Miracle Grow Marijuana

kindfolk

That's interesting...

I was so just speaking to a friend about this today...

Miracle grow has been around for a long time.

They get a bad rap for some reason but true be told my mom's tomatoes are frikkin amazing and she uses miracle grow soil and food...

At first I so tried to tell her miracle grow is the scourge of the industry and does not deserve our contenplation but it's really hard to argue with the results...

Miracle grow has been around for a long time maybe they have figured a thing or two out about growing food...or better yet cannbis.

No clue but I am curious mostly because we were so discussing this today...

they been talking about this for awhile, I wonder how much involvement they already have in the cannabis industry.

"Don’t be fooled by Miracle Gro, produced by Scotts Company an arm of Monsanto. They are a billion dollar chemical company. It’s chemical based and it’s new Organic line is a Marketing ploy. There is no organic watch dog for gardening or cleaning products"  Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/46899-gmo-cannabis-cup/page-2

Scotts-miracle gro sells monsanto's roundup and ortho crap.

Miraclegro bought General Hydro.

I would not invest in miracle gro, the current young generation only rents (or lives with parents) because they cannot afford homes. The old boomers are dying off quickly. No one is going to be around to apply grass seed and ferts to a bunch of worthless grass in 5 years.

Edited by bax

This spring Miracle-Gro took its pot plan on the road. It began selling a new line of hydroponics equipment and soils called Black Magic (created by a scientist at the General Hydroponics office) in 141 Home Depot stores across Colorado and Washington (states where recreational pot is legal) and Michigan (where medical marijuana is legal).

Hagedorn’s most eye-opening idea: someday expanding the company’s research on genetics into cannabis to create GMO marijuana.

Edited by bax

Scotts-miracle gro sells monsanto's roundup and ortho crap.

Miraclegro bought General Hydro.

I would not invest in miracle gro, the current young generation only rents (or lives with parents) because they cannot afford homes. The old boomers are dying off quickly. No one is going to be around to apply grass seed and ferts to a bunch of worthless grass in 5 years.

My rose's, tomato's, cucumbers, peppers, brocili, all of my vegtables and flowers thrive on miricle grow!

I dont know why they always get a bad rap!

Peace

My rose's, tomato's, cucumbers, peppers, brocili, all of my vegtables and flowers thrive on miricle grow!

I dont know why they always get a bad rap!

Peace

here's a couple reasons for NOT supporting a corporation in bed with others who do great harm to us, from war to gas chambers to genocide. 

monsanto1.jpg

Miracle-Gro is mass produced, made with inferior ingredients that are cheap and destructive to the environment.  Scotts has been found guilty many times in US Ferderal Court of purposely mislabeling products with carcinogens and using products that are lethal to wildlife and humans.  Check out these recent violations:

EPA Orders Scotts To Stop Selling Unregistered Pesticides

(Beyond Pesticides, April 25, 2008) The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 5 this week issued a “stop sale, use or removal” order against Scotts Miracle Gro Co. and three affiliates, all of Marysville, Ohio, for illegal, unregistered and misbranded weed and fertilizer products with a cancer causing and endocrine disrupting pesticide ingredient. EPA will also issue a stop sale order to Scotts Lawn Care Service.Scotts has agreed to recall two products from all retail locations across the United States and to set up a process for consumers to safely return any unregistered products they may have purchased. EPA ordered the companies, collectively an international producer and distributor of lawn care products, to immediately stop selling and distributing the products which can be identified by the invalid “EPA registration number” listed on the package. Invalid registration number 62355-4 is marketed under names including “Garden Weed Preventer + Plant Food” and “Miracle Gro Shake ‘n’ Feed All Purpose Plant Food Plus Weed Preventer.” The active ingredient of this product is trifluralin, an herbicide that is a possible carcinogen and probable endocrine disruptor, among its health effects.

Scotts Miracle-Gro Caught Again, This Time a Record Penalty for Pesticide Violations

http://www.enewspf.com– Washington, DC–(ENEWSPF)–September 11, 2012.  Lawn company giant, Scotts Miracle-Gro Co., pleaded guilty to numerous charges of misleading consumers with unapproved labels and falsifying insecticide registrations, including using toxic chemicals in wild bird food. Scotts was ordered to pay $12.5 million in criminal fines, the largest penalty ever set under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).

Scotts admitted to using Storcide II and Actellic 5E to prevent insects from damaging the bird food in storage, even though it knew both chemicals were toxic to birds, fish, and other wildlife. In 2008, Scotts Miracle-Gro ceased sales of the tainted birdseed but not before 70 million units of the pesticide-tainted food was sold. The sentence imposed in federal court in Columbus, Ohio, includes a $4 million criminal fine, the Justice Department said. Separately, the company agreed to pay more than $6 million in civil penalties to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and contribute $500,000 to organizations to protect bird habitats and restore and protect 300 acres of land to prevent runoff of pesticides into waterways –valued at $2 million. EPA has identified more than 100 products produced or sold by Scotts Miracle-Gro that violated the federal pesticide laws over the past five years.

Storcide II contains chlorpyrifos-methyl and deltamethrin, while Actellic 5E contains pirimiphos-methyl. Chlorpyrifos-methyl, an organophosphate insecticide, was voluntary cancelled in 2000, and like its cousinchlorpyrifos, is a neurotoxin toxic to humans and wildlife. Pirimiphos-methyl is also an organophosphate and is noted as being highly toxic to birds and fish.

if thats not enough to boycott these fellas, what is?

Man, i just bought 2 bails of black magic peat based mix on 4th of july. Home depot was the only place open and i really needed/wanted to do some work on 4th of july. I also bought a handful of the pots they had there, funny tho because the package label says black magic felt pot and then the tag on the side is smart pot..so there smart pots brand with different packaging.

I will say this tho, the mix seems to better than my normal sunshine mix #4, it has noticably more coir and aged bark, but i dont want to support these guys so i probably wont buy it again. It was roughly 5 dollars more a bail at 42 and some change.

To be fair, for many of them it's difficult to thrive in an economy ruined by people of older ages. ;)

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

To be fair, for many of them it's difficult to thrive in an economy ruined by people of older ages. ;)

well, yes and know. The politicians that fought for these trade aggreements, and most recently citizens united. I was of the mindset that older generations had pucked up, but i believe my generation is just as much to blame now. Not enough people paying attention and voting to remove these people that only want to make there pockets deeper. Then you also have corporations like walmart and apple, twisting a law that was designed to provide rights to people, and applying it to corporate entities as tho they are people. The whole system is rigged and needs to be abolished at this point. There no reason a company should be able to move into a town, shut down all the local mom and pop business, and then turn around and pay its employs a non living wage while the company makes profits in the billions for a small number of individuals. All of us let this happen.

Scotts admitted to using Storcide II and Actellic 5E to prevent insects from damaging the bird food in storage, even though it knew both chemicals were toxic to birds, fish, and other wildlife. In 2008, Scotts Miracle-Gro ceased sales of the tainted birdseed but not before 70 million units of the pesticide-tainted food was sold.

that explains what happened to all of the birds.

It's a good product made by a bad company. Monsanto makes GMO plants that have been modified so Roundup (glyphosate) doesn't hurt them. That way they can spray Roundup on the whole field of wheat instead of just on the weeds.

That means that when you buy GMO wheat you are eating wheat that has been sprayed with Roundup. This is thought to be responsible for the upswing in gluten intolerance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

It's a good product made by a bad company. Monsanto makes GMO plants that have been modified so Roundup (glyphosate) doesn't hurt them. That way they can spray Roundup on the whole field of wheat instead of just on the weeds.

That means that when you buy GMO wheat you are eating wheat that has been sprayed with Roundup. This is thought to be responsible for the upswing in gluten intolerance.

i have watched so many documentaries about this, if you dont use monsanto seeds, according to the docs, when they spray round up from the air, it drifts to other fields and pretty much kills the whole crop. Those seeds are property of monsanto, any seeds got during the season have to be thrown away, forcing people to buy seeds every season etc etc. i really hate that company and all they have done in the name of profits.

Actually, right now there is no GMO wheat that has been approved for planting in the USA, there was some found growing in Oregon a couple years back and was destroyed by USDA. What is going on with wheat, oats,barley, sugar beets, sugar cane and am not sure what other crops is they are spraying these crops with glyphosate( active ingredient in Roundup) pre-harvest, the reason for doing this is for the crop to dry down faster for harvesting, the term used for this awful practice is dessication. So now you get to ingest even more glyphoste( it is a terrible chemical and is showing up in human blood and urine, water wells in southern MI, it has been shown to be causative in cases of bladder cancer, urinary tract cancer and thyroid cancer) than ever before. There is also strong evidence that glyphosate is also being picked up in the evapo-transpiration process in the center of or country( like Iowa) and is in the rain when it comes down in other parts of the country. Glyphosate was found in grass samples on a farm in northern Maine where there was not any roundup ready crops planted anywhere near this farm!!! And now we have our wonderful Senator Stabenow is teaming up with the religious rightwing fanatic Senator Robertson from Kansas to squash  GMO labeling, when this bill passes it overrides the Vermont law on requiring GMO labeling of food, she is such a corporate whore who loves to pad her pockets with dirty money!!!

Farmer Brown

Aren't Scotts Miracle Grow, ticker symbol SMG and Monsanto, ticker symbol MON separate corporations?

Each are listed and trade separately on the NYSE.

Monsanto, based in St. Loius is being targeted in a buy-out by the German Company, Bayer.

Scotts corporate headquarters are in Marysville, OH.

There has been a recent pop in SMG stock that may be related to the increasing Wall Street interest in the rapidly expanding MJ and MMJ industry.

Edited by outsideinthecold

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2016/07/06/cannabis-capitalist-scotts-miracle-gro-ceo-bets-big-on-pot-growers/#cea905538cfe

“For a lot of conventional companies, I don’t think they’d want to take the risk,” says Hagedorn, a short, bald 60-year-old with sharp blue eyes. “I mean I’ve talked to some other friends and CEOs who basically shake their head.”

Among the dissenters is Carl Kohrt, one of six Scotts Miracle-Gro board members to step down in the past three years. “I’m not personally a supporter of the marijuana business,” says Kohrt. “Things change. Laws have changed. Interests have changed. Some personal values have not changed–mine included.”

Values aside, the drug industry is a legal minefield.

The federal government still labels cannabis as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act, in the same class as heroin and LSD. But 25 states now allow medical marijuana, and 4 (plus the District of Columbia) have passed laws permitting recreational use. In 2013 the Obama Administration issued a memo deferring marijuana regulation to states, while at the same time reserving the federal government’s right to prosecute offenders in the future and challenge the states at any time (perhaps, say, if a new president is elected).

GROWING UP, Jim Hagedorn thought business was boring. His father, Horace, a onetime Madison Avenue adman, cofounded Miracle-Gro in 1951 and spent much of his time on the telephone talking about numbers and marketing plans. Jim was a horrible student who didn’t care about his schoolwork but spent study halls going through encyclopedias cover to cover.

His older sister Susan joined the Weathermen, a left-wing terror organization that bombed the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol (she was not involved in either). After she was arrested for conspiracy to commit arson during a riot in Massachusetts, Horace Hagedorn headed north from Long Island to try to get his daughter off the hook. (She ended up serving two years’ probation.) While Horace was gone, Jim, then 15, threw a massive “pot party,” as he terms it, inviting over hordes of young people to get high. His father returned earlier than expected, walked into the ongoing party and burst into a fit of rage. Fearing for his safety, Jim called the police. (“As bad a kid as I was, he never hit me. I thought he was going to kill me this day,” he recalls.) The cops arrived at the door, and when Horace went down to answer it, Jim walked out of the house. He didn’t return for another two years.

Hagedorn lived on radical communes, surrounded by guns and drugs. He and his gang of friends stole anything they wanted as their lives spiraled out of control. “Did I do drugs?” Hagedorn asks rhetorically. “I didn’t do heroin–I viewed heroin as a drug that poor addicts use–but when it came to hallucinogenics and speed and marijuana, cocaine. Hell, yes.”

After a girlfriend broke his heart, he stumbled home to try to piece his life back together. His father made a donation to a boarding school in Vermont, and the school admitted Jim, by then 17, to its freshman class. Not long after, Hagedorn decided he wanted to be a professional pilot and headed to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Fla. After enrolling he took the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test, a military version of the SAT. To his surprise, he nearly aced the exam and the school offered him a full ride. Hagedorn’s father had promised all his children that if they earned scholarships, he would give them half of what they saved him. Hagedorn took the money and bought a BMW 5 Series.

Six months into flight training an Air Force major stared down 30 students. “I want everybody who wants to kill people to sit on one side,” Hagedorn recalls him saying. “And I want everybody who is going to fly the killer’s toilet paper around to sit on the other side.” The major walked up to him and asked him to choose his fate. Hagedorn wanted only to be an airline pilot; he was certain the aerobatics of flying fighter jets would make him sick. But so did the idea of being subservient to anyone. “Kill people, sir,” he answered. He flew fighters for seven years during the Cold War. In 1987 Hagedorn left the Air Force as a captain and interviewed at his family’s business, where his father asked him what role he saw himself taking at the company. He responded by saying there was only one job that he wanted–his father’s. Hagedorn was willing to learn the ropes for a few years, as long as he didn’t have to work in sales. His dad hired him and immediately threw him in the sales department.

In 1994 SC Johnson offered the Hagedorn family $400 million in cash to buy Miracle-Gro, and Jim, by that time an executive, came up with a countermove. What if, instead of selling to the consumer products giant, he proposed a merger with Scotts, a sleepy Ohio business that was six times the size of Miracle-Gro but had slim profits and a market capitalization of only $300 million. On Jan. 26, 1995 Scotts, run by professional management and owned by institutional shareholders, and much smaller Miracle-Gro merged in a deal that valued Hagedorn’s company at $195 million. It was less than half the price SC Johnson offered, but there was potential upside. In this deal Jim and his family took their entire payment in equity and warrants, giving them a 41% stake in the merged company. Soon after the agreement closed, the Hagedorns learned that Scotts’ management team had been inflating sales figures. The company had to restate its earnings in 1996, and the Hagedorns moved to boot the old management team, replacing them with Miracle-Gro folks, including Jim. Five years later he took the top role himself.

The Hagedorns kept looking for ways to take down competitors or, if that was not possible, to ally with them. In 1998 Scotts Miracle-Gro struck a $32 million deal to sell Monsanto’s herbicide Roundup and a $300 million agreement for pest-killer Ortho. (Today Ortho does nearly $300 million in revenue, and Roundup brings in $70 million in net profit annually.) The next year Hagedorn shelled out another $350 million to acquire lawn and garden companies in the United Kingdom and new markets like France, Germany and the Netherlands. By 2009 Scotts Miracle-Gro controlled more than half of the market in consumer pesticides, fertilizers, soils and grass seeds.

Without a hint of irony in his voice, Hagedorn compares the lawn and garden business to warfare. “Oh, dude, in a lot of ways, I think it’s better,” he says. “Today the way wars happen, you don’t get to keep all the stuff. To me this is one where in commercial combat you kind of rape and pillage, and you keep all of the stuff.”

Former F-16 fighter pilot Hagedorn often pilots himself 500 miles by plane and 30 miles by helicopter from Long Island to his office in Ohio. Photo by Stephen Webster.

THAT’S HAGEDORN. Wildly offensive, hard-charging and, as even those who detest him admit, deceptively smart. He flies a plane named F-Bomb, draws business lessons from Osama bin Laden (“a massive piece of crap” but “a visionary”) and compares himself to the protagonist in the Showtime series Billions (“so focused on winning that he’s a little bit of an animal”).

There is a softer side. Just ask him about his family. From 1995 to 2007 Hagedorn flew back to Long Island every weekend to see his wife and three kids but spent most of his time in Ohio. After his daughter died in 2007, he started commuting back and forth every day so that he could be home for dinner every night. He typically flies with no one but his German shepherd, Scout, who rides on a built-in dog bed next to Hagedorn’s seat in the cockpit.

“There’s not another Scotts, and there’s not another Jim Hagedorn,” says Mark Baker, a former president of the company. “He is intense. He’s very smart. He’s sometimes exuberant, sometimes brutal–all in the same sentence, same day, same minute.”

Hagedorn’s temperament has gotten him in trouble before. In 2011 he told a Wall Street Journal reporter off the cuff that he wanted to target the medical marijuana market. When the story hit the press, Scotts board members

were shocked–both by the idea (which they immediately shot down) and the fact that Hagedorn had told a reporter about it before telling them.

Two years later the board was in turmoil for a different reason. On June 3, 2013 Scotts Miracle-Gro announced the resignation of three directors and explained the departures in an awkwardly worded SEC filing. All three had resigned “following a unanimously-supported reprimand of Hagedorn that stemmed from the use of inappropriate language,” the statement said, but none of the departures were “related to any disagreement relating to the company’s operations, policies, practices or financial reporting.”

Although the details of what exactly occurred remained secret for years, even to Scotts’ employees, the abrupt resignations of three board members certainly raised eyebrows. “They were the three strongest and the three most willing to challenge Jim,” says one former senior executive.

In reporting this story, FORBES uncovered publicly for the first time what actually happened. While discussing the movie Django Unchained with a newly hired African-American employee, Hagedorn repeatedly said the N-word, which is frequently used in the film. After receiving a complaint, the board of directors launched an investigation into the incident. The inquiry quickly expanded into a larger review of the “tone at the top” of the organization, sparking a war among board members. In the end the board issued Hagedorn a unanimous reprimand, but he remained CEO. The African-American employee at the center of the episode left Scotts Miracle-Gro and was paid undisclosed millions as part of a severance package that included nondisclosure covenants. Contacted by FORBES, she declined to comment.

“The catalyst for this whole problem was me,” Hagedorn says. “I get that. I’m not super-apologetic about what happened. I wouldn’t do it again.”

The incident left the board less independent than it had been. Altogether 6 board members have left since 2013. Meanwhile only 4 new directors have joined Scotts, shrinking the board from 12 people to 10, including Hagedorn, who serves as chairman, and his twin sister, Katherine Hagedorn Littlefield, who is vice chairman.

“Listen, I want to respect the board,” Hagedorn says. “I don’t really feel like I have to get a lot of s— from the board.”

BACK ON LONG ISLAND, just minutes from the Hagedorn family compound, sits the command center for Scotts’ marijuana mission, set up in a nondescript white block building. The only sign that anyone of consequence is inside is the 1967 pastel-yellow Alfa Romeo convertible sitting outside. It belongs to Jim’s 31-year-old son, Chris, who is charged with turning his father’s wild idea into a reality.

If the Hagedorn family didn’t own 27% of Scotts Miracle-Gro, Chris would not have his current job as president of subsidiary Hawthorne Gardening. When he was a teenager, he read an article explaining how the first generation typically creates a family business, the second generation expands it, and the third ruins it. So he decided to stay away from Scotts Miracle-Gro. He studied history at Bowdoin College, where he was admitted with help from his father, who knew the president. After graduation he spent three years in advertising, writing commercials for fast-food hamburgers, then quit to write a novel. He ended up playing a lot of videogames instead. Eventually he got married and, while riding in the cockpit on the way back from his wedding, gave in and asked his father about joining the company. Jim put him in the marketing department (which Chris didn’t like), then eventually switched him over to the unit that oversees hydroponics (which he found more interesting).

“As far as I was concerned, it was just a toe in the water, but [Jim] may have had other ideas,” says Alan Barry, who served on the Scotts board of directors from 2009 until his retirement in 2015. “This was Jim’s way of creating a job opportunity for his son. And it was small, and it would have no measurable impact on the company.”

Twenty-eight years after dad Horace (in portrait) gave him a job at Miracle-Gro, Jim installed son Chris as head of his own subsidiary.

Chris’ role expanded quickly. Last year he helped lead the $120 million acquisition of General Hydroponics, which proved to be a tumultuous deal. The day before the agreement was to be finalized, Scotts’ outside lawyers refused to sign off. Their problem: Even though General Hydroponics did not sell marijuana, its founder had been growing cannabis as part of a side R&D operation. Jim Hagedorn wanted to pay the founder a consulting fee to continue working on his research for Scotts Miracle-Gro. But the lawyers refused to go along with it. Seeing no other option, Hagedorn agreed to leave the research out altogether and wrapped up the deal. That legal team has not worked on any Scotts’ hydroponics deals since. Undeterred, Hagedorn recently paid $120 million for a 75% stake in an Amsterdam-based lighting and hydroponics equipment outfit.

If Hagedorn’s antics don’t get in the way, his pot strategy may prove to be a success. General Hydroponics and its sister company, Vermicrop, brought in just $50 million in revenues when Scotts bought them in 2015. Now part of Chris’ subsidiary, the two companies have already increased sales by more than 20%, roughly four times the growth rate of the rest of Scotts, and operating margins are on track to be about 30% higher than the company average this year. The core business has been performing better lately as well, with profits up 50% since Hagedorn fired more than half of his management team in the last four years. Scotts Miracle-Gro shares have increased 13% in the past year (versus -1% for the S&P 500).

This spring Miracle-Gro took its pot plan on the road. It began selling a new line of hydroponics equipment and soils called Black Magic (created by a scientist at the General Hydroponics office) in 141 Home Depot stores across Colorado and Washington (states where recreational pot is legal) and Michigan (where medical marijuana is legal). A bag of Black Magic costs $16, more than twice as much as typical potting soil. Vegetable growers may not notice much of a difference, and most wouldn’t bother paying the higher price. But one pound of cannabis is worth more than $2,000, meaning the calculus for growing weed is much different than it is for growing tomatoes. With that sort of math on his side, Chris predicts his division will someday be a billion-dollar business. The TV spot that launched Black Magic features tattooed growers working under neon lamps late at night to cultivate leafy greens. It first aired on Apr. 20, the unofficial holiday for weed smokers everywhere.

There are plenty of other opportunities, too. Take pesticides. Since marijuana is still a Schedule I drug, the federal government has not approved any pesticides for use on the plant, so growers are using corn pesticides as a substitute. But production at marijuana facilities keeps getting shut down by authorities, who are fine with businesses selling weed in certain states but don’t want people smoking dangerous chemicals. Scotts Miracle-Gro is now working with state governments to secure federal registrations that will indicate which pesticides can be used safely on cannabis. The ultimate plan: roll out a line of branded pesticides specifically designed for pot.

Hagedorn has not given up on growing his own marijuana, either. He is already looking into foreign markets like Israel, Canada and Jamaica, where Scotts might be able to legally set up labs to test its products and conduct cannabis research. Hagedorn’s most eye-opening idea: someday expanding the company’s research on genetics into cannabis to create GMO marijuana. Showing an ounce of restraint, he says he is not ready to run that idea by the company’s directors–yet.

Still he’s got his hand firmly on the throttle. “I’m pretty dominant and forceful here,” he says. “I admit, I’m an acquired taste. There are certain people who would say, ‘I wouldn’t want Hagedorn going out with my daughter. I don’t like how he runs the business.’ ” None of that deters him.

Thanks for posting the SMG piece Brains.

Miracle Grow's evolution is an interesting story.

Although they are minority shareholders the family's stake is large enough to ensure it is firmly in control of the board and through the board, the company itself.

The only way to wrestle control from the CEO would be if all the remaining shareholders could band together as a bloc and vote against their own best (short-term) interest as shareholders.

Not likely.

Edited by outsideinthecold