Auto Insurance In Michigan?

I've only been here 5yrs. I don't understand this "no fault" bunny muffin. What is it? What do I get for paying so much? I came from Indiana, their I payed between $80-$100/month for 2 older vehicles(plpd). When I first moved here I was paying $200/month, I've got that down to $185 but that is outrageous to me. My father lives in Indianapolis has 3 vehicles 1 older, 1 3yrs, and 1 new Lexus all with full coverage and pays $210/month. WTF? BTW I have no accidents, no tickets since 2003.

One more thing is this perminant trailer plates thing, and my boat registration. In Indiana I had to pay those every year, it wasn't much $20 for each, but our roads were "better" overall. Seems like Michigan is missing out on a lot of revenue?

I've only been here 5yrs. I don't understand this "no fault" bunny muffin. What is it? What do I get for paying so much? I came from Indiana, their I payed between $80-$100/month for 2 older vehicles(plpd). When I first moved here I was paying $200/month, I've got that down to $185 but that is outrageous to me. My father lives in Indianapolis has 3 vehicles 1 older, 1 3yrs, and 1 new Lexus all with full coverage and pays $210/month. WTF? BTW I have no accidents, no tickets since 2003.

One more thing is this perminant trailer plates thing, and my boat registration. In Indiana I had to pay those every year, it wasn't much $20 for each, but our roads were "better" overall. Seems like Michigan is missing out on a lot of revenue?

https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-michigan-catastrophic-claims-association-fee-527416

Not really. I went for a trip around the midwest and all the roads are sucky. The only difference seems to be toll roads and plenty of them suck too. It's really bad when you pay a toll and then drive down a terrible toll road. 

There has been some funny business when it comes to fixing the roads. I've been watching one road in particular. It got it's funding to be resurfaced years ago and all that has gotten done is the engineering part of the job. I'm not sure what the hold up is now .....

I drive a lot of rural roads, I live now about 3 miles north of the Indiana line. Let me tell you their is a line on the road where Michigan ends and Indiana starts. I did say better overall not good. I'll take picks. They surface the back roads in Indiana a different way, not a better way just different. Their is a ton more potholes in Michigan roads. Indianas roads are wavy and not flat not a great ride but not as hard on vehicles. If u have ever drove from Lansing on 69 to Indianapolis u have seen the dif. Just my opinion I'm sure it's different everywhere.

I'm starting to call today. Theirs a lot. Any cheap ones u may recommend would be helpful. Thanks

I drive a lot of rural roads, I live now about 3 miles north of the Indiana line. Let me tell you their is a line on the road where Michigan ends and Indiana starts. I did say better overall not good. I'll take picks. They surface the back roads in Indiana a different way, not a better way just different. Their is a ton more potholes in Michigan roads. Indianas roads are wavy and not flat not a great ride but not as hard on vehicles. If u have ever drove from Lansing on 69 to Indianapolis u have seen the dif. Just my opinion I'm sure it's different everywhere.

I'm starting to call today. Theirs a lot. Any cheap ones u may recommend would be helpful. Thanks

I drove all over Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania on a road trip vacation last spring. I drove it in a motorcoach. You really get the feel for the roads on a trip like that in a big heavy vehicle. All the roads were equally bad except for a few toll roads. You don't get the total feel for the roads in the midwest until you do a tour. 

The only way you get a better deal from an insurance company is multi car discount and also having your home and car at the same place. Raising your deductible helps.  Show you have good health insurance from another source will lower your premium at some carriers. 

I have progressive now with a multi car deal, we rent so don't have home on their, did the health insurance thing which was a terrible experience with b cross bshield. I got it down like $28 sigh. I'll keep at it.

If it makes you feel like you are not paying so much.... my motorcoach plate alone is $1200 a year. I only put insurance on it when I'm using it, otherwise it just has storage insurance. For the first few years I had the coach I put a 30 day plate on it twice a year because I refused to pay the $1200. It was only $90 for the 30 day paper plate. Last year I finally bought a real plate.

Makes me feel a little better, but I don't get to use that motor coach, so not too much better but thanks for trying. The reason I bring this up is Ive been ready for 2 new cars for about a year now but am scared about the insurance being more than rent, come on, can't see doing that.

The more expensive the car the more the insurance .....

No fault insurance in and of itself makes the premiums more expensive. The insurance companies have to pay even if you are at fault in an accident. Prior to the no fault law if you were to blame they didn't have to pay.

One of the things that makes insurance so expensive in Michigan is the lack of a cap on coverage for catastrophic injuries. Medical expenses now are astronomical when compared to when the law was enacted back in the 70's. The insurance companies have to pay medical expenses for life to those seriously injured in an auto accident.

Another problem is the same flaw with Obamacare. It is dependent on those who don't have accidents paying premiums every month. This money helps cover expenses when a claim is payed.

The problem arises when the monthly premiums become too expensive and people drive without insurance. Then the companies have less money to pay the claims.

The more they pay the more they have to raise the premiums. The more they raise the premiums more people drive without insurance. Then they have to raise the rates. Then more people drive without insurance etc.

The very first accident I was in happened the day after the no fault law went into effect. I was rear ended at a red light and the other driver jumped out of the car and happily exclaimed, "It's no fault now, it's no fault now!"

Pure Michigan

Another problem is the same flaw with Obamacare. It is dependent on those who don't have accidents paying premiums every month. This money helps cover expenses when a claim is payed.

The problem arises when the monthly premiums become too expensive and people drive without insurance. Then the companies have less money to pay the claims.

I don't think many people get away with driving with no insurance. You can't even get a license plate.

Republicans always want to blame Catastrophic coverage for high insurance in Michigan.  As you can see, it only accounts for less than $15/month.

Republicans try to kill this every year.

Your insurance rates are high because of GREEDY insurance companies. PERIOD.

It really has nothing to do with Catastrophic coverage as is referred.

Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association Fee

If such a thing exists as a good place to get injured in an automobile accident, Michigan is it. Michigan has the best medical coverage in the United States when it comes to automobile accidents. Every insured driver in Michigan pays the Michigan catastrophic claims association fee, commonly referred to as the MCCA fee. Many residents do not know what the MCCA fee is or what it covers.

Michigan drivers often look over their policy to notice a large chunk of their insurance premium going towards the MCCA fee.

In Michigan medical coverage for someone injured in an automobile accident is unlimited. No cap, endless medical coverage regardless of the expense. For people severely injured it includes all rehab, at home care, and outfitting their home with handicap accessibility. As you can imagine, the cost can be astronomical especially if someone experiences irreparable damage at a young age.

Brief History of Past MCCA Fee Charges
  • July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 = $160 per car
  • July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016 = $150 per car
  • July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015 = $186 per car
  • July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014 = $186 per car

Michigan Catastrophic Claim Guidelines

• All medical claims are paid through your own auto insurance policy.
  • Car insurance carriers are responsible for the first $545,000 in medical expenses.
  • The MCCA pays anything above and beyond the $545,000 threshold.
  • Effective July 2016 the MCCA fee is $160 per vehicle per year.

• MCCA fee applies to both automobiles and motorcycles.

Many insurance companies separate out the charge the MCCA applies to Michigan drivers. It is common for declaration pages to total up the cost actually charged by your insurance carrier then add the MCCA fee in separately. Particularly when you have multiple vehicles on the policy, the MCCA fee can be extremely expensive.

Example:

Imagine you have a family of four drivers and insure five vehicles annually. Your six month MCCA fee would total $400 bringing your annual amount to a whopping $800. All the money goes directly into a fund which covers catastrophic automobile injuries. Michigan is the only state in the US to have a mandatory unlimited medical coverage for automobile accidents.

MCCA Benefits

Aside from the high cost, the MCCA does have benefits. Crash survivors and their family’s benefit greatly from the unlimited medical coverage provided by the MCCA. A major auto accident can not only cripple a family physically and emotionally but also financially. If you are caught in this situation, Michigan’s auto laws can make a huge difference in your way of life.

Controversy Surrounding Michigan’s Unlimited Medical Coverage

As with most government programs controversy almost always follows. The chances of being in a life altering car accident are minimal for most drivers. Nobody likes to be forced to pay for something they will ever need.

True thousands of people have benefited from the unlimited medical coverage in Michigan over the years, however, millions of people have been paying for it. Being the only state with the law also draws a lot of criticism.

State representatives are trying to rework the law so Michigan residents can select the amount of coverage they purchase verses the mandatory unlimited coverage required right now. Putting a limit on medical coverage could save Michigan drivers a lot of money.

Does the MCCA Fee Change between Carriers?

If you are new to Michigan or giving your Michigan insurance a closer look, don’t be surprised to see the MCCA fee listed on each vehicle. It doesn’t matter which insurance carrier you choose, the state mandates cost. However, insurance carriers do often charge statutory fees to cover the cost of handling the transaction of paying the MCCA. The statutory fee can range from two dollars possibly up to ten dollars per vehicle. When comparing quotes of insurance carriers in Michigan, it is best to take a look at the overall cost and not worry about who is charging a statutory fee.

Republicans always want to blame Catastrophic coverage for high insurance in Michigan.  As you can see, it only accounts for less than $15/month.

Republicans try to kill this every year.

Your insurance rates are high because of GREEDY insurance companies. PERIOD.

It really has nothing to do with Catastrophic coverage as is referred.

Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association Fee

If such a thing exists as a good place to get injured in an automobile accident, Michigan is it. Michigan has the best medical coverage in the United States when it comes to automobile accidents. Every insured driver in Michigan pays the Michigan catastrophic claims association fee, commonly referred to as the MCCA fee. Many residents do not know what the MCCA fee is or what it covers.

Michigan drivers often look over their policy to notice a large chunk of their insurance premium going towards the MCCA fee.

In Michigan medical coverage for someone injured in an automobile accident is unlimited. No cap, endless medical coverage regardless of the expense. For people severely injured it includes all rehab, at home care, and outfitting their home with handicap accessibility. As you can imagine, the cost can be astronomical especially if someone experiences irreparable damage at a young age.

Brief History of Past MCCA Fee Charges
  • July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 = $160 per car
  • July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016 = $150 per car
  • July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015 = $186 per car
  • July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014 = $186 per car

Michigan Catastrophic Claim Guidelines

• All medical claims are paid through your own auto insurance policy.
  • Car insurance carriers are responsible for the first $545,000 in medical expenses.
  • The MCCA pays anything above and beyond the $545,000 threshold.
  • Effective July 2016 the MCCA fee is $160 per vehicle per year.

• MCCA fee applies to both automobiles and motorcycles.

Many insurance companies separate out the charge the MCCA applies to Michigan drivers. It is common for declaration pages to total up the cost actually charged by your insurance carrier then add the MCCA fee in separately. Particularly when you have multiple vehicles on the policy, the MCCA fee can be extremely expensive.

Example:

Imagine you have a family of four drivers and insure five vehicles annually. Your six month MCCA fee would total $400 bringing your annual amount to a whopping $800. All the money goes directly into a fund which covers catastrophic automobile injuries. Michigan is the only state in the US to have a mandatory unlimited medical coverage for automobile accidents.

MCCA Benefits

Aside from the high cost, the MCCA does have benefits. Crash survivors and their family’s benefit greatly from the unlimited medical coverage provided by the MCCA. A major auto accident can not only cripple a family physically and emotionally but also financially. If you are caught in this situation, Michigan’s auto laws can make a huge difference in your way of life.

Controversy Surrounding Michigan’s Unlimited Medical Coverage

As with most government programs controversy almost always follows. The chances of being in a life altering car accident are minimal for most drivers. Nobody likes to be forced to pay for something they will ever need.

True thousands of people have benefited from the unlimited medical coverage in Michigan over the years, however, millions of people have been paying for it. Being the only state with the law also draws a lot of criticism.

State representatives are trying to rework the law so Michigan residents can select the amount of coverage they purchase verses the mandatory unlimited coverage required right now. Putting a limit on medical coverage could save Michigan drivers a lot of money.

Does the MCCA Fee Change between Carriers?

If you are new to Michigan or giving your Michigan insurance a closer look, don’t be surprised to see the MCCA fee listed on each vehicle. It doesn’t matter which insurance carrier you choose, the state mandates cost. However, insurance carriers do often charge statutory fees to cover the cost of handling the transaction of paying the MCCA. The statutory fee can range from two dollars possibly up to ten dollars per vehicle. When comparing quotes of insurance carriers in Michigan, it is best to take a look at the overall cost and not worry about who is charging a statutory fee.

It's more than $15 a month. I don't have to pay it on my collector cars, because of special use license plates, and last I checked it's over $70 a vehicle difference. Probably more now.

Edit; you are right. I was thinking you were saying it's $15 a year. It's less than $15 a month but that does add up....

Edited by Restorium2

I don't think many people get away with driving with no insurance. You can't even get a license plate.

On the contrary, I know several people who buy seven day "transportation" policies so they can buy plates then don't renew until they need new plates.

Rank State Premium

National average $1325

1 Michigan $2738

2 Montana $2297

3 New Jersey $1905

4 Louisiana $1842

5 Oklahoma $1778

6 DC $1773

7 California $1752

8 Florida $1654

9 Maryland $1610

10 Rhode Island $1608

11 Delaware $1607

12 Georgia $1559

13 Texas $1510

14 West Virginia $1456

15 Wyoming $1421

16 Colorado $1393

17 Connecticut $1367

18 South Carolina $1353

19 Arkansas $1345

20 Alabama $1337

21 Massachusetts $1325

22 Pennsylvania $1305

23 Kentucky $1295

24 New Mexico $1277

25 Mississippi $1277

26 Oregon $1267

27 Minnesota $1257

28 Nevada $1221

29 North Dakota $1200

30 Nebraska $1188

31 Arizona $1188

32 South Dakota $1168

33 Washington $1168

34 Tennessee $1145

35 Kansas $1135

36 Indiana $1113

37 Alaska $1078

38 Utah $1061

39 Missouri $1056

40 New York $1050

41 Hawaii $1049

42 Illinois $1035

43 Virginia $1020

44 Iowa $989

45 North Carolina $987

46 Vermont $942

47 New Hampshire $941

48 Idaho $935

49 Wisconsin $912

50 Ohio $900

51 Maine $808

Such a big gap it's sick.

Edited by Smallbiz

On the contrary, I know several people who buy seven day "transportation" policies so they can buy plates then don't renew until they need new plates.

I hope they know when they cancel the insurance it shows up on the registration with the State of Michigan. If a cop runs their plate they know the insurance lapsed. They aren't foolin' anyone. You can lose your driving privledges for driving without insurance.

Wild bill - ever been injured forlife by someone without insurance?  I have. In a state that didn't require insurance. I had to sue the driver of the other vehicle who was drunk, and he died and I ended up with 2,300 dollars to take care of myself for an entire lifetime.  No Fault matters. It protects us from the people you are speaking of.

Blame the right people!!!!!! The greed of Michigan insurance companies.

Michigan auto insurance industry "highly profitable," according to former insurance commissioner

Insurance lawyer shares analysis by nationally renowned insurance expert Jay Angoff that Michigan’s No-Fault insurance companies are reaping record profits and charging excessive premiums

“Highly profitable” is how former Insurance Commissioner Jay Angoff describes Michigan’s largest auto insurance companies.

This comes as no surprise to our Michigan insurance lawyers. Michigan is one of the only states in the entire country that does not have an insurance commissioner with the authority to regulate insurance company profits.

Considering the record-breaking insurance company profits these companies are making today, it certainly puts the “reform” the insurance lobby is pushing – the No-Fault “reform” bills – in a much different light.

Why take away incredibly important protections, such as lifetime necessary medical care, when insurance companies are already making the highest profits in the country; and when there are no guarantees (or even any language) in any of the bills that taking these valuable No-Fault insurance benefits away from us will even result in lower rates? Lest we forget, we’ve gone down this road before and each time has turned out to be a lie. It is hard to see how this time will be different. The only real guarantees are that this No-Fault “reform” legislation will really harm significantly injured Michigan auto accident victims and their families, and that they will further boost profits of the Michigan insurance companies.

Angoff report on insurance company profits

“For the three leading Michigan auto insurers — State Farm, Allstate, and AAA — [doing business in Michigan has] been highly profitable …,” Angoff wrote in his May 2007 report, “An Analysis of the Profitability and Performance of the Michigan Auto Insurance Market.”

Angoff, who is currently Director of the Office of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight for the Department of Health and Human Services, served as Missouri Insurance Commissioner from 1993 to 1998.

“AAA, which is the only one of the three leading carriers whose business consists predominantly of Michigan business, more than doubled its profits in five years, from $50.9 million in 2002 to $104.2 million in 2006,” Angoff declared in his 2007 profitability analysis.

Angoff also noted “that over the 1993-2002 decade … [Michigan auto insurers] were significantly more profitable than the national average,” according to the insurance industry trade journal, Auto Insurance Report (published by Risk Information, Inc.) in 2004.

Angoff determined that the premiums charged by Michigan auto insurance companies for mandatory coverage were too high.

“[W]e can say definitively that the liability and physical damage rates State Farm, AAA and Allstate have charged over the last five years have been excessive …” he concluded.

However, Angoff noted, “it is impossible to know how profitable … No-Fault coverage is in Michigan” because the public does not have access to the payment records for No-Fault claims that exceed a statutorily prescribed dollar amount.

Michigan mandatory auto insurance coverage

In Michigan, mandatory auto insurance coverage consists of:

o Personal protection insurance: Known as No-Fault PIP, covers medical expenses, wage loss and replacement services.

o Property protection insurance: This is insurance for vehicle and physical property damage.

o Residual liability insurance: This type of insurance covers liability for bodily injury.

More proof of profitability in Michigan’s auto insurance industry

Further proof of the profitability of Michigan’s auto insurance industry is found in the market’s composition. According to Pete Kuhnmuench, Executive Director of the Insurance Institute of Michigan, there are “hundreds of insurance companies” writing auto insurance in Michigan.

Certainly, so many auto insurance companies would not be clamoring to do business in Michigan if there were no profits to be had.

Angoff’s study also showed that the profits being pocketed by Michigan auto insurance companies were consistent with the national trend.

In 2005, the Auto Insurance Report said: “No one is allowed to complain about the auto insurance market in 2005. Everyone, and we mean everyone, made money, just as they did in 2004, and just as they will in 2006.”

And, in 2006, the Auto Insurance Report concluded that “[p]ersonal auto insurance reached its second highest after-tax profit margin in a generation in 2004.”

Angoff added that profitability for the property/casualty insurance industry, of which the auto insurance industry is a part, “reached new all-time highs” in 2004, 2005 and 2006.

We can fairly assume that these insurance company profits have gone up dramatically since. Amazing that the politicians that are pushing these insurance lobby bills in the Michigan Legislature and almost all of the Michigan media aren’t asking the simple question: just how much money are these insurance companies making today? And isn’t there a better way to reduce auto insurance premiums for the rest of us besides taking away our own no fault insurance protections?

michigan-auto-law-logo.png

Injured? Free Advice (888) 995-6680

0 Google +0 Buffer0

MCCA can keep ‘secrets’ about No Fault auto insurance fee for catastrophic claims

August 30, 2016 by Steven Gursten

On remand, MI Court of Appeals refuses to require disclosure under FOIA; Michigan Legislature is last chance for obtaining much-needed MCCA transparency

MCCA-not-subject-to-disclosure-under-FOI

Transparency is “out” and secrecy’s “in” at the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA).

Despite the disclosure requirements of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled the MCCA has the legal right to keep “secret” its methods and calculations for setting its annual No Fault auto insurance assessment for catastrophic insurance claims.

This is a terrible blow that impacts everyone. The ruling hurts all of us who must pay a portion of our auto premiums towards an annual auto No Fault insurance fee for catastrophic personal injury claims from motor vehicle accidents, but who will continue to be kept in the dark about where a chunk of our yearly auto insurance premiums are going.

The ruling also hurts all car accident injury victims who have suffered serious injuries and whose auto No Fault medical claims handling now involve the MCCA. It hurts lawyers like me who represent these auto accident victims when we see the defense lawyers and adjusters hide behind this lack of openness and transparency in lawsuits and legal discovery.

But most of all it hurts the public and the public’s right to know how their No Fault fees are being assessed and how their dollars are being spent.

Transparency is essential – and long overdue – both within the MCCA’s financial calculations for the MCCA fee assessments and throughout the car insurance industry, whose secrecy shields the industry’s hypocrisy of making enormous profits from a system it continually complains to the Legislature is broken.

Republicans like to claim they are all for transparency in government, especially when it comes to how government spends money.

But what about when it comes to the MCCA?

The odds are indeed long that the Republicans – who currently control the Michigan Legislature – will take action now that we know the courts aren’t going to protect our right to know the MCCA’s “secrets.” Generous political campaign contributions to these politicians from Michigan’s auto insurance companies seem to give the insurance industry a pass in how they assess and spend a chunk of our auto No Fault premium every year. Much easier for the insurance industry to blame the car accident lawyers and to say Michigan need caps on auto No Fault medical treatment than it is for them to open their books to allow the public to see how our own auto premium fees are being assessed and spent.

Court: MCCA not subject to disclosure under FOIA

In CPAN v. MCCA, a two-judge majority on the Court of Appeals ruled that the MCCA is exempt from the FOIA, thereby removing the last bit of hope that Michigan courts will protect consumers and car accident injury victims about the price they must pay for auto insurance.

Specifically, the appellate judges in CPAN v. MCCA determined:

• The MCCA is a “public body” within the meaning of and, thus, is covered by the FOIA.
  • The statutory amendment, which “exempted the MCCA’s records from FOIA disclosure,” didn’t violate the constitutional provision that former Justice Cooley described as being aimed at prohibiting the “‘mischief’” caused by “‘the enactment of amendatory statutes in terms so blind that the legislators themselves were sometimes deceived in regard to their effect, and the public, from the difficulty in making the necessary examination and comparison, failed to become apprised of the changes made in the laws.”

It’s unfortunate that Judge Elizabeth L. Gleicher’s dissent didn’t prevail because I think her observations about the constitutionality of the MCCA’s FOIA exemption are astute and compelling:

“The core objective of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) … ‘is to provide the people of this state with full and complete information regarding the government’s affairs[.]’ … Our Constitution’s provision prescribing the manner in which statutes may be amended … prevents the Legislature from cloaking alterations of previously-enacted laws in garb ‘calculated to mislead the careless as to its effect[.]’ … By inserting a FOIA exemption into a statute addressing certain operational mechanics of insurance ‘associations,’ the Legislature obscured from public view its significant diminution of the FOIA’s reach. Because this piecemeal amendment contravenes our Constitution, I respectfully dissent.”

To learn more about the Michigan Supreme Court order that led to the Court of Appeals ruling, please check out my blog post, “Michigan Supreme Court punts on MCCA transparency case, orders ‘re-do.’”

The big question now for everyone who wanted MCCA transparency is what will Michigan lawmakers do next – and will Republican lawmakers demand the same level of transparency for how Michigan citizens pay their auto No Fault insurance fee for catastrophic personal injury claims from motor vehicle accidents as these Republicans do from other government institutions?