Will Caregivers Still Be Needed

nvinson105

Indigro,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, the problem is bad CG's, and not all of them are bad.  I consider myself one of the best in the area, not always highest THC, but always a clean well grown plant.  And mistakes are made, but that is what a good grower does, learn, and move on.

I wasn't saying Dispensaries are the answer.  They help, but they are not a silver bullet by any means, it still has to be grown.  But when you have an excellent grower, and many of them exist in Michigan and on this site, they can only help 5 people.  I provide to 5 patients and myself.  I never have a need to flower more than 12 plants at a time, and still have overages.  But I can only help 5 at a time and I could greatly increase my grow (legal for 72, even with mothers, clones and veg I normally sit around 36-40). 

To me, dispensaries take the handcuffs off the patients, allowing them more freedom, and prevents them from being trapped by a bad CG.  If you have no ability to grow for yourself, and don't know a good grower, what options do you have?  None really currently.  I have several patients who came to me because their grower sucked, gave them horrible bud that I wouldn't smoke if it was free, and not consistent at all.

I fear that these dispensary bills are spelling the end for CG's, and I do not want that at all.  I am pro-dispensary, but it scares me to think they could remove the CG system.  I am 100% against the prairie plant systems bill because it was too commercial.  I would rather see farmers markets than dispensaries really...  But I don't see that happening.

Caregivers are not going anywhere, they will still be needed, and i suspect the really good growers that are currently caregivers, will be running/working/or growing in at least some of these commercial ops. Dont mix the two up tho, these establishments are 100 percent for profit, alot of caregivers are not.

The new law as written, you can't work in a grow and be a CG.

6.b. While holding a license as a grower, not be a registered
primary caregiver and not employ an individual who is
simultaneously a registered primary caregiver.

Well I Grow TOP shelf med's and do not use ANY chemicals,,,,,, My people that I grow for love my med's. I do not grow in a basement no bugs or mold....LMAO and will match my med' to any ones, People want to choose. NOT have the state cram money in there pockets.....

Right On

The fknrepublicans can't compete in a free market and apparently there republican friends are crappy caregivers as well.

Vote every republican out of office November 8

Edited by beourbud

Has anyone taken the time to figure a projected cost per ounce for dispensary meds with the new regulations taken into account? We know they will cost 3% more right off the bat because of the tax.

I would guess there would have to be at least a 10% increase to cover the new regulations.

Has anyone taken the time to figure a projected cost per ounce for dispensary meds with the new regulations taken into account? We know they will cost 3% more right off the bat because of the tax.

I would guess there would have to be at least a 10% increase to cover the new regulations.

Seems to me it would have to be a lot more than 10% considering all the new fingers in the pie.

I haven't thought this all the way through, so it's a mental exercise and other opinions are welcomed.

Talk to my local Disp this morning. They WANT my overages. Currently will pay $175, 200, 225 / oz depending on quality, THC level, etc. I pay for the testing: $50/strain.

I want to maintain that $200 level. The "transporter" wants 10%. Now, $220. The "processor" wants 10%, now $242. The "testing fac" wants 10%, so now $266 and so on.

Disp meds will either go through the the roof, or will fall depending on supply and demand. Can you imagine the hit the small grower will take if Disp prices drop through the floor?

My logic may be faulty, but (this new law) as a business model, well, I don't know....

Logic is faulty. I can say unequivocally that the wholesale price under this system will not be $200 per ounce. Each new layer believes it is taking its cut from the grower.

Ok, at what point does it become a losing proposition for the grower? $150? $100? What does it cost a skilled grower to produce an oz of high quality organic meds? $50? $100? $150/ oz? Does anyone have a guess as to what the cost is to produce an oz in CO, WA, etc. in a commercial operation?

I see your point. I suppose my whole premise is moot as there won't be any small growers left anyway.

Ok, at what point does it become a losing proposition for the grower? $150? $100? What does it cost a skilled grower to produce an oz of high quality organic meds? $50? $100? $150/ oz? Does anyone have a guess as to what the cost is to produce an oz in CO, WA, etc. in a commercial operation?

I see your point. I suppose my whole premise is moot as there won't be any small growers left anyway.

Small growers can't sell to a DISP, so it is moot...

I spoke to a lab, the testing they think 4209 calls for is a $300 test.  Saying people want percentages, well that isn't going to work.  A transporter who wants a percent, sorry, but you don't get a percent because it isn't sold yet...

I think commercial growers will get their prices around 2000 a pound, set fee on labs, set fee on transport.  A CG can't sell to a Disp, so it is only large commercial grows who get to sell and economy of scale, business electric costs, etc that will be very profitable to the grower just on scale alone.

I forgot, can licenced grows grow outside?

I don't believe the bills address this yet. A lot of rules to be made up yet.

How is a dispensary supposed to know if they want to purchase flowers from a grower? Pay a transporter to bring some over to inspect and send it back if it is not up to par? Who is going to pay the transporter. For this reason I would think every dispensary would want to have their own grow and be self sufficient.

I don't believe the bills address this yet. A lot of rules to be made up yet.

How is a dispensary supposed to know if they want to purchase flowers from a grower? Pay a transporter to bring some over to inspect and send it back if it is not up to par? Who is going to pay the transporter. For this reason I would think every dispensary would want to have their own grow and be self sufficient.

I haven't seen anything saying a Dispensary can't go inspect/view it at the grower's location.  Send off a sample to the lab, get results, view the product and set prices, etc, then pay a transporter to bring it over.  Now the problem is, how do you make sure the grower gives the transporter the exact same product he showed the Dispensary? 

I project inbetween 1400-2000 a lb to the grower. It will be very profitibable even at those prices for the grower. You have to consider in a commercial setting and the use of commercial lighting such as gavita's, that can produce nearly 3 pounds on just a 1000 watts. Even with conventional lighting, its not a hard feat to hit 2 lbs per 1000 watt. You expect overheads in just growing costs, to be less than 30 dollars an ounce, probably much less.

But initially, i think most people aggree the end cost to the consumer will be high, think around 15-30 dollars a gram for flower, which is not unreasonable looking at the start ups of other states, but will eventually level off settling at around 10-15 dollarsa gram. Just my 02.

Indigro,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, the problem is bad CG's, and not all of them are bad.  I consider myself one of the best in the area, not always highest THC, but always a clean well grown plant.  And mistakes are made, but that is what a good grower does, learn, and move on.

I wasn't saying Dispensaries are the answer.  They help, but they are not a silver bullet by any means, it still has to be grown.  But when you have an excellent grower, and many of them exist in Michigan and on this site, they can only help 5 people.  I provide to 5 patients and myself.  I never have a need to flower more than 12 plants at a time, and still have overages.  But I can only help 5 at a time and I could greatly increase my grow (legal for 72, even with mothers, clones and veg I normally sit around 36-40). 

To me, dispensaries take the handcuffs off the patients, allowing them more freedom, and prevents them from being trapped by a bad CG.  If you have no ability to grow for yourself, and don't know a good grower, what options do you have?  None really currently.  I have several patients who came to me because their grower sucked, gave them horrible bud that I wouldn't smoke if it was free, and not consistent at all.

I fear that these dispensary bills are spelling the end for CG's, and I do not want that at all.  I am pro-dispensary, but it scares me to think they could remove the CG system.  I am 100% against the prairie plant systems bill because it was too commercial.  I would rather see farmers markets than dispensaries really...  But I don't see that happening.

The new law as written, you can't work in a grow and be a CG.

6.b. While holding a license as a grower, not be a registered

primary caregiver and not employ an individual who is

simultaneously a registered primary caregiver.

anyone who has read the bills should be aware of that. I never said be both, just that you WILL see people who were once great caregivers, transition over to the new model, weather it is as an owner or just an employee, there will be michigan growers, growing michigan meds, receiving a legal paycheck for growing cannabis.

Pipe dreams

This ain't Colorado and thank God it's not Arkansas.

This year due to nirvana type conditions top shelf Sun Grown Cage Free Cannabis is projected at $800/lb

I hear there is so much cannabis out there it's getting hard to get rid of!

it will always be hard to "get rid off" mids passed off to ve top shelf...just saying. The markets info is there, just go look.