Shrooms

Willy

Ok I"m not good at mushroom identification.. but i found this little devil out by the old distressed oak tree.. anyone know what this baby is. I have an idea but didn't plan on eatin it till I know for sure.. I know ther is a couple shroom pickers on this site. Any help would be great an how i can prepare or save it till i want to eat it.. Best way to eat it if its edible? 

IMG_0005_1.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Edited by Willy

Ok I"m not good at mushroom identification.. but i found this little devil out by the old distressed oak tree.. anyone know what this baby is. I have an idea but didn't plan on eatin it till I know for sure.. I know ther is a couple shroom pickers on this site. Any help would be great an how i can prepare or save it till i want to eat it.. Best way to eat it if its edible? 

IMG_0005_1.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

I thought most chef's just use this for flavoring or soup, sell it lol,  I  beleive they get good money for them!

Peace

lol, that was me and a bunch of friends just a few years ago. We found a gold mine in this little pasture down the road from us in texas. Fun couple months.

Wholly crap my pic is huge!

Yeah, I was in FL back then and about 1/2 mile down the road we had a gold mine also.

I still remember those steaming piles of poo lol.

The 'trip' to Disney was greatly enhanced by these golden beauties.

If anyone is truly interested in hunting mushrooms and being darn sure of what your are about to eat, this book is one of my favourites:

Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora

I have sold mushrooms in the past to local restaurants, and there is money to be made, but then the good ole gubment had to get involved, so now I keep em for myself.

Fall is the best time to find a plethora of edible mushrooms in Michigan.

Edit: Along with the Audubon field guide these make an excellent combination.

Edited by swamper

http://www.midwestmycology.org/Mushrooms/Mushroom%20study%20guides.html

These are the mushrooms allowed for sale in Mi if you are certified and are the easiest to ID.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Hen(Miatake) that hasn't spored out yet and is a bit past prime.  One of the most medicinal mushrooms out there though.  Great anti-inflammatory properties, antidiabetic/hypoglycemic, immunostimulant, fights cancer, antibiotic,etc.  It'll come up there year after year even after the oak dies, for a few years.  Should be better harvested before oct. depending on the temp/humidity/moisture.  They all spore out when it frosts no matter how big they are.  Found one over 15lbs this year.

The Shaggy Mane is starting to ink up on the bottom and past prime/inedible.  You have to pick them and go right to the pot or they'll ink out in the fridge within a couple hours.

The middle pic is probably the alcohol inky.  Do not eat with alcohol.  NOt sure on that one though.

The last pic is probably agaricus campestris, the meadow mushroom. Lots of poisonous "look alikes" better be 100% sure on white mushrooms growing from the lawn.  I passed them up this year.  I pass up most gilled mushrooms since they are the only ones that can kill you, other than false morels if not cooked well.  That's why the gov't got involved, a guy dying from eating false morels in 2014, I think.

Edited by Norby

IMG_0005_1.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

What did you end up doing with these Willy?

I had a big puffball in my yard about two weeks ago.  Unfortunately, the guy who mows my lawn ran it over.  I've never tried one but was anxious. 

Keep an eye out in that area for more next year.

I like to slice them thick and saute in garlic butter.

well i fried a little up in butter, but i took the rest and am trying to dehydrate it for storage, some i put in freezer bags and froze it.. later i'll try a soup with it , and some for stock.. its pretty good eating.. :)

Shtz is hard to clean , it seems to grow around stuff,, bark and pine needles in the middle.. but seems to be enough to make it worth while.. that one weighs in around 5lbs.. not bad for one mushroom, and i did find another smaller one near by .. and ya they was there last year but i saw them too late..