New Grow Room

blackhorse

I'm thinking a insulated floor in the pole barn is a good idea. Use a holding tank for water in garage and put a insulated base down before adding the tank. Water has never frozen.

Looking at another section of pole barn for building the room. Have a section with dirt floor that I can build a floor over. Hate to waste a section of concrete floor by building a floor on top.

Now looking at a 12' x 17' room, larger than before and will be plenty of room. Only drawback will be 12" step into the room or two steps.

This would leave me with 9' ceilings.

Any suggestions for wall material in rooms? Was considering drywall painted white, but open to new ideas.

Metal pole barn siding sealed with silicone caulk. 

I recently visited a friend who built a new grow room with interior steel siding a few months (about two harvests) ago. He liked that he didn't have to worry about mold that could occur with drywall. Another benefit is he has been able to power wash the entire room between harvests. His results were stellar. As far as the ridges on the sheet metal, that's probably a good thing - scattering reflected light to prevent hot spots. This isn't my personal experience, but from what I saw, this was a good decision.

A neighbor has a pole barn converted into a garage that has metal siding on the interior walls and ceiling. It looks nice. Metal siding isn't cheap though, about 2.5 x the cost of drywall.

Even thought of the insulation material that is silver and about 1/4" thick. Still looking for prices on this material, couldn't find at Lowe's.

We have just a pond liner on an otherwise bare concrete floor, plants right on the floor in 5 gallon buckets, in an insulated 600 sq. foot. building.  We like the cool concrete floors, and so do the plants, but we also have lots of light -- we space our lights much closer than the OP was talking about.

I built this place using painted wood walls, since I wanted to be able to attach or hang things wherever I wanted.  Next time, though, it will be something mold-proof and water-tight.  I like that metal roofing idea.

We have just a pond liner on an otherwise bare concrete floor, plants right on the floor in 5 gallon buckets, in an insulated 600 sq. foot. building.  We like the cool concrete floors, and so do the plants, but we also have lots of light -- we space our lights much closer than the OP was talking about.

I built this place using painted wood walls, since I wanted to be able to attach or hang things wherever I wanted.  Next time, though, it will be something mold-proof and water-tight.  I like that metal roofing idea.

smart person.

I prefer wood walls painted flat white instead of drywall.  I hate sheetrock and sheetrock dust.  A benefit of using 4x8 OSB or plywood would be you can anchor wall hanging things (fans or whatever) anywhere rather than studs only.  

What kind of heat source? Noticed at Tractor Supply a 20,000 and a 30,000 btu LP Gas furnace that can be wall mounted, any opinion?

Sounds like you have a good thing going, but I always cringe when I hear/see "we" related to a MMJ grow.  The courts have been pretty firm against anything "we" as far as growing.  "We" implies more than one person accessing the grow - bad, bad idea under the current regulatory environment. 

Sounds like you have a good thing going, but I always cringe when I hear/see "we" related to a MMJ grow.  The courts have been pretty firm against anything "we" as far as growing.  "We" implies more than one person accessing the grow - bad, bad idea under the current regulatory environment. 

Good point!  In this case the local prosecutor, sheriff, and multi-county drug task force all know who we are, and have visited the grow location.

• 3 months later...

Finally got to building the room, decided on the room in area that has concrete floor.

Room will be for flowering and is 6' x 10' inside dimensions. Got room all framed in and working on electric. Ceiling is 8''.

At this time the plan is to use the mold resistant green board. (drywall)

Will be framing in for an air conditioner. Believe a 6000 btu will well cover this area.

Later on, will build the veg room attached. Probably a 10' x 10' area.

Edited by blackhorse

6000 BTUs isnt going to cut it in the 95 degree heat in July do yourself a favor and get at least a 9000 or 1100 unit to be sure its much safer having those extra cooling BTUs  if you need them im running 2x1000 watt hoods in a 7x10 space with 7 foot ceilings and on real hot days i hit the mid 80s.

6000 BTUs isnt going to cut it in the 95 degree heat in July do yourself a favor and get at least a 9000 or 1100 unit to be sure its much safer having those extra cooling BTUs  if you need them im running 2x1000 watt hoods in a 7x10 space with 7 foot ceilings and on real hot days i hit the mid 80s.

Thanks for info.

Do you vent outside of the room? I use two 600 watt hoods and was planning to vent outside the room.

I wasn't planning to run system in July or August, but need to set up just in case.

Thought I would use as mother room for the summer, or veg. room.

Plan is outdoor garden for the summer.

I will look into the larger A/C's.

• 1 month later...

Using the room now, still got to tape and mud the green board though. Bought a 6000 btu A/C for $20 and works good so far. Only using the room for mothers at this time, may change over in

the fall. Disassembled the ac unit and bleached out everything. This will make a nice flower room later on. Nice to have everything out of house.

• 2 months later...

Room has been used for vegging all summer and temp has stayed at 75 degrees. Use a 6000 btu a/c and no problems so far.

Added a dehumidifier and it runs 15 minutes an hour, keeps humidity close to 45 - 50 degrees.

Plants are up off the cement about 3 inches. 

No plan to flower any time soon. 

Used green board on wall and still need to tape and mud, got in hurry to use.

• 8 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:05 AM, Restorium2 said:

10 x 14 as a 12' wide flower room is too wide

If you make it 12' then you can add some plants on the side if you want with some side lighting.... for times when a few more plants is in order. You can't make the room bigger later.

I should have listened! I built the room 6' x 10' thinking the room would be large enough.

Room is tight. An 8' x 12' room would be ideal.

Room works, but not happy with size.