indoors, are surprisingly difficult to provide indoors. Very expensive, labor intensive and a huge risk for Michiganders to folly with.

Now, if they power up a room like my 1k hid's, and use half of the power, and create half of the heat, and dont cause skin cancer......I'll bite. Temperature control is a huge advantage to having a high ceiling, and keeping the source of the heat up there to remove would be nice maybe, and if the light functions at this height  I see some advantage, in a power growing wharehouse maybe.

I  never saw cannabis under one but I did get to experience the light once, up high, blinding sorta. my hid bulbs are the best thing since sliced bread, they are cheap, last a long time, are time tested and proven, I've found nothing on the market that beats them for growing cannabis. I stopped looking years ago after paying for lies and forum reviews

Here are a few reviews of them from folks trying them out...

Customer Reviews Mediocre, Unreliable Review by Flower People Say Overall Rating

We bought more than a couple hundred of these for a large commercial operation. They are continually shutting themselves off due to poorly designed heat dissipation and overheating. The units are designed to shut off at 95 degrees F, which they can easily get up to in an hour of operation. We also have regular complete failure of these ballasts. We are constantly battling lamp failures with these. Incredible waste of an extremely large amount of money. (Posted on 2/11/16) good but drop RH a bunch in my room Review by trashman Overall Rating

ok i went from 4 - 600w and 2 - 1000w in air cooled hydrofarm 8" vented hoods to 4 - 1000w gavitas in a 10' x 10' room. RH dropped from 50% to 17%. added hydrofarm humidifier and custom fit the lights into my hoods. less than 5% loss of light measured but now i can use them at 1000+ watts and not bake the room. i do clean the glass every few days. easy task to do to use these lights to their full potential in MY particular situation. increase in yield by 20 to 25% first run and less energy used, 20 amps vs 30+ with old lights. also found out a lot about plant vapor pressure deficit while changing to these lights as they did change MY environment in MY room. i have a 12000 btu split unit (way to small for 4 open air 1000w lights)and sealed room w co2 and all digitally controlled environment. (Posted on 9/1/15) amazing lights with one problem Review by halfmoon Overall Rating

Ok so i bought a gavita 1000w pro with intention of buying 9 more, well it worked for 2 weeks then just shut down and wont work, when i went back to grow store they had all of there givitas recalled cuz of same reason . I really like the system want to use multiple but what is up with breaking. Not happy in calofornia. (Posted on 4/2/15) Epic yield Review by Greenthumb Overall Rating

25% more yield an better shorter plants.
No words can discribe how happy i am. (Posted on 5/1/14) Best lights I have ever used Review by HG Man Overall Rating

I switched out my setup for these since they have a lower RF than other ballasts out there as the ballast is mounted directly to the hood so there is no cord. My neighbor had a ham radio setup and my old ballasts and hoods would interfere with this broadcasting. Anyhow I bought 32 of these hoods and I have to say I will never go back to any other type of setup. These hoods I swear put off a 6' x 6' footprint effectively, I have never had a harvest so good. With 32 lights my "tomato" production was insane, I managed to pull 112 lbs of "tomatoes" off of the 32 light setup averaging 3.5 lbs per light. Some trays were over this amount by up to 1.5 lbs, while other more "sensitive" smaller yielding genetics were 1.5 to 2.0 lbs. Either way these guys have got something special here, Gavita's are gnarly sick... Don't take my words lightly, get yourself some Gavita's and never look back. (Posted on 4/1/14) Best light for sealed setups Review by Gene Overall Rating

I've been running adjust a wings in a sealed room for close to 3 years. Running two 1000's over a 4 x 8. Approximately same heat as my adjust a wings, but my plants are growing noticibly faster and I yielded just shy of 10% more with these per tray. Awesome lights. Make sure to keep these about 6 inches higher than adjust a wings from your canopy though. (Posted on 3/20/14)

has anyone out there tried the Gavitas?

a consultant in denver told me about them and wow!

I don't get excited about much these days let alone get on the next bandwagon...

but darn, these lights are all that and then some!

these lights are not for small personal grows as you have to have high ceilings

I've been in a room with them and you can't look at them

enough to make some folks who are sensitive to light uncomfortable

the price is higher than standard 1000 whps but not as much as the LEDs

anyone hip?

KF

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-in-progress/272996-gavita-1000e-series-doc-bud-journal-review.html

Owned 600w, 750w double ended, 1000w double ended, all three models are awesome. Hydrofarm just put out an equivalent that is supposed to be less expensive. Either way that style fixture can't be beat, used in real commercial/industrial greenhouses. Not the "hobby" stuff that are continually marketed to MM industry which is mostly junk and or gimmicky.

They can cover around a ten by ten space, speaking from experience with grows i have been in and worked in. You need at least ten foot cielings and dedicated airconditioning, no portables, but they easily out perform conventionals in commercial or semi comercial settings. Your not keeping them 2 feet from plant tops, more like 4-6 ft.

I was an early adopter and built my growroom using gavitas three years ago. Although I only have eight foot ceilings I have made it work by dialing them down to 600 watts. I still have the original bulbs that have been burning 12/12 365 since April of 2013.

Still pulling 2 pounds a light with them set at 600 watts. That should tell you all you need to know.

Edited by shishka

How far are those from plant tops shiska? Still covering at least a 6x6 right?

I try to leave at least two foot between the bulb on 600-750 and the canopy. I run 52"x52" canopies under each light. You would really need to be running at 1000-1150 to get a good 6'x6' canopy and at that setting I would recommend four foot clearance.

I try to leave at least two foot between the bulb on 600-750 and the canopy. I run 52"x52" canopies under each light. You would really need to be running at 1000-1150 to get a good 6'x6' canopy and at that setting I would recommend four foot clearance.

Thats still nice. It never occured to me to dial them back, im a full throttle all the time kind of guy. Im adding 2k more watts of lights to my setup probably end of june early july, i was thinking of running the lec 315s, i have low ceilings at 7ft. Really want to run gavita's, just not sure if its practical for my area. My cousin runs gavita, but he has a lil over ten foot cielings, and with over lap there covering about 8x8 areas each pretty good, @5 ft from plant tops. Decisions decisions, its been a few years since ive made any changes.