Growing In Coco

So I switched from fox farm ocean forest to canna coco. so far everything is going great. However the only other growers I know are the people's threads I've read here. Just curious if anyone has any little pointers or tips growing in coco.

I'm veggin under 600 watt mh

Flower under 1000 watt has

3 gallon smart pots

Full canna line

Hand water once a day

Feeding daily giving straight water on Sundays

Ph been 5.8 to 6.3

Ppm around 500 in Vegas

1050 in flower

If anything is wrong or something I should do different let me know please.

You might be able to grow in a smaller pot. How many plants do you put under one light? You want them to dry out in a day if you are watering daily.

Also, is the weekly plain water for a reason? Most coco growers don't use plain water ever.

From what I gathered online people say from so much feeding it's good to give them plain water once a week to help with the salt build up. When I read the forums some say they feed and never give water some say water once a week. So I figured I'd try giving water once a week. But I put 4 under my 1000 watt they are dried out every day Edited by williams2311

During Veg I only water about once a week. Even after a 60 day veg I don't feed more than 60 oz of "water" at a time.  Most of the time 40 oz's if they are under 18"s. During flower you can water more depending on how thirsty your girls are, but if they say under 20"s you can still manage once a week, in my opinion. 

As for salt build up, I use House & Garden Drip Clean and haven't encounter any build up. I use 1 ml per gallon of water.  

I also use API Pondcare Pond-Zyme Enzymatic Pond Cleaner Barley as a Cannazyme replacement. For any solid particle build up, think root rot. 

I tried the Canna line, but I no longer use it. I use my own feeding schedule (recipe), loosely based off of others trial and error.  I also do a silica foliar spray (2.5 ml per gallon, and PH'd to 5.7) with every feeding. 

VEG

General Hydroponics Armor Si 5ml per gallon

Pond Cleaner 1 scoop per 5 gallon's

Great White Mycorrhizae 1/2 scoop per 5 gallon's

General Hydroponics Micro at 6ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Bloom at 9ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Cali-magic at 1.5ml per gallon

SM-90 at 5ml per gallon throughout all of veg and flower until the flush at the end

House & Gardens Drip Clean at 1ml per gallon also throughout all of veg and flower

Root Excellerator at 1ml per gallon.

Photosynthesis Plus at 7.5ml per gallon

FLOWER

General Hydroponics Micro at 4ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Bloom at 10ml per gallon

Cali-Magic at 1.5ml per gallon

Sm-90 at 5ml per gallon

Drip Clean at 1 ml per gallon

Photosynthesis Plus at 7.5ml per gallon 2 times a week

Cannazym 5ml per gallon

Floralicious Bloom at 1ml per gallon

General Hydroponics FloraNectar at 2.5ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Liquid KoolBloom at 2ml per gallon

General Hydroponics FloraKleen at 10ml per gallon for the flush

I keep my PH at 5.5 going in, and my ppm's are around 600ish with tap water. I have seen a little nute burn before with this schedule, but that seems to happen if I water too much, and they don't dry out quick enough. 

Best of luck in your grow!

Rhetorically speaking, I'd follow the feed schedule, break up the PK additive. Instead of one week at 6ml, do one week at 3ml, one week at 6ml, one week at 3ml. Don't discontinue CalMag while running PK if you are using CalMag. You can kill the CalMag during the second 3ml PK feed week. Flushing is up to you, one week or two. If you are going to flush for two weeks, the first week use Zym and Boost, the second week water.

Of all the substrates I've used-wood chips, dirt, promix, styrofoam, insulation, hemp, rocks, sand, water, agar, rockwool, sawdust, perlite, vermiculite, rice hulls and even a kitchen sponge....I was unable to develop the love for coco. I know now there were two types when I was wasting time with it and likely I was using the wrong one maybe. I tried and tried, really wanted it to work for me, because I could burn the waste, thats it. It did burn well, perhaps the only redeeming quality I found.

I see Pro Mix now offers a coco blend too. I'm not going to try it, nobody can make me :P

I've also sampled awesome meds growing in it and sampled them too. This is a good thread, thanks for starting it. I'll be watching and learning.

My negative experience was the fault of my growing habits I surmised and never looked back :)

Edited by trichcycler

During Veg I only water about once a week. Even after a 60 day veg I don't feed more than 60 oz of "water" at a time. Most of the time 40 oz's if they are under 18"s. During flower you can water more depending on how thirsty your girls are, but if they say under 20"s you can still manage once a week, in my opinion.

As for salt build up, I use House & Garden Drip Clean and haven't encounter any build up. I use 1 ml per gallon of water.

I also use API Pondcare Pond-Zyme Enzymatic Pond Cleaner Barley as a Cannazyme replacement. For any solid particle build up, think root rot.

I tried the Canna line, but I no longer use it. I use my own feeding schedule (recipe), loosely based off of others trial and error. I also do a silica foliar spray (2.5 ml per gallon, and PH'd to 5.7) with every feeding.

VEG

General Hydroponics Armor Si 5ml per gallon

Pond Cleaner 1 scoop per 5 gallon's

Great White Mycorrhizae 1/2 scoop per 5 gallon's

General Hydroponics Micro at 6ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Bloom at 9ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Cali-magic at 1.5ml per gallon

SM-90 at 5ml per gallon throughout all of veg and flower until the flush at the end

House & Gardens Drip Clean at 1ml per gallon also throughout all of veg and flower

Root Excellerator at 1ml per gallon.

Photosynthesis Plus at 7.5ml per gallon

FLOWER

General Hydroponics Micro at 4ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Bloom at 10ml per gallon

Cali-Magic at 1.5ml per gallon

Sm-90 at 5ml per gallon

Drip Clean at 1 ml per gallon

Photosynthesis Plus at 7.5ml per gallon 2 times a week

Cannazym 5ml per gallon

Floralicious Bloom at 1ml per gallon

General Hydroponics FloraNectar at 2.5ml per gallon

General Hydroponics Liquid KoolBloom at 2ml per gallon

General Hydroponics FloraKleen at 10ml per gallon for the flush

I keep my PH at 5.5 going in, and my ppm's are around 600ish with tap water. I have seen a little nute burn before with this schedule, but that seems to happen if I water too much, and they don't dry out quick enough.

Best of luck in your grow!

Only once a week? I have seen people do a every other day Feeding but a week seems long. Mine would be bone dry. I might try getting the GH line next time it has the cheapest cost per gallon.

Rhetorically speaking, I'd follow the feed schedule, break up the PK additive. Instead of one week at 6ml, do one week at 3ml, one week at 6ml, one week at 3ml. Don't discontinue CalMag while running PK if you are using CalMag. You can kill the CalMag during the second 3ml PK feed week. Flushing is up to you, one week or two. If you are going to flush for two weeks, the first week use Zym and Boost, the second week water.

What is zym? Don't think I've heard of it. Also I have been following the chart exactly except first few weeks only did half strength and gradually up to full strength with no burn on the plants. But I just started using the pk I'll try giving it 3 ml next week. Thanks for the tip

Only once a week? I have seen people do a every other day Feeding but a week seems long. Mine would be bone dry. I might try getting the GH line next time it has the cheapest cost per gallon.

Yes only once a week. I keep my temp around 75F and my RH at 45-50. I keep my dehumidifier at 50%. 

It goes goes long with so little water, because I use 5 gal smart posts.  The growth is not affected at all, at least to me. Maybe in comparison to others. I mainline with 8 colas and grow to around 15-18 inches in about 60 days. 

Small pots will drink more. Also, depends on the amount of perlit you use. I myself use none, but went with rice hulls, as I had 10lbs for a future no till that is cooking at the moment. The less aeration, the more water retention. 

What is zym? Don't think I've heard of it. Also I have been following the chart exactly except first few weeks only did half strength and gradually up to full strength with no burn on the plants. But I just started using the pk I'll try giving it 3 ml next week. Thanks for the tip

They are referring to Cannazym  http://www.cannagardening.com/cannazym

Yes only once a week. I keep my temp around 75F and my RH at 45-50. I keep my dehumidifier at 50%.

It goes goes long with so little water, because I use 5 gal smart posts. The growth is not affected at all, at least to me. Maybe in comparison to others. I mainline with 8 colas and grow to around 15-18 inches in about 60 days.

Small pots will drink more. Also, depends on the amount of perlit you use. I myself use none, but went with rice hulls, as I had 10lbs for a future no till that is cooking at the moment. The less aeration, the more water retention.

They are referring to Cannazym http://www.cannagardening.com/cannazym

I use the 3 gallon smart pots. But I use straight coco I had mixed it the first time but with Fox farm due to me having extra dirt i wasn't gunna use. I could probably go 3 days without water in Veg definitely not in flower though they are drinking like crazy 1 gallon every day and it's dry the next day.

Well as I stated before this is my first time flowering in coco I got 4 plants in #3 smart pots. In soil after about 2 weeks they stop stretching however every night I go in there they all have grown up to the light again. It's not burning them but if I were to leave it like that all night it would. I have been bending branches but more keep growing up. Is the stretch in coco different then soil?

How big is the canopy for 4 plants under the 1k? 3gal fabric pots seems small to me. Ive gotten the best results out of 7gals when i was in coco.

They are about 6 foot tall now and the canopy fills the 1000 watt footprint plus some. They were giving to me in 3 gal pots but I plan on using the #3s I don't plan on doing a very long veg with everything else