Trump Reality Check

Restorium2

Given Trump’s rhetoric against companies shipping jobs out of the United States....

The Facts

Trump apparel 

The Donald J. Trump Collection includes ties, suits, dress shirts, eyeglasses and other accessories.

Trump shirts were made in China, Bangladesh, Honduras and Vietnam. PolitiFact Virginia found some Trump sport coats made in India. Import data from 2007  showed Trump men’s shirt shipments marked as made in South Korea.

Some of the Trump suits on Amazon.com show they were imported, Made in USA or both. BuzzFeed ordered a suit that was listed as both “imported” and “Made in USA” — and ended up with a label showing the suits were made in Indonesia.

Users commented on Amazon.com that the suit that BuzzFeed purchased previously was listed as being imported from Mexico or China. This photo shows a Trump suit that carries a “Made in Mexico” label.

Manufacturing information online is not always reliable — for example, a photo of one shirt shows a “Made in Bangladesh” label, but the item description says it was made in China.

This may be a reflection of the different countries that products sometimes pass through before they are ultimately shipped into the United States.

Trump eyeglasses are made in China. Cufflinks and other accessories do not list the source of manufacturing on Amazon.com.

Trump home items

Trump Home has a range of items, including chandeliers, mirrors, bedding, table lamps, cabinets, sofas, barstools, cocktail tables and more.

Trump expanded the Trump Home brand internationally, including in Turkey. A Trump Organization news release shows it partnered with a global luxury furniture brand, Dorya International, to expand the Trump Home brand to a production facility in Turkey. According to Furniture Today, components of the Trump by Dorya furniture were made in Germany, particularly the brass and stainless pieces.

Several Trump Home items are listed as made in China or imported from China — mirrors, ceramic vases, wall decorations, kitchen items and lighting fixtures.  A trademark registration for the Trump Home brand shows picture frames and other home products were made in India.

The Trump Home by Rogaska tabletop collection featured a crystal and china collection with a company based in Slovenia

Trump hotel items

Many hotel amenities at Trump’s hotels were manufactured overseas and imported. Trump Hotel pens were made in China or Taiwan, and imported into the United States via South Korea. Shampoo, body wash, moisturizers, shower caps, laundry bags, show bags, pet collars, pet leashes and bath towels at Trump hotels are all listed as made in China.

Trump beverages

Trump Vodka was manufactured at a distillery in the Netherlands, supposedly distilled five times from “European wheat,” but the distribution company stopped carrying it in 2010. An Israeli company continued to carry Trump Vodka, although the version sold in Israel is different from the original Trump Vodka. The Trump Vodka produced and sold in Israel is made from ingredients that make it kosher for Passover, which made it a popular beverage around the holidays. But the Jerusalem Post reported that it turned out that not all ingredients actually were kosher for Passover.

Note: There’s a Trump Winery located in Charlottesville, Va., but it is reported to be owned by his son, Eric. The Trump Winery website says its name is a registered trademark of Eric Trump Wine Manufacturing, LLC. The winery imports all their glassware.

The Bottom Line

We know of at least 12 countries where Trump products were manufactured (China, the Netherlands, Mexico, India, Turkey, Slovenia, Honduras, Germany, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Vietnam and South Korea). Further, Trump products transited other countries through the packaging and shipping process — meaning workers in more than 12 countries contributed to getting many of Trump’s products made, packaged and delivered to the United States.

Trump’s practice as a businessman is not consistent with his current rhetoric against trade as a presidential nominee — this vulnerability is backed with more than enough factual evidence. If Trump brand customers took the same stance against his products as Trump says he  did against Nabisco by not eating Oreo's, it is clear they would be left with few Trump items to buy. However, we do know of at least one Trump product made in the United States: “Make America Great Again” hats. Although they were made in China for the first half of his campaign until he was embarrassed publically about it.

"Production sharing" means that the U.S. has an actual positive balance of trade with Mexico, rather than huge deficits as with China, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan etc. For example, in 2014, Mexico sold $290 billion to the U.S. Forty percent of $290 Billion is $116 billion which, when added to the $240 billion in goods and services we sold Mexico, totals at $356 billion, or a positive trade balance of $182 billion. Mr. Trump, do the math.

The Wilson Center also posits that "There are 6 million U.S. jobs that depend on trade with Mexico. Two border states that trade extensively with Mexico, California (692,000 jobs) and Texas (463,000 jobs) have the most…Detroit (alone) exports $10.9 BILLION in cars and car parts to Mexico (part of the total of $20 BILLION worth of cars and auto parts exported to Mexico)."

What I would say about that part of the article is that they are using fuzzy math with production sharing. In reality we have about a 50 billion dollar trade deficit with mexico,... which is far less than with even say Germany.  It is actually in a decent zone.

It's not that complicated. I'm a retired auto worker. I know what it takes to run a machine, a healthy body and some training. That's it.

Build a plant and they will come and work. As long as you pay them enough to buy the car they are building. That's the equation. 

Keep it simple and the white shirts can't hide behind complicated ideas that give them money for nothing.

Trump should keep it simple. The unions will follow him if he keeps it simple. Build the plants here. Pay the workers enough to buy the car they are making.  

If Trump would have singled out the new Buick Envision being built in China and targeted sales are here, the unions would have been standing right behind him. All he did yesterday was fluff. Auto worker unions are made of hard working rugged individuals that don't like fluff. They just want a decent job with good pay and they are OK. 

If we truly want to bring back manufacturing jobs to the U.S. We have to focus on why they left in the first place. We bombed the shorts of the Japanese and Germans in WWII and then handed them our technology during reconstruction. Within a generation, by the 1970s, the Japanese and Germans started beating us at our own game,with quality and fuel efficient vehicles. Americans got too comfortable.

Why is it that the Japanese responded to the oil crisis in the 1970s with quality cars and the best we could do was offer the Ford Pinto? During WWII, we were able to quickly re-tool auto manufacturing plants to crank out planes and tanks. But we didn't respond to the oil crisis 30 years later with quality cars. Jimmy Carter nailed it with his "crisis of confidence" speech but that was 30 years ahead of its time and mostly just scared people.

In my line of work, I meet a lot of folks who own or operate manufacturing plants. What I've learned from them is that the Chinese and Mexicans crank-out low quality. Case in point- the Magna plant in Grand Blanc, MI. They make backup cameras. Their facility in Grand Blanc had a parts failure of about 1 in 1,000,000. Their facility in China had a failure rate of 1 in 1,000. Magna decided to close the plant in China and move production to Grand Blanc, resulting in 400 new jobs.

I'm not a jingoist. But the truth is, the Chinese make crap. Visit your local Harbor Freight tool store. I used to be a sucker for their low-priced tools, but quickly learned that most of their power tools are extremely low quality. I'd rather spend a bit more and buy a tool I can pass onto my son.

I still have a Milwaukee sawzall my dad used in the 1960s.

Chinese workers routinely fling themselves to their death out of factory windows. That's not a good business model. They don't care about quality. They are waay lower on Maslove's pyramid.

If the U.S. generally and Michigan specifically, wants to bring back manufacturing jobs, we need to focus on vocational education.

We need to depart from the notion that every young person needs a college education. We need to emphasize vocational education at the high school level to build a solid work force of carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and machinists.

If Trump is serious about bringing blue collar jobs back to the U.S., he will push for funding in the public education sector to teach our youth vocational skills. It all starts there.

You get 'on the job' training. All you need is a GED. If you need more training they send you to night school at the local college. 

This is what turned Michigan to a red state, the hopes that Trump would keep it simple and bring our good paying manufacturing jobs back. 

We need to keep his feet to the fire on this. If he fails (or doesn't even try, just has breakfast with the top brass like yesterday) then people need to know that they didn't get what they voted for. So we/they don't get fooled again. 

Read the want adds there are alot of construction jobs, most say experience helps but will train!

They have been complaining that they dont have enough workers in the building trades! all you need is to be able to learn and be reliable and it pays pretty good most of the time!

Read the want adds there are alot of construction jobs, most say experience helps but will train!

They have been complaining that they dont have enough workers in the building trades! all you need is to be able to learn and be reliable and it pays pretty good most of the time!

Off topic. Those jobs were available last year thanks to Obama. We want change for the better. People voted for Trump to make Michigan Great Again. Not to have breakfast with the scoundrels who killed the Michigan Auto Industry.  He should have had breakfast with workers and slam the 'money for nothing' white shirts with a tax on cars built in China targeting America's auto buyers.

You can't twist the simple reality of what happened yesterday ...... a fluffy breakfast with the problem children and no solutions. 

Off topic. Those jobs were available last year thanks to Obama. We want change for the better. People voted for Trump to make Michigan Great Again. Not to have breakfast with the scoundrels who killed the Michigan Auto Industry.  He should have had breakfast with workers and slam the 'money for nothing' white shirts with a tax on cars built in China targeting America's auto buyers.

You can't twist the simple reality of what happened yesterday ...... a fluffy breakfast with the problem children and no solutions. 

I should have quoted highlander, I didnt mean trump made them jobs, yes they have been lacking construction workers since the housing market startine getting better, and yes under obama!

my post was meaning not all kids have to get a college degree to get a decent paying job, im a retired union construction worker, it did me good, yes in my later yrs I wish I would have gotten an education to be able to get into better paying jobs, but im not a desk jockie kind of person!

I should have quoted highlander, I didnt mean trump made them jobs, yes they have been lacking construction workers since the housing market startine getting better, and yes under obama!

my post was meaning not all kids have to get a college degree to get a decent paying job, im a retired union construction worker, it did me good, yes in my later yrs I wish I would have gotten an education to be able to get into better paying jobs, but im not a desk jockie kind of person!

I worked construction too, in several states because of the weather here in the winter is not so good for everyone to have a construction job. The steady work was always the auto industry. Being a construction worker in Michigan can mean sitting on your arse half the winter and your family suffers. We need both, not one or the other. Without the auto workers there's much less money for construction.

I understand that many employers will offer paid training. But I still think a focus on vocational education is a good thing. We spend a lot of money on high school kids taking classes they have no interest in and therefore learn nothing. Let's face the reality that a lot of young people simply aren't college material. So instead of wasting money for them to sit through classes like art, choir, and history, let's teach them a skill. Let's spend our tax dollars for education wisely.

And there are many fields in which paid training isn't much of an option. Like cosmetology, auto mechanics, and nursing aids.

Any employer would rather hire someone with a two-year vocational certificate than someone with no skills or training. So let's spend wisely and use our tax dollars to train young folks.

About 20 years ago I was asked by the Genesee Area Skill Center to give input on training for kids to get an entry-level position in my field (environmental response and cleanup). I spent countless hours writing a curriculum and preparing course materials and meeting with teachers with the goal that that those who completed the program could get a job right out of high school for about $15/hr. Probably $20/hr. Today. I even offered to teach classes for free.

I was disgusted when I went to a lunch meeting with all the teachers and administrators, and the principal of the skill center started a talk by saying "vocational education is dead." He wanted to turn the skill center into a magnate school of higher learning in academics. Totally not vocational.

The primary class I wanted to see was OSHA hazardous waste site operations (Hazwoper). This is a 40-hour program to certify people who do anything from simple environmental sampling, to fighting fires, to emergency response for train car derailments. In the private sector, this 40-hour course costs about $500. And I've hired many young people and immediately sent them to Hazwoper training. Between the cost of the course, mileage to drive to class, and hourly wage, it costs around $1,500 to send a new hire through this program. And that's a gamble for any business, investing $1,500 in training right out of the gate.

I agree on vocational training. We can do more in High school and diversify community colleges.

The problem with many forms of vocational training is the lack of foresight.  Kids go to school for 2 years to get a job that existed a year ago.  It happens a lot.

I mean, does the haz field of work need that many people? I doubt we need 100 a year in my county. ;-)  It is hard to remain diversified enough in education to keep up with current needs. It always has a huge lag time.

BUT, certain skills are very universal or adaptable to many fields.

I mean, I know we need welders RIGHT NOW.  But, by the time you train a kid, is that job still there?  Maybe a bad example, but ya know what I mean.

This is one of the reasons I miss unions.  Apprenticeships.  The good unions really prided themselves.

Anyhow, I agree, but I see the problems too.

Technology is pervasive enough to prohibit any real return to manufacturing jobs. What? Will Trump tell manufacturers they can't use technology, but must hire people to do the low skilled jobs of the past? This notion that we can return to an economic environment that provided those jobs is absurd.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2016/11/21/why-trumps-factory-job-promises-wont-pan-out-in-one-chart/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=metro

Why Trump’s factory job promises won’t pan out—in one chart

Mark Muro and Sifan Liu

Monday, November 21, 2016

Last week, we wrote that we thought President-elect Donald Trump would be hard-pressed to deliver on his promises to “bring back” large numbers of America’s lost manufacturing jobs, even if he does renegotiate the nation’s trade deals. The reason: Manufacturing work is increasingly carried out by robots, rather than people. 

Authors
murom.jpg
Mark Muro Senior Fellow and Policy Director - Metropolitan Policy Program
Sifan Liu Research Assistant - Metropolitan Policy Program

The problem for Trump and blue-collar workers is that when manufacturing returns to the states (and several trends favor that), the associated job-creation will not be what it once was.  Nor will the difference be just a minor effect – it’s going to be major.

Which is why we want to add this telling chart to the discussion about the future of manufacturing jobs. Take a look at this single, stark graph depicting the 35-year-history of U.S. manufacturing efficiency:

metro_20161121_mfg_productivity_jobs1.pn

Here you can see in the two line plots that the inflation-adjusted output of the manufacturing sector is as high as it has ever been, while employment declined by more than 6 million jobs over 35 years. Viewed positively, the diverging output and employment lines represent a success: They reflect solid increases in U.S. manufacturing productivity.  But now look at the declining series of gray bars. These bars report the steadily declining number of workers required to generate each $1 million of manufacturing output during the time period, given the sharply increased productivity of the sector.

And the story is dramatic: In 1980, it took 25 jobs to generate $1 million in manufacturing output in the U.S. Today, it takes just 6.5 jobs to generate that amount—and that’s after five more stable years of little change.

The Trump administration will need to “bring back” a huge amount of manufacturing activity in the next few years if it is going to meaningfully address the plight of displaced production workers with new manufacturing jobs. How much of a manufacturing renaissance would be needed to repair the breach? Since 1980, the nation has lost some 6.4 million manufacturing jobs—more than one-third of the sector’s employment base. Restoring just half of those jobs in the next four years would require, factoring in current manufacturing efficiency and job sparseness, a massive 26 percent surge in manufacturing output. To put that in perspective, this additional needed output would be equivalent to about 100 Tesla “gigfactories.”  (And in fact, Tesla only plans to hire 6,500 people to produce an anticipated $100 billion in output over two decades, meaning its highly-automated operation will require just 1.3 jobs to generate $1 million output annually!).

Edited by GregS

They build cars in china to sell in china mostly.

Show me the giant imports of Chinese made cars in the US?

Not going to happen.

Envision is to be the first right?  And it will fail miserably.

They build em close to where they sell em.

That's why toyota is in like Kentucky and Canada etc.

We aren't going to be seeing  any Great Wall cars here.

I mean, China in and of itself is the largest Car market in the world.  You build to sell there. And in Korea and India and New Zealand and maybe Australia. Vietnam etc.

US market is not as big as it used to be. China passed us up as the largest Automobile market in the world awhile ago and will continue to skyrocket past us.

A PEEK under the hood of three new cars from Volvo, Buick and Cadillac will not reveal a Made in China label. But those cars are breaking new ground in the auto industry, becoming the first to be manufactured in the People’s Republic and exported to the United States.

Sweden’s Volvo, now owned by Geely Auto of China, has shipped more than 1,000 copies of its S60 Inscription.

Buick, desperate to fill the most glaring hole in its lineup, the compact crossover, will import the Envision.

And this month, Cadillac announced that it would export a plug-in hybrid version of its new CT6 flagship sedan from China, supplementing production of the standard version from its Detroit-Hamtramck plant.

The arrival of Chinese-made cars has surprised some people in the United States, particularly United Auto Workers leaders who objected to General Motors’ decision to begin selling the Buick Envision starting this July.

But it is the culmination of a long-promised, never-fulfilled vision, and their introduction stands in stark contrast to 2007, when Chinese automakers stormed auto shows in America, making bold promises that they would soon open showrooms here.

But the mainly low-budget cars appeared dowdy, primitive, even potentially unsafe. Not one Chinese-branded car cracked the American market, though companies like Guangzhou Automobile continue to float the idea.

Since that time, much has changed. Global and Chinese automakers have teamed up to produce more sophisticated models, including Buicks and BMWs, that are familiar faces around the world. Geely’s trophy purchase of Volvo has given it a trusted name that is synonymous with safety.

Chinese cars do remain an unknown quantity to consumers, who were also once leery of the first cars imported from Japan — and later, from Mexico and South Korea.

Michael Harley, editor in chief of AutoWeb, said that top automakers had solved those puzzles of global manufacturing, and they understood the stakes in American showrooms.

“When Hyundai first brought Korean cars here, they didn’t realize the scrutiny Americans would put on them, and the poor quality almost destroyed the Hyundai brand,” Mr. Harley said. “Today, companies like Volvo and G.M. know they have to build a world-class product to present to American consumers, and there’s no getting around it.”

In November, Aaron Ezrilov became one of the first Americans to drive a Chinese-built car, though he didn’t realize it until a salesman told him while signing the Volvo S60 Inscription lease. Mr. Ezrilov, a longtime Volvo loyalist and a federal solutions director for Resolute Partners, felt the briefest flash of anxiety. But he has been closely going over the car ever since and fell in love on a fast canyon run to San Juan Capistrano from his home in Canyon Lake, Calif.

“The doors ‘thud’ when you close them, and I’m not finding any corners cut or cosmetic flaws at all,” Mr. Ezrilov said, adding that he was impressed enough to pick up a second Inscription for his mother.

Katarina Fjording, Volvo’s vice president for purchasing and manufacturing in the Americas, helped create Volvo’s Chinese factory in Chengdu.

“When I went to China, I had doubts about what it would be like, especially in a remote area,” she said. “But I’ve been proven wrong many times.”

The biggest cultural challenge, Ms. Fjording said, was to encourage Chinese workers to suggest improvements without fear of repercussions.

“It’s not natural to speak up like that, but now they’re very good at it. You see the joy, how they appreciate that you listen.”

Some Chengdu workers had automotive factory experience and were willing to move thousands of miles for a better job and life.

“It takes a long time to build a good reputation, and only a day to ruin it, so it wouldn’t make any sense for us to produce something that’s not good,” Ms. Fjording said.

For General Motors’ Buick brand, China is driving the best sales in its 112-year history, with America the outlier: Buick built and sold more than one million cars in China last year, compared with 223,000 here. So exporting the Envision, a Chinese award-winning sport utility vehicle, is a natural, considering America’s growing appetite for small crossovers, said Duncan Aldred, Buick’s vice president for sales.

“It’s the biggest sales segment, and we need to be in there,” he said.

Mr. Aldred said that, ultimately, American consumers were more interested in a product’s design and performance than where it’s assembled.

“It’s the same model used by iPhone,” Mr. Aldred said of the Chinese-built product. “Most people have one in their pocket and pay a premium for that device.”

Mr. Harley said that American consumers were buying a brand, not a country of manufacture.

“Germans are building cars in South Carolina, but no one says you’re driving a South Carolina BMW,” Mr. Harley said. “It’s still a German car, and as long as quality is equal or better, consumers aren’t going to care.”

Mr. Ezrilov agreed, saying that he wasn’t concerned about the Volvo’s provenance but about its performance and a back seat that could fit his six-foot-plus teenage son. “I believe in fair trade,” Mr. Ezrilov said.

Such globalization arguments haven’t swayed Cindy Estrada, vice president of the United Auto Workers. She said G.M. was welcome to build cars in China to serve the world’s largest car market. But Ms. Estrada, who led negotiations that resulted in a four-year G.M. labor deal last fall, minutes before a strike deadline, said the company was breaking its oft-stated pledge to “build where you sell.”

“If you’re looking to rebuild the company and invest in workers, you don’t go and bring in something from China,” Ms. Estrada said. “We have to hold them accountable to build vehicles here.”

Mr. Aldred replied that Buick continued to invest in American manufacturing, including an all-new LaCrosse sedan at Buick’s Detroit-Hamtramck plant. Buick headquarters, including its global design and engineering, will always remain in suburban Detroit, he said.

We’re a proudly American brand, the oldest in the U.S. industry, and also a great international success story,” he said.

As for Volvo, the next challenge for the globe-hopping Ms. Fjording takes her to South Carolina. She is coaxing Volvo’s first American factory into existence, scheduled to build a next-generation S60 by 2018.

One target is already affirmed: If the South Carolina plant can match the quality of its Chinese models, she said, the company would “absolutely” be satisfied.

Is it not widely regarded that Chinese manufacture relies on low skilled, low paid labor to produce those cars? What American will work for the wages paid to Chinese workers? Would you even get out of bed? Do Chinese manufacturers use technology to manufacture to the degree that we do? The two dozen aunts, uncles, other family, and friends that made their living in the shops have been displaced in a system that requires only six people.

Education is key. DeVos intends to dumb our kids down.

Edited by GregS

Heh, I didn't realize Volvo got bought out.  Heh.

But, I see it is more than just envision. The hybrid piece of crapola is there too.

The Buick Envision is a marketing test. GM will have three new platforms, two will be built here (they say right now) and one, the Envision, will be built in China. 

If no one says or does anything then their marketing test will give them a green light to go even further to get us to allow this kind of mass job transfer outside the US. 

The Envision is the first of the three to come out so if it does well maybe all three will be built in China.

GM is always pushing the rules and watching public opinion to see what the moves they bust do to their sales numbers.

Make excuses for them about the Envision being built in China will only get them to move further in the wrong direction.

We need a mouth piece like Trump to blast them. Tell it like it is. Make people not want to buy it at least. Even if all he says is BS he needs to say it about this situation. 

He was in the perfect position to do just that and all he did was eat pancakes. 

Like I said earlier in the thread, and in the title, this is a check to see if Trump is the real deal or not.

All he would have to have done was blurt out something stupid (like he is so good at) but get some details right, and we would have been off to the races in the press.

The union has been waiting for some back up on this. Poised to strike out to keep all three of the new GM lines here. But Trump had nothing. Just some syrup dripping off his chin. What a worthless meeting and an opportunity lost.

We need to point out these lost opportunities because they are real. Not some fakeness about some jobs returning, or not leaving, that isn't real, and just made up to make it like Trump is doing something.

Unfortunately Trump is a fraud and always has been. He'll do less than nothing for the majority of voters that were tricked into electing him.

Exactly what this one instance proves. It was a test failed.

I'm betting Trump has some GM stock. Wants to pick on Ford and doesn't even mention GM.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-12/in-michigan-donald-trump-takes-aim-at-ford-motor-co-