Changing My Flowering Cycle From Day To Night

due to the heat and a bad ac unit I hit the 100 degree mark yesterday and am changing my flowering cycle from day to night

I understand that the dark cycle needs to be uninterupted

but should I give them a 24 hour day or 24 hour night cycle to accomplish this change

just looking for educated opinions not lectures please

thanks

KF

I've had to do the same thing this spring/summer, running the flower room during the day made the temps get upwards of 95, So this year the lights come on at 6pm, and off at 6am. And it helps when I'm working second shift, I can get out at midnight and still have lots of time to get my work done in the grow room. I'm thinking about moving it back further on the next run, like 9pm-9am.

Also, I would leave them in the dark for the transition. I gave my current flowering ladies a nice 36hr wait in the dark before going to 12-12.

Edited by Digitalmixx187

I switched mine last year after a storm caused an extended power outage.

I run from 10pm to 10am...works great as I am a fairly early riser and do most of my work between 7 and 10 down there....

I had planned on switching anyways once I heard we were getting digital electric meters here in my county in 2016 and I could sign up for net metering which allows for significant savings on your billing if you use a majority of your electricity during off peak times... it will drop my bill by at least half...from something like .12 a kilowatt-hour continuously currently then after net metering I will only pay .04 during off peak for a much lower overall average price.

so last fall the power went off for the day and I decided to leave it off and reset my bloom room for that next night..

worked out awesome for me then and ever since....

avoid the hottest part of the day so the air handler is not working near as hard and my temps remain stable.

I agree with what's posted above....flip it after a long dark cycle rather than run a double day...

Should see no adverse affects so long as your genetics are half way decent..

After giving my girls that 36 hour dark cycle before going 12-12, seems to have helped the plants switch to flowering mode a lot faster, this strain normally takes 10-12 days before bud sites are appearing, this time it was happening after 6-7 days. I'm not saying a dark cycle before bloom is scripture written in stone or anything, but it did help me with my current Red Dragon ladies.

Hey perg, thats interesting, you didn't run into any nitrogen deficiency by only using the flower base? I was under the impression the veg nutes had more N2o because it is needed in the plant during the vegetative cycle. I'm sure some strains might thrive with your style while others would be yellow and sickly from the n2o loss. Just my thoughts.

Its not really relevant to this thread, but 2 cycles ago i cut out veg base nutrients completely and started using only flower base and have noticed sites appearing faster by a good 4-7 days.

it's always relevent when you are sharing your experiences for other to consider :-)

I did the same thing with my current round and the girls 'burst' into flower in the first week

I am at week 7 and there is no signs of deficiency :-)

in fact the Illudium (a selected pheno from my Hawaiian Indica x Bubba Kush 3rd backcross) is so dark green it almost looks blue :-)

when a buddy saw the results he followed my lead and it worked out for him as well :-)

I believe that as long as you don't flush heavily during the veg cycle there is still enough nitrogen in the containers to last through most flowering cycles

I know a guy that uses nothing but Dynagrow bloom through the whole cycle and has impressive results

some strains might not comply especially the 10 to 12 weekers

KF

it's always relevent when you are sharing your experiences for other to consider :-)

I did the same thing with my current round and the girls 'burst' into flower in the first week

I am at week 7 and there is no signs of deficiency :-)

in fact the Illudium (a selected pheno from my Hawaiian Indica x Bubba Kush 3rd backcross) is so dark green it almost looks blue :-)

when a buddy saw the results he followed my lead and it worked out for him as well :-)

I believe that as long as you don't flush heavily during the veg cycle there is still enough nitrogen in the containers to last through most flowering cycles

I know a guy that uses nothing but Dynagrow bloom through the whole cycle and has impressive results

some strains might not comply especially the 10 to 12 weekers

KF

I switched to GH Lucas formula about six years ago and fed all vegging and flowering plants the same with great results. The only drawback was that I'd sometimes forget how much micro I added to my mixing drum before I added the bloom so I'd have to dump the barrel and start over. A couple years ago I switched to Ionic bloom, which is a one-part solution (and made in Michigan). I've had no disappointments with that either. BTW, this was all done in DWC.

Hey perg, thats interesting, you didn't run into any nitrogen deficiency by only using the flower base? I was under the impression the veg nutes had more N2o because it is needed in the plant during the vegetative cycle. I'm sure some strains might thrive with your style while others would be yellow and sickly from the n2o loss. Just my thoughts.

no not a single yellow leaf, even with the very heavy feeders. I only did ot because i was out of veg nutes and wouldnt make it to the store for a few more days sp i just ran with it...ill prolly not go back. Im sure there are many others as we can see that have had similiar results. At least with both nute lines im currently running, there is only a slight difference in the amount of nitrogen in the veg vs the flower. Most of the difference is in p and k and micro nutrients.