Will Caregivers Still Be Needed

nvinson105

Your title asks if caregivers will still be needed, not if they will be able to grow.

I've been asking myself the same question on need.  My personal experience of the last year or so is that anyone who is a regular user of cannabis is either growing for themselves or knows at least two or three who do grow and have extras.  The caregiver market, at least my experience, seems to have really dried up.  With these new laws in place, it is going to be that harder for caregivers to compete.

Yes, I am on the verge of quitting as a caregiver.

Your title asks if caregivers will still be needed, not if they will be able to grow.

I've been asking myself the same question on need.  My personal experience of the last year or so is that anyone who is a regular user of cannabis is either growing for themselves or knows at least two or three who do grow and have extras.  The caregiver market, at least my experience, seems to have really dried up.  With these new laws in place, it is going to be that harder for caregivers to compete.

Yes, I am on the verge of quitting as a caregiver.

Those 2-3 others are caregivers (per section 8), whether carded or not.  I understand what you mean about patients knowing others who grow more than they need.  It's been that way for a very long time. 

I think what we are seeing is that more and more people have learned to grow their own and are now able to grow more than they need.  Also, this phenomenon illustrates what many of us thought from the beginning - that patients will have the best experience with growers who are friends or family.  And likely, many of these types of growers don't need more than 12 plants to supply 3-4 patients, and since they trust the patients they see no need to continue being a carded CG.

The writing has been on the wall for a few years.  Unfortunately, a lot of people either thought they needed 12 plants per patient or they signed-up more patients so they could grow overages to dispensaries.  In either case, the initial price per meds was very high.  People made decisions to ramp-up to sell overages or to open a dispensary based on the market "back then."  Look back to what Resto said several years ago.  He was told by a LEO something along the lines of "We're never going to let you sell it."

We are entering a new ear in MMJ in Michigan.  We have an educated and growing population of people who are great growers.  I think as time goes by, there will be a smaller and smaller need for retail outlets.

I see no change in the caregiver market except more caregivers. Retail cant match CG.  And ya can do both retail and CG.

I seen no negative impact.  Only thing that Cg's are negative for are retail businesses.  Retail are who we have to fight now to keep our grow rights. ;-)

Not following this at all.  Six years ago, finding patients was pretty easy especially if you had a grow already going and din't make them wait 6 months for meds.  These days, I am honestly having trouble giving it away (as-in provide freebies).  People are either patients who grow their own and know other patients for variety and when they are out or simply know enough patients that they don't worry about it.  They're not committing to a CG or even a patient card if they don't have to.

Of course caregivers will still be needed because the overhead costs for the provision centers will be what keeps us all in business would you rather pay $ 200 or $220 or $300 to $400 a zip? 

Also not everyone is comfortable walking into a place with cops sitting around the corner taking down plate numbers .

I was just talking to Act Labs.  To comply with the new laws, they will have a testing bundle.  Each "Batch" according to them will need to be tested (same strain, same grower, same time, same dry and cure) and that bundle will be $300.  No one is going to want to test anything from a CG unless they can access at least a pound to cover the cost of the test.

And then the multiple transports at who knows how much, yes dispensary prices will be high, however some people want the security, reliability, and consistency of a dispensary instead of getting moldy bug infested junk from some dudes basement.  Now before I get flamed for that, I am a CG and I never use pesticides in my flower, I don't have bugs(tested), and don't have a mold problem.  A lot of CG's are like me, top quality, but I have seen plenty of them that I refuse to smoke because it is so bad.

Bad CG's are the problem, and most of the PT's I have picked up from problem CG's, they have known the CG for years, some were even getting it before the MMMA passed from them.  A good CG is hard to find, and I know all of the good CG's I know of have a waiting list.

I think this post is kinda all over the place, hope it helps someone...

I was just talking to Act Labs.  To comply with the new laws, they will have a testing bundle.  Each "Batch" according to them will need to be tested (same strain, same grower, same time, same dry and cure) and that bundle will be $300.  No one is going to want to test anything from a CG unless they can access at least a pound to cover the cost of the test.

And then the multiple transports at who knows how much, yes dispensary prices will be high, however some people want the security, reliability, and consistency of a dispensary instead of getting moldy bug infested junk from some dudes basement.  Now before I get flamed for that, I am a CG and I never use pesticides in my flower, I don't have bugs(tested), and don't have a mold problem.  A lot of CG's are like me, top quality, but I have seen plenty of them that I refuse to smoke because it is so bad.

Bad CG's are the problem, and most of the PT's I have picked up from problem CG's, they have known the CG for years, some were even getting it before the MMMA passed from them.  A good CG is hard to find, and I know all of the good CG's I know of have a waiting list.

I think this post is kinda all over the place, hope it helps someone...

Who is act labs and why do they think that? The rules haven't even been written yet?

Who is act labs and why do they think that? The rules haven't even been written yet?

Act Labs, in lansing.  They are one of the few that do MMJ testing the in the state.  Well, they can get a really good idea on costs as a) they are already doing the testing, and b) the bill says what type of testing is required.  Potency, Pesticide, mold/mildew, etc.

Which one of those tests will tell me the ppm's of hydrocarbons in a bho concentrate?

Currently concentrates and transfers to testing labs outside the registry are verboten , but Clive, the guy in the white shirt with the ketchup stain said he would give it a shot. What's your address? Do you have a waste water hook up?

Edited by beourbud

however some people want the security, reliability, and consistency of a dispensary instead of getting moldy bug infested junk from some dudes basement

Bad CG's are the problem.

You've identified a real problem, but jumped to flawed conclusions, because your reasoning is off.

If given a choice, all other being equal, most people would surely choose a clean product, free from mold, bugs, and chemical residuals. No doubt, it is a 'problem' that this is so difficult for most growers to achieve, because it is... Difficult. It requires specific information, and the ability to apply this in real life. Most people fail at it, for a list of reasons. It is the rare person that can manage it all.

The conclusion that dispos are any better is just wrong. You've got to reason that when taking a problem at an existing level or size, and then scaling it up by seveal degrees... The problem only gets bigger. And the primary reason that someone wants to go bigger, is to make more money. Usually, and not always, but usually the people trying to make money either have never grown for themselves or never took the time or interest to become very good at growing. These people are not the ones growing exceptional quality mmj, but they are the ones trying to grow the most of whatever it is they can to make the most possible money. Quality is only important in sense of whether or not it is good enough to sell enough to make the most money.

Just because it comes in a nice and new storefront doesnt mean it is of quality. Added to this is the fact that the larger you grow, doing it for as little as you reasonably can, with a fundamental lack in knowledge and/or experience, mandates that those problems will rear their big heads. And that means emergency counter measures, because you sure cant afford 50 units of unusable mold infested trash. And that means chemicals. Even if there is no physical residue on the exterior of the bud that happens to get selected and submitted for testing , is that really indicative of the entire batch? And does that exclude the likely reality that chems were nonetheless used, at some point in the plant life cycle?

The larger the grows get, the greater the financial burden to land a successful crop. Failures are bigger, not only the problems. So ultimately, you do what you have to do... And that is the real dilemma commercial croppers face. And again, being in it for the money, means you limit the costs (lowest startup and reg ops) and mitigate the problems (apply cheap alternatives vs doing it correctly to begin).

Finding a good anything is difficult, because it is hard to be good. But as you scale this up, the bads do a much greater harm just because of the simple fact they impact more people.

I'm curious if any of these bills allows for cg to use testing facilities? As of now it would be illegal to transfer meds to a lab unless someone at that lab was one of my five patients.

Did NPRA get this worked out since they are all about the patients safety?

4210 contains protections for transferring to labs if you follow all rules from 4209...