Plant Hopper Nymph?

I found two of these guys after an extensive search tonight. I seen one yesterday while pruning. They were fast, hopped, and left a white residue behind on the stems they were sitting. They were totally aware of my presence, they would shuffle around the stem to avoid me before jumping to the floor.

My question is, does anyone know exactly what this is? The post title was the best i could find with no actual pictures and i couldnt find any info on damage, life cycle, etc? Any one experienced these critters? The plants are extremely healthy, but since i did a sweep of all my plants and only found two, i suspect there new, as in just got in within the last few days to week or so.

Advice, info, links etc would all be appreciated. I have plants coming down soon, with the next about 4 weeks in. Im basically on a every two week cycle. I cant have a major bug problem, it would cripple the perpetual for me, but it is what it is.post-9990-0-57286300-1468574133_thumb.jpegpost-9990-0-71784900-1468574146_thumb.jpeg

So i finally found some solid info, it is a plant hopper/leaf hopper nymph...it appears some simple dish soap and water will kill them on contact..pretty sure i can find an organic alternate(any suggestions?) or is the info im reading wrong and these are terrible pests for cannabis indoors?

Acanaloniidae plant hopper is what i found.

Are they light green in color?

no, there is a picture in the op. They are brown/gray. The only solid info i found was on a site for flowers, and a few posts about them outdoors in oregon/california. It seems not many people have ever had them inside. No alternatives to dish soap? Im not well versed in fighting pests, aside from mites and thrips the first year or two i started gardening. Keep everything pretty well clean and usually work naked/underwear only wearing a pair of shoes i keep in there.

Okay, the color on this old lappy is bad.  They look like what we called leaf hoppers when I was a kid and those were a pale green color.

Good to know I am not the only 'naked' gardener around here ;)

I use a solution of iso, peroxide, olive oil and ivory liquid soap.  I've had a mites and thrips before pretty badly and spraying every 3 days

with this solution kicked their butts.  I found rosemary oil to be some pretty effective stuff but caution is needed cuz it does burn when using

too much of it in the mix.

no, there is a picture in the op. They are brown/gray. The only solid info i found was on a site for flowers, and a few posts about them outdoors in oregon/california. It seems not many people have ever had them inside. No alternatives to dish soap? Im not well versed in fighting pests, aside from mites and thrips the first year or two i started gardening. Keep everything pretty well clean and usually work naked/underwear only wearing a pair of shoes i keep in there.

IT APPEARS YOU LEFT A PUBE IN THOSE PICTURES, JUST ABOVE THE " CRAB!!!    lol lol LOL LOL

you might want to change your position on naked gardening :)

Edited by Willy

Did a pretty thorough sweep last night again, didnt see any more, but has me seriously worried. Im going to spray everything except for the late stages and mid stages down with some h202,dish soap, and water mix as a preventative, knock down to anything i might not of seen. 4 or so years running strong with out a bug in sight. Had to of come in when i had my tech here doing work for me.

since 2008 I've heard growers blaming their dirt bags for their pests. I'm betting these dirt bags are steamed or otherwise processed. Producers are reluctant to put raw poop in the bags for sale, so they heat treat before commercial packaging. not to say some of the kevlar coated bugs wont stay.

I've cycled hundreds of bags of soil in my time, pro mix, sunshine, potting soil, etc.....always with a keen eye, and never saw anything alive in a sack.

Likely vectors are lawn mowing days,  pets, visitors, grow store rub n bumps maybe. Sometimes bugs are just curious. I come inside of my house sometimes with little green hoppers still on me...aint no thing. nuke em with some oil and carry on, being careful to only apply to affected areas. dont want to kill the friendly beasts.

ya them grow stores, are a cesspool of contagions... many bring home mites and worse,, not a hard thing to get by any means.. sorta the nature of the beast...

I never hear anyone suggesting it may be the fault of that stranger clone bought at the dispensary, or a fellow  grower visiting.

I know how to avoid mites in my grow room,  it works for me and the other growers I know personally.  My bet is .....mite infestations aint coming from the grow store, the dirt, shoes, or dogs ime.

Mites Suck !!  (so I've heard)

cracks me up when mite sufferers flock to others who battle the same borg for solutions

reminds me of divorcing friends never talking to the happy couples for advice on saving their marriage, but listening intently to the other divorcing ones.  qwazy

I never took in a clone and no grower has seen my grow room ever.

I propose that along with best friends, purchased/gifted clones from the circus is where mites come from.

I never hear anyone suggesting it may be the fault of that stranger clone bought at the dispensary, or a fellow  grower visiting.

I know how to avoid mites in my grow room,  it works for me and the other growers I know personally.  My bet is .....mite infestations aint coming from the grow store, the dirt, shoes, or dogs ime.

Mites Suck !!  (so I've heard)

cracks me up when mite sufferers flock to others who battle the same borg for solutions

reminds me of divorcing friends never talking to the happy couples for advice on saving their marriage, but listening intently to the other divorcing ones.  qwazy

I never took in a clone and no grower has seen my grow room ever.

I propose that along with best friends, purchased/gifted clones from the circus is where mites come from.

all of those do bring in pests.. if its not admitted to its just to cover the fact... i admit i had mites a few years back..and they came from clones... once I went to seed no more problems... plus the work to get rid of them ... I get a kick outta people not listening to the successful either.. they expect instant cure.. with stuff like magic water.. or a bomb once and forget it.. then blame the products because they didnt work LOL I think half the growers don't know what a pest management system even is..https://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-Pest-Disease-Control-Protect/dp/0932551041

Prevention has always been where i put my money. I know for a fact awhile ago, fox farms was becoming notorious for root aphids, so much so many local shops stopped carrying it for a while there.

While many proffesional mixes to heat treat there mixes upon manufacture, thats not to say something doesnt or cant crawl in post manufacture. I attribute these little fellors hitching a ride in while everyone was here working, doing new electrical, new mini split, nee walls etc. lots of go back and forth from outside to inside. Grows stores really are notiorious for bugs, why? Because thats usually the first place an infested individual goes to seek relief, many a time i have been in line listsning to the shop keep explain methods to the poor feller seeking relief.

Strange clones are probably the number one cause for spreading them from room to room, it was just a few months ago i was seeking new genetics and all but one individual had dirty clones. Passed on half a dozen peoples close immediatelly, the few i did bring back went to the garage quarantine to later be tossed out. Mites and root aphids are a plenty in michigans clone industry to say the least.

These little fellers tho, quite positive a few hitched a ride on a pant leg or shoe from the back yard. Just glad there not a mite, white fly, or aphid.

• 2 weeks later...

since 2008 I've heard growers blaming their dirt bags for their pests. I'm betting these dirt bags are steamed or otherwise processed. Producers are reluctant to put raw poop in the bags for sale, so they heat treat before commercial packaging. not to say some of the kevlar coated bugs wont stay.

I've cycled hundreds of bags of soil in my time, pro mix, sunshine, potting soil, etc.....always with a keen eye, and never saw anything alive in a sack.

Likely vectors are lawn mowing days, pets, visitors, grow store rub n bumps maybe. Sometimes bugs are just curious. I come inside of my house sometimes with little green hoppers still on me...aint no thing. nuke em with some oil and carry on, being careful to only apply to affected areas. dont want to kill the friendly beasts.

100% absolutely for sure... Common, benign soil mites eggs survive the promix processing and dehydration, and later hatch when hydrating. Iv done a test on the pm after suspecting this. 100%. Everyone i see using pm even, they all say they have no bugs, but when i sit over their pots for a few minutes i can find and trap a soul mite, then show them w a magnifying glass. Most dont even know they r there, but they r.

100% absolutely for sure... Common, benign soil mites eggs survive the promix processing and dehydration, and later hatch when hydrating. Iv done a test on the pm after suspecting this. 100%. Everyone i see using pm even, they all say they have no bugs, but when i sit over their pots for a few minutes i can find and trap a soul mite, then show them w a magnifying glass. Most dont even know they r there, but they r.

they are harmless as long as dead stuff is there to eat ?  I have thousands of nematodes and some other crawlers prolly those mites in every bag of soil I use. I dont kill anything  but I dont see damage or flyers or anything outside of the dirt. ....except when those fungus gnats find their way into my cloning area and start nibbling my precious roots.

^^^ yeah, but we r talking about peat, so i would imagine some of the mites eat that as well, though the promix has the harzianum in it, and most soil mites eat the fungi. I would also imagine they will consume whatever organic additives one might add.

I say benign in that iv never found any detrimental growth as seen w critters that eat the roots such as the aphids.

But they do reproduce by the hundreds, so they could b thought of as a nuisance pest, kind of like springtails.

You guys are lucky if you have had root aphids and didnt see any detrimental growth. I personally never had them, but my buddy had them in rockwool and soilless and they got down right out of control. Yields were so tiny it would of been better for him to wipe and restart rather than trying to fight them, especially in the soilless mix.

The bugs i found are what i siad in an earlier post tho. Pretty harmless unless in large numbers, the main problem comes from the wax defense they have. It attracts md and other nastier pests. The problem looks to of been taken care of tho. I found 4 in total, but they are small so i sprayed early plants and veg plants with an h202, soap mix. It dries them right up.

You guys are lucky if you have had root aphids and didnt see any detrimental growth. I personally never had them, but my buddy had them in rockwool and soilless and they got down right out of control. Yields were so tiny it would of been better for him to wipe and restart rather than trying to fight them, especially in the soilless mix.

Maybe my wording was off... I brought up aphids as causing detrimental effects, not that they were harmless. Was just saying that some/most soil mites are benign.