Is This Tobacco Mosaic Virus?

medmanmike

I have a Northern Lights plant that is looking very different from her two siblings. All from the same breeder, all from seed, all fed the same. My research says this is TMV. Ive included some pics with the hope that it will help others (and maybe identify exactly what I've got.

The Second and fourth pics show how the leaves curl sideways. Note on the one how the one side of the leaflet is malformed. It appears to me that this malformation causes the curvature in the leaflet. Note the color diff In the one. Also, the yellow vein is a marker for TMV.

Pics one and three show the "crinklelyness. (Is that a word?��) that many of the leaves have, along with a mottled (light and/or dark) splotches/patterns on the leaves.

The next to the last pic doesn't show it real well, but a lot of the new growth is small, wrinkled and twisted.

Finally, the last pic is An overview of the whole plant. Lots of growth, same size as her siblings, drinking slightly less water (the leaves overall are smaller on this plant than her sisters.

So, is it TMV? Anyone else experience this? My understanding is that TMV can only multiply inside a cell, so casually transmission is minimal. However, handling - touching with hands, sharing tools, i.e. Scissor, etc. can transmit the virus to another plant.

The question is, do I keep it and handle it separately, or cull it? I don't have another place to put it.

post-35077-0-07531600-1479407106_thumb.jpeg

post-35077-0-36820100-1479407125_thumb.jpeg

post-35077-0-56607100-1479407144_thumb.jpeg

post-35077-0-23337500-1479407166_thumb.jpeg

post-35077-0-47225500-1479407203_thumb.jpeg

post-35077-0-16823700-1479407417_thumb.jpeg

Edited by medmanmike

internet says overwatering, too much light/heat, cold temps, revegging (light probs), or ph causes leaves to curve like that.

whats your watering schedule? and light schedule? 18/6 or 24 ?

* Week 5 of veg. No Revegging. Displayed weirdness right after seed broke the soil.

* Lights are 18-6. Running LEDs 18-20" above canopy. The other 11 plants are fine.

* I don't check PH. I use Doc Bud's High Brix method and nutes. Checking PH is not required. Water is the same for all plants - city tap water aerated for 24 hours with a bubbler.

* They get watered/fed when the 1 gal pot is lite and they're just showing signs of drooping. No set schedule, generally about every 5 days at this age.

* Day temps 75-81, night 68-72. Humid 50-60% Another grower when I first brought up on a different forum thought temps might be too cold, but they don't vary. Pots are raised two feet off the floor.

again, running five diff strains. Three Northern Lights. Only this one NL is showing the symptoms.

I saw a similar explanation on the web. I flushed the hell out of the plant a few days again thinking there might be some weird nute thing going on. No difference.

Thanks for your feedback.

nute lockout. due to ph. test your soil and your water. before all of your plants have same problem.

tap water, aerated forever, will not change the ph. tap water ph fluctuates, especially spring/fall.

oh, high brix is just promix + stuff. ok. promix... easy to fix. calmag / epsom salts is what you need to fix this in a jiffy.

Edited by bax

It may just be genetic variation.  Lemoncake shows leaf curl but it's inherent to the strain. There are others that have this trait too.

I've grown other plants in the past that also displayed that characteristic.  Probably a different phenotype than the other two.

I might suggest a little more nitrogen.

tap water, aerated forever, will not change the ph.

oops, i was wrong about this. aeration will change the water because of co2 levels. looks like it can go up or down, depending on how weird your tap water is.

while its true you dont have to ph with organics, its always nice to check how bad your water is. and how acidic your peat mix is. darn promix.

Edited by bax

• 3 years later...