Pro Mix- Hp Or Bx

trichcycler

I posted what I know about it from my personal experience. You can't twist that into anything sinister. It's how it works with grow advice. 

My advice was for a real grower that might venture onto the thread. 

I've been using BX for about 7 years now. I use it to manage the moisture better when I use the auto watering system I invented out of necessity. 

This is great info rest, thank you. exactly what I was looking for, I am sorry I jumped to conclusions of your intent with your first post.

You prefer BX or is this whats available around you? My two sources are usually with both, and some new ones too-coco and more-.

i got the bx several times when they were not. I didnt notice any difference. maybe watering from the bottom didnt show any for me? but I did notice two

bags this summer-one gallon veg grow bags- that when transplanted showed some areas in the root ball which were yellow fungus. I cut it out of one and left another, never saw negative effets of either way. I think tpain has it right, a "bad spot" in the soiless mix, maybe a bad spot on the plasti bag, or maybe I infected it during a transplant from cup to bag. not sure. I know only of one other person reporting it so prolly rare/self caused. maybe even ferts used then.

again, sorry I jumped to conclusions, and thank you for sharing this. ;)

So let me ask you this, since promix is not dirt should we be following a more hydro based nutrients and ph schedule?

I always wondered this, cause most of the stuff I have used isn't specifically for hydro.

since there are no nutes in pro mix... you have to add something..

adding whatever depends on your preference.

Good question, but I don't know the answer. usually the nutes are general purpose. I wonder if there is a nute line specifically for pro mix and cannabis?

what have you been using?

Last time I bought Promix they had two stacks - both BX - one stack was plain BX and the other was BX with biofungicide. I bought the biofungicide mix. Plants have been in it for 6 weeks. So far I can discern no difference between plain BX and biofungicide BX in the way they are growing. So I don't know what, if any, good the biofungicide does.

Black bail of sunshine mix 4, i have found over the years usually out performs promix, there newrly identical in amendments etc, except i believe the sunshine mix only has about 45-50 percent peat. It has been a cpl years since i used promix, but then again the runs im finishing with "black magic" from home depot has beat out both of them. After a week in 3,5, and ten gal smart pots of black magic, i needed to water nearly everday. Im currently comparing the yellow bags of sunshine mix 4 now, they have more coir just like the black magic:

Soil- Soilless

Peat is soilless.

That's right

Those commercial bails come with some downsides

They are deficient of many nutrients, retain too much water and when you start growing trees the containers get to light and the tree tips over.

Soil is closer to potting soil/black dirt

We use soil with @ 2 parts sphagnum/wood product to 3 parts Composted manure soil.

Then you can add the secret stuff to that

Edited by beourbud

since there are no nutes in pro mix... you have to add something..

adding whatever depends on your preference.

Good question, but I don't know the answer. usually the nutes are general purpose. I wonder if there is a nute line specifically for pro mix and cannabis?

what have you been using?

I have used a lot of fox farms and earth juice that's about it

you get spots in promix because its not composted yet, its not dirt yet :P

found some info on the yellow fungus. Only saw it a couple times didnt research it till now).https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=yellow+fungus+on+pro+mix

I havent seen it much or maybe I miss it during transplants not sure.

http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/presence-of-mold-on-growing-media/

does BX fungicide prevent beneficial fungus from growing I wonder?   I saw mine in two bags of BX strangely.

Fungicide is (Bacillus pumilus)

The promix website talks about it "Sphagnum peat moss is no different from any other organic matter, such as bark, compost, coir, mulch, etc. The molds which grow on peat moss and growing media are saprophytic, meaning that they feed on dead plant material and are not pathogenic or harmful to plants or people. These saprophytic molds are found naturally in peat bogs at very low populations, but due to the acidic nature of peat bogs, conditions are not favorable for their development and it results in slow decomposition of the peat moss. However, when peat moss is amended with lime and nutrients, especially nitrogen, this changes the chemistry.

Less Desirable Points About Molds: Unfortunately mold can form unsightly colonies that appear on the surface of packaged growing media and in a few cases may create foul odors. In compressed packaged growing media, other organisms like yeast may also build up in populations due to the absence of oxygen. When nitrogen is part of a basic nutrient charge in growing media, the combination of nutrients, moisture and temperature favor mold formation. This may occur when storage temperatures are high in the summer. Moisture collects between the product and the packaging causing mold to sporulate. In peat alone this normally does not occur, because the peat moss is not amended with limestone and nutrients, which considerably limits mold development."

from the site example-3-freshly-opened-bale-showing-pr

here is what mine looked like home-design.jpg

I was all giggly about the soiless/soil mix info. In some areas the site calls it soil, others soil less. you are correct, we need a Pro Mix growing section? :P

There's actually several types of BX that promix produces.

http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/

They produce all the versions of their mix in both BX and hp...as well as 3 or 4 other lines.

The Hp has 20% more perlite than BX with all other ingredients the same.

I switched to hp when I switched to kiss soil because mal called for additional perlite as an option...so I chose the mix with 20% more perlite.

Fyi- correct on the assumption you should be using promix as a hydroponic medium not as dirt...or so it says on the bag.

Black bail of sunshine mix 4, i have found over the years usually out performs promix, there newrly identical in amendments etc, except i believe the sunshine mix only has about 45-50 percent peat. It has been a cpl years since i used promix, but then again the runs im finishing with "black magic" from home depot has beat out both of them. After a week in 3,5, and ten gal smart pots of black magic, i needed to water nearly everday. Im currently comparing the yellow bags of sunshine mix 4 now, they have more coir just like the black magic:

black magic is the newly created line from miracle grow designed specifically for cannabis..

it is preforming very well you say?

that's awesome... i had researched it after i read an article recently about the direction of miracle grow as a company... the CEO decided with all the cannabusiness happening across the country it was a good idea to invest in their cannabis specific line up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2016/07/06/cannabis-capitalist-scotts-miracle-gro-ceo-bets-big-on-pot-growers/#4e257fc38cfe

black magic is the newly created line from miracle grow designed specifically for cannabis..

that's awesome... i had researched it after i read an article recently about the direction of miracle grow as a company... the CEO decided with all the cannabusiness happening across the country it was a good idea to invest in their cannabis specific line up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2016/07/06/cannabis-capitalist-scotts-miracle-gro-ceo-bets-big-on-pot-growers/#4e257fc38cfe

yah, the black magic out perfomed everything rlse thus far. The yellow bails of sunshine mix 4, i think its called sunshine mix 4 advanced, seems to be about the same make up of black magic, so far this run with it has been nearly identical to black magic, only difference is the price. I paid about 50 dollars a bail for black magic and about 40 dollars a bail for sunshine mix 4 advanced...but i need more testing.

yah, the black magic out perfomed everything rlse thus far. The yellow bails of sunshine mix 4, i think its called sunshine mix 4 advanced, seems to be about the same make up of black magic, so far this run with it has been nearly identical to black magic, only difference is the price. I paid about 50 dollars a bail for black magic and about 40 dollars a bail for sunshine mix 4 advanced...but i need more testing.

That's right

Those commercial bails come with some downsides

They are deficient of many nutrients, retain too much water and when you start growing trees the containers get to light and the tree tips over.

Soil is closer to potting soil/black dirt

We use soil with @ 2 parts sphagnum/wood product to 3 parts Composted manure soil.

Then you can add the secret stuff to that

thats funny, because none of these mixes have any nutrients in them, and that is the point of them, to control the nutrients the plant recieves completely.

The mixes of course start with nutrients.

Read the package.

Ya pretty much have to buy plain peat moss because they all have starter charge of nutes including dolomite.

they dont have any nutrients, sunshine mix 4,black magic and even promix have no nutrients. They have dolomite lime as a ph buffer and myco. I read the packages.