Patient Donation For Meds.

musicjock

I am a new caregiver. I have posted a classified looking for patients. I have talked to inquiring people wanting to know how much" free" do they receive a month. This is a standard question. I explain to them I have a lot of $ invested in equipment,utilities etc. I can't afford to give away meds. How do other caregivers address this issue?

Nothing in life is free if someone is on a fixed income id lower my price as much as possible but I cant pay a $400 light bill by giving up free medicine.

My advice to you is pass on those just looking to  get free medicine on your dollar I also get asked that question over and over again and I tell people if they can find a grow store that gives away the supplies and breeders that give away seeds and clones it takes to grow cannabis then I will be able to give them free medicine until then  they have to reimburse me for my time and grow costs.

I am a new caregiver. I have posted a classified looking for patients. I have talked to inquiring people wanting to know how much" free" do they receive a month. This is a standard question. I explain to them I have a lot of $ invested in equipment,utilities etc. I can't afford to give away meds. How do other caregivers address this issue?

tell them no.. shortly there wont be as many CG as there are now, some are going to see the need to become licenced growers.. plus dispensary prices will go thru the roof.. then let them ask the disps for free meds see how that works for them..dont do it..

It was once an incentive to get patients.. now not so much. now think about this, if you give an oz away each month to your patients then they only take one a month.. you are giving it all free.. get a few patients like that .. guess what it now costs you to grow for them. your only return is that you get your own meds. then again your paying for yours and theirs. so tell me whats the incentive for that.. kindness is fine but giving away $4-600.  for your electric.. not much of a return for your work or your costs to grow.. the patients are free and your not..

Edited by Willy

I have seen advertisements at certification offices about free oz. for signing up with caregivers.  This was AA area.

And I just had a patient asking me what was their recourse for a patient caregiver connection that fell through on this promise

I instructed them to go and talk to the clinic supervisor who contacted the caregiver and then the caregiver agreed to follow through but only if the patient paid a "delivery fee'  see what happens is people make promises before understanding what it takes to actually grow harvest trim  etc once they get the scope of all   that is involved they  change their minds and get money conscious .

I've recently had two friends go with a caregiver giving a free oz a month.....just so she can grow their plants. I can't even begin to give away a free oz, so I'm just wondering wtf?! Another friend's cousin was getting free oz, then her guy got busted for having too much weed! Her son is a cop, so I assume he was responsible for the bust.......again people, wtf?

I normally tell people stories that all of my patients have come to me with.  Generally, they sign up for a Free "O" a month, and in several cases, that equates to never getting any of the bud they were promised, or only for 1-2 months, then the grower suddenly has issues and can't provide anything.  This goes on for about 3-4 months, while the patient isn't getting anything, and the grower is really selling illegally on the side.  When they finally drop them as a grower, the grower doesn't care because they have 3-4 people lined up asking for a free O a month.

Long story short, as stated above, it isn't free for me.  If it were that easy, then the PT should grow for themselves.  I look at the time I invest each month, and think this is time away from my friends, family and loved ones.  Why does the patient get to spend all of their time hanging out with friends, and I spend all of my free time growing their meds.  If you don't sell to dispensaries, there isn't an option to recoup the time and money spent.

Now, having said that, I use a sliding scale of sorts, not everyone pays the same.  and I do have 1 PT that is Pro Bono.  That one person has been around and helped my family members get through really tough times over the years, is a great person, and is on tough times himself.  And he has never asked for anything in return when he was helping.  For that, I help him out when I have extra, but he also knows that if I am running short, he's the last to get anything.  It's what we both agreed to, so that works and he knows the risk of running out, which has only happened twice I think in about 4 years.

Long post, but really, it isn't free to grow.  If you can get me free electricity, install a wind turbine or something, feed my chickens, fish, clean my house, and we can talk free.  Sit at home and smoke, no, sorry not free.

And Willy has a point, about this time next year, Caregivers will be in short supply.  At least good ones.

A wise man who used to post here made a good point. If a patient wants free meds with the expectation that the CG can sell overages, maybe that patient should pony-up and buy his meds from the CG and then sell meds to others and give the profit back to the CG. Let the patient expecting free meds force his left foot into his right shoe. Suddenly, thinking this way, it's not a good arrangement.

That said, I have two indigent patients who get meds for free....because they need the meds and can't afford it. My other two patients pay a reasonable cost for their meds and understand that their payments help support folks who can't afford it. It works in our own small community. But there is no way I'd sign-up a new patient who simply wants free meds in exchange for the "privilege" of growing 12 more plants.

Yes, I agree that it costs a lot of money to grow. Meds are only free if I have a good harvest, then only a small amount.

Once had a potential patient who wanted 4 oz. a month, I laughed. I'd like to find a caregiver to give me that much a month too.

I have had a c.g for 5yrs. I get a plant every other month free!

I haven't paid for mm in 5yrs!

Sorry! NOT! Lol.

It's our deal. I'm good. He is good!

Peace

The last patient I signed up was a referral from an attorney to help this young man get his card.

I knew the risks going in and sure enough during the 21 day waiting period he calls and asked,

"So some people are telling me I get a free ounce a month, so how do we do this/what's this all about?" Really! I've never heard from him again. I have no idea if he ever sent in a change

form, but my guess is he hasn't... but then again...his plants aren't in my garden!

Edited by PFC Stone

And Willy has a point, about this time next year, Caregivers will be in short supply. At least good ones.

Ok, I "think" I know where you guys are going with this, but don't want to assUme so please elaborate on why you think CGs will be in short supply.

Thanks.

Edited by medmanmike

And Willy has a point, about this time next year, Caregivers will be in short supply. At least good ones.

Ok, I "think" I know where you guys are going with this, but don't want to assUme so please elaborate on why you think CGs will be in short supply.

Thanks.

Was wondering about that myself why will there be a reduction in caregivers next year?

Was wondering about that myself why will there be a reduction in caregivers next year?

Yes I would assume the logic is that the "good ones" are going to be applying for licenses and therefore have to stop being caregivers. Another aspect could be that the cg's that are currently supplying dispensaries will find that without being able to sell to dispensaries have lost interest in being a caregiver. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I agree with the forecast that caregivers may be dropping out in the future or at least dropping the free ounce.    The last numbers I saw suggested that there are over 250 dispensaries operating statewide currently.    While some maybe getting their supplies from other states (there is one down the street from me that was actually advertising in the MetroTimes that they had Cali meds) I would guess that the majority are sourcing overages from CG's.   As that market goes away, the CG's that are supplying the dispensaries will lose the financial resources to offer the free ounce to a patient.  

Depending on how the dispensary pricing shakes out, there may be an increased demand for caregivers.  

I'm thinking the dispensaries will have an official source and many 'unofficial' sources. Run the official source that is expensive for the books and the cheaper, lower overhead source for making money. This lower overhead source will still come from overages. Nothing much changed, not a stroke missed. The rules change but the players and their real roles stay the same. 

I'm thinking the dispensaries will have an official source and many 'unofficial' sources. Run the official source that is expensive for the books and the cheaper, lower overhead source for making money. This lower overhead source will still come from overages. Nothing much changed, not a stroke missed. The rules change but the players and their real roles stay the same. 

How can that be?

You said the sky is falling, nothing changed?  Im so glad you are starting to heal!

I am thrilled with how my c.g has been for over 5 yrs now, I truly hope he does well in the comm grow he is trying to start, untill than I just hope he remains low key!  but im not his boss and I wont get my plant possesion back untill he wants me to!

I wish every one had as good of a c.g as me, Im thinking highlander and grassmatch are realy awsome c.g's! (I have personal experience with one of them) The other just dont like to talk to strangers lol!  I have never met a stranger, so that kinda suprises me!

Great Job guys!

Peace