Will Caregivers Still Be Needed

nvinson105

Mark my words, investing in commercial cannabis in Michigan is a bad deal.

All those wannabe scarfaces in the city are gonna go underground.

The problem for you is now there are 20x as many.

When you take away a mans means to make a living wage he will do what he got to do to feed his family.

Cannabis should be a Cottage Industry ,

beourbud talks out his arsehole daily.

If you are getting 800/lb for your outdoor, it is because it sucks. It would  likely never pass an inspection.  Outdoor greenhouse is a bit better and is what the prices in Colorado represent. 1600-2000/lb.

Top shelf indoor organic still gets the highest prices easily ranging fro 2000-2400 no problem.

When looking at Colorado prices they quote, remember it is that price for greenhouse meds.  Their top notchers still get more for indoor and even more for indoor juicy organic.

As far as my prediction,  Dispenaries get hosed because they are forced into the margins of competition where every single owner is buying for the exact same price the exact same pot from the exact same people. The margins is where those wars will be fought and those that  undercut will win. Will take 2-3 years to run out the wannabes.  Standard game of retail markup within tense competition.

Prices will be higher in Michigan than Colorado. On a general basis for years Colorado has been cheaper than just about anywhere. 

Wholesale indoor in michigan will likely start at between 2k-2500--lb.  It will eventually drop to about 1800 over the next 5 years.

I haven't seen anything saying a Dispensary can't go inspect/view it at the grower's location. Send off a sample to the lab, get results, view the product and set prices, etc, then pay a transporter to bring it over. Now the problem is, how do you make sure the grower gives the transporter the exact same product he showed the Dispensary?

one of the bills in the package is seed to sale tracking

I got $50/ lb, yes pound, for a bag seed, seeded grow back in the early 70's. Man, the times they are a' changing!

I never paid more than $80 a pound for true Colombian Gold back in the mid to late 70s out of U OF M  back then that was the gateway for bud hash and mushrooms .

Home testing kit. $2.00

Good for 24 samples

Is it a coincidence that the person who promotes outdoor grows mocks testing?

Dispensaries around here (when they were open) didn't have much in common, but one thing I heard from everyone of them: we do not buy outdoor weed - we have many sick patients and the last we want is give them some mold infection.

Andy Williams — president and CEO of Medicine Man and Medicine Man Technologies, a Denver recreational dispensary chain and marijuana-business consulting firm with over forty clients in fourteen states — says that like any other industry, the retail marijuana market responds to factors such as competition and supply and demand.

“My dispensaries were charging $55 an eighth before tax when we first opened in 2014, and now we charge $25,” he says. “But in states like Massachusetts, the prices are still high because consumers don’t have as many options, or the buyer pool is limited because of medical marijuana restrictions. Here, we have availability.”

Given that there is no limit on the number of licenses issued by the state and the large number of dispensaries being open without legality, I would expect to see an explosion in the number of growers, processors, and retailers the first few years of this new law.  I am thinking that will flood the market to the point where the price gets low enough that folks who planned to build a business on $300 ounces will go out of business.

People who use marijuana will either get a card so they can grow for themselves and/or use a dispensary.  Or they won't get a card and just buy from their friends who cards (this does not make them caregivers).  I don't see people getting a card to get a caregiver.  The only exception would be caregivers who get patients by giving them freebies, but this bill kills that business model.

Given that there is no limit on the number of licenses issued by the state and the large number of dispensaries being open without legality, I would expect to see an explosion in the number of growers, processors, and retailers the first few years of this new law. I am thinking that will flood the market to the point where the price gets low enough that folks who planned to build a business on $300 ounces will go out of business.

People who use marijuana will either get a card so they can grow for themselves and/or use a dispensary. Or they won't get a card and just buy from their friends who cards (this does not make them caregivers). I don't see people getting a card to get a caregiver. The only exception would be caregivers who get patients by giving them freebies, but this bill kills that business model.

Are you saying that if a patient sells meds to a patient with no card that patient 1 can't assert a caregiver's defense under section 8?

Just to be clear, section 8 allows anyone who assists a patient with medical use of marijuana to assert a defense as a CG, even if neither the buyer nor seller have a card.

Edited by Highlander

Are you saying that if a patient sells meds to a patient with no card that patient 1 can't assert a caregiver's defense under section 8?

I know law enforcement has based every single raid in this area on the fact that they sent a patient with a valid card into a dispensary and bought marijuana from someone who was not registered to them as a caregiver.

Whether a judge let's them assert that a defense after the fact, I have no idea.  But I am guessing you an explanation to say otherwise.

Yes. The seller is subject to arrest but still has a CG defense under Section 8. I didn't think you were talking about a guy at a dispensary selling to a patient. I thought the point of discussion was a patient buying from a dispensary and then reselling meds to a friend. The latter situation is the one I was commenting on. I know a few patients who use as little as 7 grams per month. I have a registered patient who uses about 1 oz per year. Such patients might come to the conclusion that paying for a Dr cert and registration fees isn't worth it if they have a trusted friend who is willing to supply them even with dispensary-priced meds.

Just to be clear, section 8 allows anyone who assists a patient with medical use of marijuana to assert a defense as a CG, even if neither the buyer nor seller have a card.

It would be VERY hard to assert a defense without a Doctor letter saying previous to the assistance the patient was told to use MMJ from a Doctor.  See, one thing here is you can't self diagnose a condition or determine that your diagnosed condition needs MJ.  A Doctor, licensed in MI, has to be the one to say you should use MJ or there is no defense in court.

But, if the PT doesn't have a card, but has a letter from a Doctor BEFORE the transfer, you could use section 8 in court.  Now growing without a CG card... Sorry, no defense for it unless it is only for you and you have a Dr letter stating you would benefit from MJ...

I can't see outdoor commercial grows as being a viable option in this state. The weather is too unpredictable in the fall. It's great if it stays warm but one good early freeze just before harvest could wipe you out.

You also have problems with bugs and worst of all mold and bud rot. I've had beautiful buds ruined overnight after a big rain. Rot from the inside out.

I can't see outdoor commercial grows as being a viable option in this state. The weather is too unpredictable in the fall. It's great if it stays warm but one good early freeze just before harvest could wipe you out.

You also have problems with bugs and worst of all mold and bud rot. I've had beautiful buds ruined overnight after a big rain. Rot from the inside out.

They pound the chems in the emerald valley, always have had to, no realy way around it. But in mi.., it will all be just great, no? Crazy the ideas of outdooring it here. Just about the worst climate for it. Still believe the outdoor croppers here either just dont know what properly clean nugs are, dont care, or are lying. The climate here is perfectly made for mold. Even straight hemp will mold in large fields. Gotta spray. Ugly truth no one admits to, or understands.