Schuette Battles The Next Crusade With Your Tax Dollars, Selfies

t-pain

there it is....

would you vote for the other  candidate for.......20 million dollars,????

thats the kind of price tag our candidates charge for their favors, they take the cash all day too. no wonder we just never really get our way, its never really very fair, its always a racist agenda, always greed always with these politico guys and gals.

I would for 20 mil, shoot 1 mil I would be set for life lol!

taking pictures of a ballot does not mean everyone gets to see it. what kind of weird fantasy land do you live in? angry crowds at the polls threatening people? is this your secret fantasy or something?

no offense, but i live in reality, not fantasy land.

voter intimidation is already illegal, wild bill.

banning pictures of a ballot is like banning pictures of marijuana.

marijuana is already illegal.

taking pictures of marijuana is free speech.

a picture of marijuana could be evidence of marijuana possession.

much like a picture of a ballot could be evidence of buying a vote.

both would have to be actually investigated, instead of just claimed the picture is illegal lol

wild bill didnt write it!  he paisted an article,  are you living in a fantasy land lol!

bill is one of our best people here, you dont see him arguing amongst us!

Peace

wild bill didnt write it!  he paisted an article,  are you living in a fantasy land lol!

bill is one of our best people here, you dont see him arguing amongst us!

you must be on the good stuff, phaq :D that was his personal opinion as far as i can tell.

Edited by bax

Taking of selfies will slow down the voting process. The lines will be longer when voters are taking pic's of their ballots.

Unless the ruling is reversed, we will see this on election day.

Is their any law against taking pic's of your absent voter ballot and posting on social media? I'm thinking not.

I'm thinking there will not be many folks feeling the need to take bs.

Taking of selfies will slow down the voting process. The lines will be longer when voters are taking pic's of their ballots.

Unless the ruling is reversed, we will see this on election day.

Is their any law against taking pic's of your absent voter ballot and posting on social media? I'm thinking not.

the ruling was reversed by federal appeal court. its illegal again to take selfie.

voting will take longer with selfies?

have you ever taken a selfie?

taking a selfie of your ballot should invalidate your entire vote??

selfies should be a crime?

is this your opinion or republicans?

Edited by bax

taking pictures of a ballot does not mean everyone gets to see it. what kind of weird fantasy land do you live in? angry crowds at the polls threatening people? is this your secret fantasy or something?

no offense, but i live in reality, not fantasy land.

voter intimidation is already illegal, wild bill.

I'm not trying to justify it, just explaining the rationale. Voter intimidation and vote selling was a problem in the past, Tammany Hall in the 1800's and voter intimidation in the 1960's.

I don't believe either one of these is actually a concern for Shuette, he just wants his name in the paper.

you must be on the good stuff, phaq :D that was his personal opinion as far as i can tell.

I bet im on better stuff than you! lmao,  the post wild bill wrote is below,

did you skip reading the 1st 2 lines, he paisted an article

Click the links, maybe yours is better bawahahahahahaha!

‘Ballot selfies’ prompt unexpected constitutional debate

10/27/16 10:40 AM

Yesterday, entertainer Justin Timberlake did something that seemed rather routine: he took advantage of early voting and cast a ballot in his native Tennessee. In fact, the celebrity took the additional step of encouraging others to follow his example: Timberlake took a “ballot selfie,” posted it to Instagram, and urged the public to “choose to have a voice.”

This, ordinarily, wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy, except for the fact that the picture was technically illegal. Though the local district attorney’s office said it wouldn’t bother wasting resources on the case, it’s actually a crime for voters in Tennessee to take a photo like Timberlake’s.

Indeed, the entertainer took down the photo after it caused a minor legal stir.

And while I generally avoid celebrity news, the hubbub got me thinking about the underlying constitutional question and the reason half of the nation’s states passed laws prohibiting ballot selfies. Why in the world would anyone care whether or not someone takes a picture of themselves and the ballot?

As it turns out, there is a reason. Mother Jones’ Kevin Drum explained the rationale:

Just for the record, then, there is a reason for selfie bans in voting booths: it prevents vote buying. After all, the only way it makes sense to pay people for their votes is if you have proof that they voted the way you told them to. Back in the day that was no problem, but ever since secret ballots became the norm vote buying has died out.

Selfies change all that. If I give you ten bucks to vote for my favorite candidate for mayor, I can withhold payment until you show me a selfie proving that you voted for my guy.

That’s not a bad argument. I haven’t seen any evidence that vote buying is a real concern, but these laws at least have a meaningful, well-intentioned rationale.

But facing legal scrutiny, they’re dropping like flies anyway.

Slate’s Mark Joseph Stern highlighted the recent legal history challenging the statutes against ballot selfies, and so far, courts have said free-speech considerations override vote-buying concerns.

Every court to consider the constitutionality of ballot selfie bans – four so far – has concluded that they constitute a suppression of free speech in violation of the First Amendment. As the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit ruled in late September, these “restrictions on speech” are “antithetical to democratic values,” censoring political expression under the tenuous rationale of preventing voter coercion – “an unsubstantiated and hypothetical danger.”

And on the same day that Timberlake snapped his now-infamous photo, a federal judge in Michigan suspended the state’s ballot selfie ban, concluding that the law substantially burdened political speech without any adequate justification.

The Slate piece added that about two dozen other states still have selfie-ballot bans on the books, and the ACLU is going after them.

Peace

Edited by phaquetoo

the ruling was reversed by federal appeal court. its illegal again to take selfie.

voting will take longer with selfies?

have you ever taken a selfie?

taking a selfie of your ballot should invalidate your entire vote??

selfies should be a crime?

is this your opinion or republicans?

No, I had not seen where selfie was illegal again. Will look into it.

Yes it does take time to get phone out and take a selfie.

Then how about the voters who will want to send the selfie to others, while in voting booth? But then, you say it is illegal again so we are good.