Anqunette -Fox2 News Anchor Joins Milegalize

trichcycler

Fox 2 anchor with MS to retire, fight to legalize pot

B99459384Z.1_20161101122831_000_G9T175H3

(Photo: Fox 2)

Former Fox 2 Detroit anchor Anqunette Jamison Sarfoh is throwing her support behind a movement to legalize all forms of marijuana for adults over 21 in Michigan.

Sarfoh was previously on a leave of absence from Fox due to medical issues related to her multiple sclerosis condition and announced her decision to retire on Tuesday. Sarfoh will be introduced as a leading member of the grassroots organization MILegalize at a fundraiser Wednesday at Weber’s Inn in Ann Arbor.

“I loved my job, but multiple sclerosis was making it harder and harder to do it,” she said in a video post on social media Tuesday morning.

Sarfoh spent 22 years in broadcasting. She worked at stations in Las Vegas, Boston and Indiana before joining Fox 2 Detroit, where she anchored the morning news.

In a written statement, she explained why she’s planning to spend her time advocating for the legal use of marijuana.

“As someone who has experienced the positive effects of using cannabis I feel it is hypocritical to remain quiet and benefit while others suffer in prison for nonviolent drug offenses,” Sarfoh said. “I want people to know they have a nonpharmaceutical option. I believe responsible adults have the right to enjoy this plant in the same manner as alcohol: with no shame and no fear of prosecution.”

MILegalize collected over 350,000 signatures on petitions to get the legalization of adult use of marijuana on the 2016 general election ballot, according to a press release. The group says several court challenges prevented the proposal from appearing on the ballot.

In a statement, MILegalize executive director Jeffrey Hank said he’s “very happy” to welcome Sarfoh to the team.

“Her skills and passion are a real asset, and we look forward to others joining the cause as we work together to craft a plan to legalize the right way for Michigan,” he said.

The state’s 2008 voter-approved medical marijuana laws have created confusion the past few years due to conflicting legal interpretations. New legislation was recently proposed to overhaul the laws and create a regulatory system and tax dispensaries.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/television/2016/11/01/fox-anchor-announces-retirement-marijuana-legalization-support/93115208/

November 1st Announcement
MI LEGALIZE 2018 WELCOMES ANQUNETTE "Q" SARFOH TO LEADERSHIP ROLE IN MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION CAMPAIGN

Anqunette_photo.jpg?1477977666

Retired Fox 2 Detroit Morning Anchor, Takes Activist Interest In Advancing Marijuana Law Reform

NOVEMBER 1, 2016/Detroit: In an announcement made this morning, Anqunette Jamison Sarfoh has declared she is joining the leadership of Michigan's movement to legalize the adult use of marijuana, known as MI Legalize 2018. 

Ms. Sarfoh will be introduced as a member of the organization during a fundraiser being held in Wednesday evening at Weber's Inn Ann Arbor. Those unable to attend can still donate to the new campaign below.
Anqunette, or “Q” as many know her, is a noted media personality and an accomplished activist supporting multiple sclerosis research and charities. Her television career has included broadcast positions in multiple states, including the morning anchor at Fox 2 Detroit. Anqunette is currently on a leave of absence from that position due to medical issues related to her multiple sclerosis condition.    
As a volunteer, Anqunette is a District Activist Leader with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and is also the newest member of the Michigan Chapter’s Government Relations Advisory Committee. Anqunette has participated in MS Action Day in Lansing, the African-Americans with MS conference in Detroit, Walk MS and Muckfest.
MILegalize collected more than 350,000 signatures on petitions to place the issue of legalized adult use of marijuana on the 2016 general election ballot. Although the petitions were proper and the filing was timely a series of court challenges prevented the group's proposal from appearing on the November 8 ballot. 
The group recently announced they have filed a new ballot committee and are preparing an updated version of their 2016 proposal. The citizen initiative process requires approx. 250,000 valid signatures from Michigan voters, and a 2016 law now requires that those signatures be collected within 180 days. MILegalize is welcoming many new interested persons to join the campaign as it builds steam for a spring petition launch. "The MILegalize team is very happy to welcome someone as talented as Anqunette. Her skills and passion are a real asset and we look forward to others joining the cause as we work together to craft a plan to legalize the right way for Michigan," said Executive Director Jeffrey Hank.
"I feel the War on Drugs has been a failure. Not only has it stifled research into non-pharmaceutical medicine, and it has led to an incarceration epidemic which has disproportionately affected communities of color. As someone who has experienced the positive effects of using cannabis I feel it is hypocritical to remain quiet and benefit while others suffer in prison for non-violent drug offenses," said Sarfoh. "I want people to know they have a non-pharmaceutical option. I believe responsible adults have the right to enjoy this plant in the same manner as alcohol: with no shame and no fear of prosecution."
Anqunette's broadcast career has included stints as a television reporter in Indiana, Nevada, Massachusetts and Michigan.

Peace Q, welcome aboard !

me too, but it doesnt surprise me. Some cannabis users used to be alcoholics and found cannabis a huge help/replacement for their medicine. alcohol was a big part of medicine, still is for many. its used as a pain killer by millions. Now, cannabis is being used to replace this pain management effectively, so when  an alcohol abuser tells of the comparison to cannabis it makes some sense to me.

somewhere in the comparisons though, I sense a  line drawn to connect recreational alcohol to recreational cannabis use. I figure whatever it takes to stop my brothers and sisters from being incarcerated, call it recreational, medicine, or weeds, no matter to me. 

We compare cannabis to pharmaceuticals daily, even though we all know a joint is not anything like an oxycontin pill, xanax or antidepressant, yet many replace their pills too with cannabis, and always tell us of the comparisons between the two. When we hear of the demise caused by alcohol and pill use we see at least the first  shining differences between pills/booze and cannabis= better health, mind and spirit, nobody dies

:hair:

Just Announced!

Joining the Capital Conference will be Anqunette "Q" Jamison, formerly of Fox News. On November 1 2016 she simultaneously announced her retirement from journalism and her new role in leadership at MILegalize 2018, the state organization whose petition drive intends to put the adult use of cannabis on the 2018 ballot in Michigan.  

unnamed.jpg

Anqunette joins Rep. Jeff Irwin, powerhouse attorneys Mary Chartier and Mike Nichols, lobbyist Justin Dunaskiss and CPA Paul Samways as speakers for the Capital Conference. Welcome, Q, and we are happy to have you!

~MICBD Group

Join the Michigan Cannabis Business Development Group at the elegant and opulent Radisson Hotel in downtown Lansing for a very special Conference.

Capital Conference: An Update on Local and State Medical Marijuana Law Changes

Earlybird Pricing ends Sunday, November 13! Get your tickets before the price goes up! Register HERE!

Building upon the success of the medical marijuana business conference, "Understanding the New Medical Marijuana Business Laws in Michigan," which brought a solid 300 people to the Holiday Inn in Flint ten days ago, the MICBD Group is hosting another conference of a similar nature- but with a Lansing angle. 

As we did in our first 2016 conference, the conversation is devoted to updating the business community and potential applicants to the requirements and details of the new state program. This time we're focusing on the emerging changes in laws happening in East Lansing and in the state capital, Lansing. 

The speaker's list includes Rep. Jeff Irwin, Lansing lobbyist Justin Dunaskiss, area attorneys Mike Nichols and Mary Chartier, and CPA Paul Samways. 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/capital-conference-update-on-local-and-state-medical-marijuana-law-changes-tickets-28879079103

In 2015, the MICBD Conference had approx. 75 attendees; in October, we pulled 300+ in to our conference, and we expect a similar turnout for this event. Our conference in Flint was covered by NBC News and was reported on by Michigan Public Radio and other media outlets. 

Consequently, we've rented the nicest space we could think of- all four ballrooms at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Lansing. Opulent and elegant, this venue is sure to draw a nice crowd of business-professional individuals. Refreshments will be served; special networking sessions will be scheduled to enhance the attendee experience.  

The date is December 4, a Sunday. We'll be starting at 1:00 and running seminars until 5pm, but refreshments and food will be available at noon. 

LINK TO NBC NEWS COVERAGE OF THE MICBD BUSINESS CONFERENCE, OCTOBER 16, 2016:

http://nbc25news.com/news/local/conference-provides-legal-development-information-about-medical-marijuana