Dea Going To Put Kratom On Schedule One

I would be amazed if they were able to save kratom.

dea doesn't budge.

We will win this War, because this is a War worth fighting and winning

It is in Obama/Lynch  hands now He/she should do the right thing, If he/she does not this election could be all Trumps 

Edited by cristinew

Executive Order 12866 of September 30, 1993
Regulatory Planning and Review
The American people deserve a regulatory system that works for them,
not against them: a regulatory system that protects and improves their health,
safety, environment, and well-being and improves the performance of the
economy without imposing unacceptable or unreasonable costs on society;

OK, here it is day five and I am doing good, hope to get some sleep tonight. Day three felt like I had the flu and did not sleep well. Day four, tired and felt like I was getting over the flu, RLS and insomnia at night until a dose was taken, still did not sleep well. I could probably increase my dose of Kratom to minimize the withdrawal symptoms, but I do not want to build a tolerance, and I think I need to know where I'm at as far as the withdrawal process goes so I can then reduce and stop the Kratom and see what that's like. All in the interest of science, and "Inquiring minds want to know!" :geek:

Too bad I am  going to have to go back on the pills at the end of this month though, unless someone throws a Hail Mary to keep this herbal medicine from becoming illegal!

Most likely an irrelevant issue in terms of the electiion

Maybe for you ,  Bush +152 Over Gore  ("By the strictest standard — one that requires a completely clean punch for the vote to count — Bush would have won by 152 votes. Elections can be close my friend ,

Edited by cristinew

After Banning Kratom, DEA Says It Might Be a Useful Medicine  Change of Tune?  Could it be that the DEA violated 3 statutes ?  Who are the Criminals Now? 

In its rush to judgment DEA has violated several of the most fundamental statutes which” regulate the regulators”, including the Data (Information) Quality Act, Executive Order 12866 and OMB’s Peer Review guidelines

It has been a week since I started Kratom and unfortunately I had to stop. Despite having rheumatoid arthritis, and much joint degeneration, I work construction, ( gotta make a living and the ssdi judge told me if I can drive on pain pills then I can work! wtf?) it is all I have ever done and it is killing me! The Kratom works wonderfully, the only problem is that it causes profuse sweating, and I mean profuse. I had the first few days of this experiment off and did not have any issues, but after returning to work and when doing manual labor, all of my clothing became drenched with sweat within an hour of working. I am very disappointing that I am having this side effect and cannot continue on this natural medication, because it does work! By the way when I stopped the Kratom it did not cause any problems to be of consideration. Any idiot that claims that this is a drug that should be banned because it is dangerous has never used it or is just plain in the pocket of the pharmaceutical industry. I had no adverse effects from this plant except the sweating issue, and had I not been forced to continue to wreck my body until I am completely crippled in order to support the governments insatiable need for money, I could probably take this medication and have a much better quality of life that does not have me thinking death is the only way out of this situation. What are people who have been successfully using this going to do if this ban goes through? Who has the right to condemn a section of our society to live in extreme pain, use real illegal drugs, contemplate or commit suicide, or to live life in fear of prison because they use a simple natural remedy? ANYTHING can be misused and cause serious health issues and or death if a person has the mind to cause self-destruction. Look at what alcohol is doing to society, and how many people die each and every year because of it? Why isn't the DEA banning alcohol to protect us from ourselves? Furthermore why do we need a govt agency to protect us from ourselves? It has come down to the fact that the adult population is no longer considered capable of making rational decisions without govt intervention. I am surprised we are still allowed to vote, because who knows what’s best for me or you than Uncle Sam and his posse of corporate oligarchs!

BTW it can be an  Opiate withdraw; Early symptoms typically begin in the first 24 hours after you stop using the drug, and they include: muscle aches. restlessness. anxiety. lacrimation (eyes tearing up) runny nose. excessive sweating.  Taper off the opiates and the sweating will be much less,

This was 6 days after I stopped the pills and having been through wds a few times before, I've never experienced profuse sweating such as this. If we can get this ban stopped I will give it another go, but I need to make a living and the sweating is very uncomfortable and embarrassing. I think I need a much longer taper period from the pills so I do not have to take so much Kratom to get relief from the wds, could be the problem. The pain relief I got from Kratom is excellent and it does not impair me in any manner such as opiates do.

We have some great news that needs urgent action BY 5pm ET TUESDAY! We, with our lobbyist's help, have found some champions in Congress to write a bipartisan "Dear Colleague" letter asking the DEA to slow down this process. They are Congressmen Pocan of WI, who I met with the night before the March, and Salmon of AZ.

The letter asks, among other things, that the Director of OMB and Acting Director of the DEA delay a final decision on the placement of Kratom as a schedule I, provide ample time for public comment on this significant decision, and resolve any inconsistencies with other Federal Agencies regarding the use of Kratom.

So this is what we need you to do!!! Find your Rep here and e-mail them over the weekend! http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ Then use the number below to call YOUR representative first thing Monday morning. Tell them you are a responsible adult consumer of Kratom for help with ______ (ailment) and ask that they please contact Congressman Pocan's office to sign-on to the Pocan/Salmon Dear Colleague letter on this issue.

To call your Member of Congress: 
US Capitol Switchboard (202) 224-3121

Look what the White House just sent out:

Background on Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week

Washington, D.C. – Today, President Obama proclaimed September 18-24, 2016, as Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week. As part of the week, Members of the President’s Cabinet and federal agencies are focusing on the work being done to address the national epidemic. KRATOM??

Federal agencies are using all available tools KRATOM???????? to combat this epidemic by expanding evidence-based prevention and treatment programs, increasing access to the overdose-reversal medicine naloxone, improving opioid prescribing practices, and supporting targeted enforcement activities. Meanwhile, state and community leaders are working together to save lives KRATOM???????through innovative partnerships between public safety and public health.

However, while many Americans have been helped because they got the treatment and care they needed, too many still do not receive care KRATOM???—often because it is not accessible in their communities. That is why the President continues to call on Congress to provide $1.1 billion in new funding to make sure everyone who wants treatment for an opioid use disorder can get the treatment they need KRATOM??. Every day that passes without Congressional action to provide these additional resources is a missed opportunity to save lives.

During Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week, the White House will host parents affected by the epidemic. Attorney General Lynch and other Justice Department officials—as well as U.S. Attorney’s Offices across the country—will participate in over 160 different events. The Department of Agriculture will host state forums on the epidemic in Connecticut and Colorado. Veterans Affairs Secretary McDonald will lead a forum in Washington, DC, on treatment and support for veterans with opioid use disorder.

Here is a partial listing of Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week activities (additional activities and actions will be announced throughout the next week):

Monday, September 19
National Drug Control Policy Director Michael Botticelli and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack will host a roundtable conversation in the White House with parents from across the country whose family members have been affected by the prescription opioid and heroin epidemic. Press inquiries should be directed to Mediainquiry@ondcp.eop.gov.

Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates will visit a Bureau of Prisons (BOP) Community Treatment Services program in Washington, DC. The Community Treatment Program is the final stage of BOP’s Residential Drug Abuse Program, as the individuals completing their sentences transition through Residential Reentry Centers. This visit will highlight BOPs efforts to provide treatment to individuals with substance use disorders. Press inquiries should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs at press@usdoj.gov.

Acting Bureau of Prisons Director Thomas Kane will meet participants in a Residential Drug Abuse Program at the Federal Correctional Institution in Cumberland, MD. Press inquiries should be directed to the DOJ Press office at press@doj.gov.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Farm Service Agency and Rural Development offices in key affected states will be hosting forums to bring together government officials, medical professionals, law enforcement, and other stakeholders to raise awareness of the issue, forge partnerships, identify possible solutions and highlight the need for more treatment resources in rural communities. The first two will be held September 19 in Tolland, Connecticut, and September 20 in Brighton, Colorado. Press inquiries should be directed to press@oc.usda.gov.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016
Attorney General Loretta Lynch will travel to Lexington, Kentucky, to hold a student town hall at a high school, meet with parents who have lost their children to overdose, and then close the day at the University of Kentucky for a policy speech on how the Administration is addressing the epidemic through prevention, enforcement and treatment. Press inquiries should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs at press@usdoj.gov.

Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Forces Director Bruce Ohr will travel to New Mexico to hold meetings with the leaders of three communities in the Espanola Valley. During his visit, he will talk with tribal leaders to discuss federal assistance to address the epidemic in Indian Country and best practices for first responders to carry naloxone. Press inquiries should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs at press@usdoj.gov.

Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald, Principal Associate Attorney General Bill Baer, and National Drug Control Policy Director Michael Botticelli will participate in a roundtable discussion on the Administration's efforts to assist our nation's veterans suffering from opioid use disorder. Press inquiries should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs at press@usdoj.gov.

Thursday, September 22, 2016:
Director Botticelli will speak at the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials Annual Meeting in Minneapolis on the important role that public health leaders must play in addressing the epidemic. Press inquiries should be directed to Mediainquiry@ondcp.eop.gov.

Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Director Ron Davis will hold an event on federal support for targeted enforcement strategies at the Indianapolis State Police Headquarters. Press inquiries should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs at press@usdoj.gov.

Additional information on recent Administration actions to address the opioid epidemic:
Aug 31, 2016: HHS Awards $53 Million to Help Address Opioid Epidemic

August 17, 2016: Obama Administration Funds New Projects to Disrupt Prescription Opioid, Fentanyl and Heroin Trafficking

August 05, 2016: White House Hosts Panel on Effective Treatment for Overdose Survivors for More Than 600 Medical Providers and First Responders

July 06, 2016: Obama Administration Takes More Actions to Address the Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic

June 29, 2016: White House Releases Estimated State Opioid Treatment Funding Levels under President’s Budget Proposal

April 08, 2016: White House Director of Drug Policy Joins National and Local Leaders in Announcing Medication-Assisted Treatment Trainings

March 28, 2016: Obama Administration Announces Additional Actions to Address the Prescription Opioid Abuse and Heroin Epidemic

For more information about the Office of National Drug Control Policy visit:http://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp

http://speciosa.org/kratom-movement-draws-attention-from-congress-and-more-on-the-deas-plan-to-schedule-1/ 

The DEA’s deadline for placing kratom alkaloids on the schedule 1 controlled substance list grows closer, and the outpouring of support for the ancient plant grows louder. More than 130,000 people have signed a petition on WhiteHouse.gov to keep kratom legal. The kratom community in the U.S. is coming out in force to oppose what it views as government overreach that will endanger lives.

The effort is drawing attention in high places. Two congressmen have penned a “dear colleague letter” asking that the DEA ”delay a final decision on the placement of kratom as a schedule I [and] provide ample time for public comment on this significant decision,” which the agency has so far declined to do. Congressmen Mark Pocan (D-Wis.) and Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) drafted the letter that will be circulated to every member of Congress. The kratom community is now reaching out to their representatives to sign onto the Pocan-Salmon letter.

you realize that big Pharma aka oxy and bayer heroin own this country, right?

kratom and marijuana are just competitors. banned forever

They do not  own me ..Do you realize we are not going away?? and we are going to win...  We are more active in politics than a bunch of stoners from normal  Now instead of complaining Please call and write your congressmen  and urge them to sign onto the  Pocan/Salmon dead colleague letter! 

It is true that Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee signed on to our Pocan/Salmon letter! Call your congressmen and Urge them to Please sign onto the Pocan/Salmon Dear Colleague letter Phone:Call before 4:30PM EST. Please do this before the end of the day Tuesday 

202 224 3121

Edited by cristinew

Dear Colleague Letter

PREVENT DRUG ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OVERREACH AND PRESERVE CONSUMER ACCESS TO NATURAL HERBAL SUPPLEMENT KRATOM  

Join Rep. Mark Pocan in Urging the Office of Management and Budget and the Drug Enforcement Agency to Delay Final Action Listing Kratom as a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act

Deadline Tuesday September 20th COB

Dear Colleague:  

I invite you to join me in sending a bipartisan letter to the Drug Enforcement Agency to encourage more research into the natural supplement, Kratom. Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is made from the leaves of a tropical tree native to Southeast Asia and a relative of the coffee plant. Kratom leaves are often brewed like a tea, or crushed and mixed with water. In the U.S., kratom has become popular among people coping with chronic pain and others trying to wean themselves off opioids or alcohol.

The main chemical is mitragynine. It binds to some of the same receptors as opioids, providing some pain relief and a calming effect, but, not the same high. And the chemical doesn't cause the same, sometimes deadly, side effects as opioids, such as respiratory depression.

On August 31, the Drug Enforcement Agency published a “notice of intent” in the Federal Register stating its plan to list the herb as a Schedule I substance, the most restrictive category, alongside heroin and LSD, effective September 30th with no opportunity for a public comment period.  

The National Institutes of Health has funded a joint study conducted by the University of Massachusetts and the University of Mississippi to investigate the use of kratom as a remedy for opioid withdrawal. This study led the researchers to apply for a patent identifying the kratom extract, mitragynine, as a useful treatment for other addictive drugs besides opiate derivatives. The DEA’s decision to place kratom as a Schedule I substance will put a halt on federally funded research and innovation surrounding the treatment of individuals suffering from opioid and other addictions—a significant public health threat.

The letter asks the Director of OMB and Acting Director of the DEA to delay a final decision on the placement of Kratom as a schedule I, provide ample time for public comment on this significant decision, and resolve any inconsistencies with other Federal Agencies regarding the use of Kratom.  

Please join me in this effort to prevent the DEA from regulatory overreach and restricting consumer access to this natural herbal supplement. If you have questions or would like to sign on to the letters, please contact Leslie Zelenko in Rep. Mark Pocan’s office at 202-225-2906 or Leslie.Zelenko@mail.house.gov.  

Sincerely,  

Mark Pocan

Member of Congress  

The Honorable Charles P. Rosenberg  Administrator (Acting)  Drug Enforcement Administration  Lincoln Place-West  700 Army Navy Drive  Arlington, VA 22202  

September X, 2016  

Dear Acting Administrator Rosenberg:  

We write with concern about your agency’s proposed regulatory decision to utilize section 201 of the Controlled Substance Act (CSA) to temporarily place Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine, more commonly known as Kratom, into schedule I of the CSA. We urge your agency to delay a final decision on the placement of Kratom as a schedule I, provide ample time for public comment on this significant decision, and resolve any inconsistencies with other Federal Agencies regarding the use of Kratom.  

As our nation continues to combat the public health crisis of opioid abuse, the federal government has invested significant resources to develop alternative pain management strategies. This includes a study funded by the National Institutes of Health in partnership with the University of Massachusetts and the University of Mississippi to investigate the use of Kratom as a remedy for opioid withdrawal. This study led the researchers to apply for a patent identifying the Kratom extract, mitragynine, as a useful treatment for other addictive drugs besides opiate derivatives. The DEA’s decision to place Kratom as a Schedule I substance will put a halt on federally funded research and innovation surrounding the treatment of individuals suffering from opioid and other addictions—a significant public health threat.  

DEA’s Federal Register notice posted on August 31, 2016 proposes placing Kratom in the most restrictive category- schedule I- within 30 days. This significant regulatory action was done without any opportunity for public comment from researchers, consumers, and other stakeholders. This hasty decision could have serious effects on consumer access and choice of an internationally recognized herbal supplement.  

We urge the DEA to delay finalizing the decision to define Kratom as a schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act and to engage consumers, researchers, and other stakeholders, in keeping with well-established protocol for such matters. A departure from such guidelines threatens the transparency of the scheduling process and its responsiveness to the input of both citizens and the scientific community. We look forward to your timely response.  

Sincerely,  

The Honorable Shaun Donovan Director Office of Management and Budget 725 17th Street, NW Washington, DC  20503  

September X, 2016  

Dear Director Donovan:  

We urge you to use your statutory authority to require the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) to delay their proposed regulatory action to temporarily place Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine, more commonly known as Kratom, into schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), until there is sufficient opportunity for public comment and Federal Agencies to work out discrepancies between them in terms of their understanding of the use of Kratom.  

The DEA published their notice of intent in the Federal Register on August 31, 2016, only 30 days before they plan to finalize this decision to place this substance in the most restrictive classification under CSA. The Agency did not provide any public comment process for this significant regulatory decision, which will restrict consumer choice and access to internationally recognized herbal product. We believe the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA), under your jurisdiction, must utilize its statutory authority to manage and oversee this specific regulatory action to ensure the DEA is not violating federal law.    

In the Federal Register notice to temporarily place Kratom as a Schedule 1 substance under the CSA, the DEA references that “available data and information for mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine indicate that these substances have a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision.” However, researchers at University of Massachusetts and the University of Mississippi received two National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants to investigate the use of Kratom as a remedy for opioid withdrawal. This led the researchers to apply for a patent identifying the Kratom extract, mitragynine, as a useful treatment for other addictive drugs besides opiate derivatives.  The DEA’s decision to place Kratom as a Schedule I substance will put a halt on federally funded research and innovation surrounding the treatment of individuals suffering from opioid and other addictions—a significant public health threat.  

Due to the short time frame provided by the DEA’s decision, we urge your agency to immediately utilize your statutory authority and delay the process to place Kratom in schedule I

until sufficient public comment is received and inconsistencies between Federal Agencies view of the product are addressed. We look forward to your timely response.  

Sincerely,