Mpp Legalization Meetings

Oregon Medical Marijuana Program Under Attack

As a businessman myself, I usually don’t begrudge people for making a profit. But as an activist, brought up under the apprenticeship of cannabis icon Jack Herer, I have to speak my mind when money and profits are put ahead of the people, the voters and disabled patients; especially under the cover of darkness, in back-room deals without any public hearing. This is why I am asking Oregonians to contact the Oregon Measure 91 Implementation Committee and urge them to vote “NO” on the “Dash 6” Amendments to Senate Bill 844.

Senate Bill 844 started out as a simple two page bill that has allowed the Measure 91 Committee to consider “technical” fixes and clarifications sought by the OLCC when regulating Measure 91. However, amendments released on Friday afternoon, just before 5pm, would change the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act as we know it. This is an unprecedented maneuver by the legislative committee. This 89-page “amendment” is being sneaked in at the last minute in an apparent attempt to catch the Oregon cannabis community and everyone who cares about patients, off-guard. We cannot let this happen.

Amendments to a bill don’t have to undergo the same public hearing requirements that a stand-alone bill must hold; while this may make sense some of the time, it is an insult to patients and a mockery of our democratic process. These “Dash 6” amendments will decrease the number of patients that growers may provide for; institute fees on growers; allow for home inspections of even personal gardens; mandate extensive reporting and record-keeping; and allow OHA bureaucrats to call the police for any violation of the rules. Unfortunately, the “Dash 6” amendments will push growers into either the recreational system or onto the black market as many won’t want to jump through the hoops to continue growing for sick and disabled patients.

More than 40% of medical marijuana patients are on some type of low-income assistance program with the state, unable to purchase from dispensaries or on the black market. It is imperative that we stand up for sick and disabled patients as they can’t afford to hire high-priced lobbyists that protect various special interest groups. Despite the fact that I own medical marijuana clinics, I supported the Measure 91 legalization proposal that could decrease the number of patients, as many people might feel that they no longer need a medical card after legalization. Measure 91 was explicitly clear that it wasn’t intended to change the medical program, yet some legislators apparently are willing to go against the will of the voters.

I have no qualms about people making money selling recreational marijuana for a profit. But I draw the line on making making exorbitant profits on the back of sick and disabled patients, be it growers, retailers or the state. Let’s honor the will of the voters and protect patients’ access to medical cannabis.

IMPORTANT CALL TO ACTION:

The Measure 91 Committee is starting to consider amendments that will severely impact the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act. These amendments are being attached to Senate Bill 844. While the amendment contains some beneficial provisions for the OMMA, it unnecessarily restricts patient grow sites and places too many barriers upon medical marijuana providers. Some of the more troubling provisions:

•Starting on March 1, 2016, grow sites in residential areas will only be able to grow for 2 patients maximum (12 plants); non-residential locations will only be able to grow for 8 total (48 plants).

•Growers will be subjected to a fee and inspections (even for personal grows)

•Growers will have to report monthly to the state and keep records up to 7 years.

•Any violation of the rules allows OHA to contact law enforcement.

Please send emails to the Measure 91 Committee immediately and then follow up with phone calls today, and let them know that they should vote “NO” on the Senate Bill “Dash 6” amendments. The 89 page “Dash 6” amendment was sneaked onto Monday’s agenda late Friday afternoon, amending a two page bill. There is a special rule that allows legislators to pass an amendment, even if it has nothing to do with the original bill, without holding a public hearing with public testimony. It is imperative that you act now to help protect Oregon’s patients and their safe access to medicine.

Washington and Oregon are having problems with their state legislatures

I can only imagine that if a "legalization" effort were to pass, our state legislature would have no problem getting rid of the medical program.

this has not happened in colorado, maine, alaska, washington, DC, oregon, etc etc

Washingtons got neutered and restricted.

Also, the only states worth looking at at this point are Washington, Colorado, Alaska, Oregon.  Not etc etc etc.

We will see what happens in these new states. :-)

But it is very legitimate to be concerned.

Oregon Medical Marijuana Program Under Attack

• 2 weeks later...

Washington and Oregon are having problems with their state legislatures.

yes, i was hoping you would argue honestly.

the reply was "get rid of the medical program". to which i replied, no state has gotten rid of mmj program.

changes, sure, every state has made changes to the medical mj ballot proposals. mostly restrictions in every state as well.

but none of the states have completely removed the medical program.

so you are arguing with yourself.

Edited by bax

Dont understand to much... is it possiboe to paraphrase it for me...

From what i understood was...

2016 legalization was denied due to a couple of ballots...

2017 and 2018 are going to be strides to better educate oir state on the uses of marijuana for medicinal purposes...

Law makers have a point sysem to pass the legislation...

I think... taxation is better word of use too..

What if your just operating the store...

lets say fda stops by...

like bax said to me a previous post...

They hit you with a fine due to some constictions on how much medical marijuna is being released in high quatities...

Also... what if there is a third party vendor who delivers and brings in the wrong product and the other buisness sells it?

What if while packaging the perscription for the client...an officer comes in with details and whereabouts of fraud... how should i deal with the client on this type of scale.

How about... the grower had a bad crop... i invested some money... the results were pretty bad for the businesse.. how does a worker respond to the owner...

If its taking so long to understand what medicial marijuana does for the state of michigan? And othrr states are already understanding... is it on the basis of our political represetatives trying to disperse the share of wealth within each city.

Does the effect of having to many dispensaries be the problem from once city to to the other?

Does restricting the amount of dispensary cut or losses or gain more losses...

Lets say we are running out of a specific supply that deals with cancer... how can a maanager or pharmacy tech or stock supervisor deal eith this when our client is dying...

Are there special restrictions on state to state emergency protocols for such patients...

Facebook was created for more procument of such legislation to pass through...

I just dont understand because theres to much info being seeing can it be cut fown to a paragraph pr two please... and than...ya already know...

Dont understand to much... is it possiboe to paraphrase it for me...

For a better understanding of how things are currently working in Michigan watch the Weediquette episode "Search and Seizure". It will give you a better idea of how patients and caregivers are currently treated by the State.

You can extrapolate from there to get an idea of how things will go from here. I don't think they'll be doing much to help patients.

Ohh boy.   It's been a minute, better wet my whistle and drop my 2 cent worth in. 
First come quotes to reply too.

I attended the MPP meeting in GRnlast night. I concur for the most part with Chuck's comments. I didn't "hear" a couple of the points exactly as Chuck did, but for the most part they're inconsequential at this point.

I came away from the meeting hopeful. Officially, the MPP staff were cautious in saying they were hopeful to be joining forces with MiLegalize and building a new coalition moving forward, but individually and privately they seem to believe it will happen (joining forces).

On a related note, there was a Cannabis Industry consultant in attendance. I spoke with this person after the meeting and asked what they were telling perspective growers who want to obtain a lincense under the new laws what it would cost to set everything up: Upwards of $500K! And, there is already a lot of out of state money gearing up to come in. If this accurate, how can the average guy/gal even begin to think about competing?

This is what we all have been saying to expect for the last few years.  300K lie-sense fees and 100k to 24/7 DigitalCam/Audio State mandated online monitoring system annual costs, toss in the 5000.00 here and there for every local politician you have to pay off.

I have looked at about $300,000 to truly open a grow.  Get 10 caregivers to pitch in $30,000 each and go for it.

Business takes investment.  Make it an employee owned corporation. Could probably stretch to 15 Caregivers/patients to invest $20,000 each.

If you don't even have that much money to invest,.... why the hell did you ever think you could open a business anyway?

My blue birds have told me to expect to have to have 1 Million in Liquid Assets. I presume as a liability lien upon some real and tangible property.
No 1 million in Liquid Assets, no qualify for the Lie-Senses.   We shall see by October or November allegedly.

this has not happened in colorado, maine, alaska, washington, DC, oregon, etc etc

You have not been paying attention then.  I have spoken to multiple people that were in Colorado and came home, and seen how it was turning.

Oregon is about the best still. Every other "Legalized" state has been pushing hard on Medical.  Ak has been pretty quiet so.  but its Ak. so...