The Next 4

Michigan's medical program began in 2008 and has existed entirely during Obama's presidency.

Trump's actions since the election (nominations) seem to indicate that we are about to be plunged back into the war on drugs - one which includes mj. 

If federal enforcement agencies request information from legal medical states, every participant of those programs could become a target. Which is to say, in the new scenario, being in the program itself could be a danger.

Edited by sfalken

How long should we wait to drop out? I'm thinking maybe until the legislature or the voters overturn the Medical Marijuana program in Michigan.

The people of the State of Michigan have given me permission to use medical marijuana. If the New Nazis in the Federal Government want to nail me up on their cross of false morality, then I suppose there won't be much I or anyone else will be able to do about it. I won't go quietly however.

Your risk depends on the safety of your stash and grow. Always has. Having a card is just one line of protection, the front line. If the front line falls we depend on our other lines of defense, anonymity and subterfuge. When all that fails you need to have confidence because the penalties are less than they used to be. Everything in context. If you have been doing your best to stay inside the rules of the State, and can prove it by a stack of cards, your penalty will be the very least possible if caught trying to comply.

It's important to remember that Michigan's medical program began in 2008 and has existed entirely during Obama's presidency. We are 'where we are' largely thanks to Obama's hands off approach.

Trump's actions since the election (nominating extremist drug-war zealots to attorney general, department of health, and department of homeland security positions) seem to indicate that we are about to be plunged back into the war on drugs. Once confirmed as AG, it will take little effort for Jeff Sessions to restart the drug-war. Sessions hates mj, and he has the ear of the new president, who's opinions seem to change with the wind. A letter to state governments from the AG regarding medical-mj is all it will take to get the ball rolling. Will the SOM stand up to protect the program or patients? Doubt it.

HIPAA provides protection, but patient information can still be provided to enforcement agencies. If federal enforcement agencies request patient info from legal medical states, in all likelihood they will get it - and then every patient and caregiver becomes a target of the new administration. Easier targets than some of their other objectives, it should be pointed out.

Life is full of risks. Until now being a part of this program has been a legal way for patients to manage medical problems using mj and be (at least in theory) protected by state law. In the new scenario, under the new 1938 regime, the program itself could become a danger to patients.

Question is; how long should medical patients wait before dropping out of state medical mj programs for their own safety?I agree,i would drop out now to be on the safe side.

Excuse my frankness, but in my opinion, that's just plain idiotic at this point. 

Life is full of risks. Until now being a part of this program has been a legal way for patients to manage medical problems using mj and be (at least in theory) protected by state law. In the new scenario, under the new 1938 regime, the program itself could become a danger to patients.

Question is; how long should medical patients wait before dropping out of state medical mj programs for their own safety?

I agree,i would drop out now.

most marijuana enforcement in the usa is done by the states themselves, not federal prosecution. i think its 99% state enforced laws. it even says this within the MMMA law itself. Have you read the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act? It is not very long.

MCL 333.26424

(b) Data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reports and the Compendium of Federal Justice Statistics show that approximately 99 out of every 100 marihuana arrests in the United States are made under state law, rather than under federal law. Consequently, changing state law will have the practical effect of protecting from arrest the vast majority of seriously ill people who have a medical need to use marihuana.

the only protections mmj patients and caregivers have right now from michigan state law prohibiting possession of marihuana is the MMMA state law. if you drop out of the MMMA state law but continue to use marijuana, you lose MMMA law protection and are subject to the penalties within the Michigan state law.

if jeff sessions decides to hire a million federal officers to find marijuana users, that would be the largest govt agency (outside of the military) and it would then be a good idea to drop out of the MMMA program.

but since that has a very low chance of happening, there is nothing to worry about by staying in the MMMA program right now.

if you have other theories on why dropping out would be a good idea, you should articulate them.

Edited by bax

Stop the Jeff Sessions Nomination Donald Trump has picked Jeff Sessions to be the next Attorney General. It really couldn’t get any worse. Jeff Sessions is a drug war extremist who has supported policies with racist impacts. He will bring back militarized, Reagan-era drug war tactics and raids on marijuana businesses.

This week the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold confirmation hearings on Sessions and we need to fight back. Send a message to your Senators telling them to oppose Jeff Sessions for Attorney General. 

Take Action Now

https://engage.drugpolicy.org/secure/stop-jeff-sessions?ms=3A1_1701SessionsNomination&utm_campaign=fy17advocacy&utm_medium=social&utm_source=1701fbc3SessionsNomination&cid=701U0000000xybsIAA 

Edited by cristinew

these narctotics task forces that are in every state are technically state ran but they work and share info with the dea on a daily basis.

Strength in numbers ...... there's over 200,000 registered medical marijuana patients in Michigan

did hitler have any problem killing like 500,000 gypsies? 200,000 people have essentially registered themselves to this new regime.

it's a little extreme making that comparison but i'm honestly terrified of what is to come.

obama just signed a law on the 7th that allows 16 agencies to get whatever info they want from the nsa. one of those agencies is the dea...thanks for the parting gift obama.

I believe they were already getting the info but before they had to make up parallel construction on how they got the info to bust someone. now they just get everything they need from the nsa and can use it in court.

i guess it's possible they were the the only one in the 1st place.  although i highly doubt that. nsa spying started way before 2013. 2013 is just when snowden blew the whistle. who knows what goes on in the secret government with secret courts.

Last night's episode of VICELAND's Weediquette focused on how police forces in Michigan are using civil asset forfeiture to target legally run medicinal marijuana businesses in the state.

I didn't know we had legal medical Marijuana businesses here in Michigan?

yeah my friend wanted to enter his strain for the high times cup in michigan but the entry form says it must be a legal mmm business in michigan. im not sure how that is going to work.

Trump is 100% for medical. Paranoid much?

yeah I might have smoked a little sativa haha. but really all of trumps actions so far show otherwise.

Last night's episode of VICELAND's Weediquette focused on how police forces in Michigan are using civil asset forfeiture to target legally run medicinal marijuana businesses in the state.

I didn't know we had legal medical Marijuana businesses here in Michigan?

I seen that show and must say this, no one should go to jail for mm but to tell the cops all about your illegal dispensary was pretty stupid.

The dispensary had permission to operate from Kimball Township, which had passed an ordinance allowing it. They contacted the local drug task force before they opened. The task force consulted with the local prosecutor, who said they should investigate and raid instead, and never called back. A sheriff's deputy known personally by the defendants told them they were OK to operate.

It is fine to say somebody is stupid I guess, but these people had literally everybody telling them it was OK, including their attorney. What would you do if your attorney and township said you could open and operate a dispensary, and the DTF said you are not going to be arrested?

We all know cops lie so personally I would have waited for a Bill to pass or stayed off the radar.