Rso ~

I just recently made a nice batch of RSO

PremiumRSO 20170208 020

60+ grams Premium RSO 20170208 010

Here is my story http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532/entry-841-my-experience-with-rick-simpson-oil-cannabis-oil-vs-cancer/My story is not over, I plan to continue. 

Do not underestimate the ND Sap method I mention in that blog. It carries far more medicinal properties. 

Edited by GrowGoddess

RSO equals Rick Simpson Oil.

I'm not Rick Simpson and I use a machine to make it that was made way before Rick made any oil (1979) so I'm not calling what I make RSO. Rick didn't invent alcohol extracted oil. He just introduced it to some folks that didn't already know about it.

I use alcohol to extract with so the oil I make is similar to what folks call RSO. I make a few different types that are made with slightly different methods to get an oil that fits the desired use. 

One kind is for eating and/or cooking with, another is for vaping.

I vape oil every night to help me sleep. It works great for that.

One patient of mine takes oil in a gel cap to help with anxiety issues he has had all his life. He was treating these issues with opiates until a few years ago. He's much more functional, healthy, and happy since he made the switch to oil.

One thing about oil is that stores well and lasts a very long time if stored correctly. It's stealthy for those times you need some relief but can't fit smoking or vaping into the situation you are in on any given day. Like a day with extended family that you just don't want to take a smoke/vape break. Taking a gel cap with the perfect dosage is a great thing for those days. The list of uses is endless.

Lately I have been seeing the term CCO being used just as commonly as RSO when referring to a heat decarbed concentrated cannabis oil. Possibly any concentrate actually. 

I would like to add that if I had never come across the video Run From the Cure on YouTube, I never would have tried to make it, nor would I have had the opportunity to witness healing with said oil. It was Rick Simpson, that convinced me to give it a try. You see, I was only 8 years old in 1979 and would not have known of those oil machines.

Anyway, I hope more people are willing to share their stories and feel comfortable calling it whatever they want, hash oil, CCO, RSO, BHO, cannabis oil, etc.  

Edited by GrowGoddess

Lately I have been seeing the term CCO being used just as commonly as RSO when referring to a heat decarbed concentrated cannabis oil. Possibly any concentrate actually. 

I would like to add that if I had never come across the video Run From the Cure on YouTube, I never would have tried to make it, nor would I have had the opportunity to witness healing with said oil. It was Rick Simpson, that convinced me to give it a try. You see, I was only 8 years old in 1979 and would not have known of those oil machines.

Anyway, I hope more people are willing to share their stories and feel comfortable calling it whatever they want, hash oil, CCO, RSO, BHO, cannabis oil, etc.  

Didn't Rick make that video after he bumped his head in 1997? 

I've been using marijuana as a medicine since the late 70's. Have a machine from 1979 that does what Rick did in the video.

See what I'm saying? I'm glad he inspired you. Rest assured we would still be here talking about hash oil without Rick Simpson. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not Rick Simpson and I use a machine to make it that was made way before Rick made any oil (1979) so I'm not calling what I make RSO. Rick didn't invent alcohol extracted oil. He just introduced it to some folks that didn't already know about it.

You may want to do an upgrade to the ISO 3 Quartermaster.  I believe they are $200 off right now, so that makes them around $250-$300 with tax and shipping. 

I must admit, it has aroused my curiosity, and not just for cannabis use. 

http://dgoldalchemy.com/

With them machines I do my exractions first then use them for removal of the solvent 

Me too. I also use the machine to refine alcohol to a reliable 100% alcohol for removal. I catch what the machine boils off so I know the resultant can be totally boiled off again, error proofing the process. It's great to have full confidence there's no left over solvent. You can make 100% pure cannabis oil with all the cannabinoids still in it.

Well, sounds great but it is not possible to produce 100% percent alcohol without the additional of other chemicals. The highest that can be reached is 95%. Too much water for me. Besides, just opening a bottle of 200 proof ethyl it becomes contaminated with water from the air. 

I have been looking into this quite extensively for a few years hoping to be able to cut costs and recover or simply make my own. Too many road blocks. 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-cant-you-make-liquor-thats-100-percent-pure-alcohol-1701953611Realizing this is a blog entry, there are credible sources sited. 

Well, sounds great but it is not possible to produce 100% percent alcohol without the additional of other chemicals. The highest that can be reached is 95%. Too much water for me. Besides, just opening a bottle of 200 proof ethyl it becomes contaminated with water from the air. 

I have been looking into this quite extensively for a few years hoping to be able to cut costs and recover or simply make my own. Too many road blocks. 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-cant-you-make-liquor-thats-100-percent-pure-alcohol-1701953611Realizing this is a blog entry, there are credible sources sited. 

You are right on that account, but you can produce an alcohol solvent, using the machine, that totally gets removed from the oil.

Think about it a little. If the machine boils it, and you catch the condensation in the cup, then what you caught in the cup will boil off when you repeat the process.  That's what you call 'error proofing' a process. No guesswork at all.

Keep in mind the process is enclosed and not subject to any outside air so the molecules are not bonding to much h2o while they are in the machine. 

I bet the recycled evaporate smells better and better over time, too, as it becomes more and more infused with terpenes!

I've thought that too but the alcohol never smells like terpenes no matter how many times you re use it. Makes me think the terpenes stayed in the oil, which does smell like terpenes.

One thing I learned in college chemistry is that substances resist the boiling point. It always takes a spike above their boiling point to get them to boil. I think that's why most all the terpenes stay in the oil with the gentle and gradual heating by the machine. They never boil off. 

Edited by Restorium2

Question; What is it that is negative about a very small amount of h2o in the oil? I'm not seeing it in any of the ways I use cannabis oil. I'm careful with the alcohol to keep other substances out of it and out of the oil. But water hasn't ever been a big concern for me other than it makes the alcohol molecules boil off at a slower rate because of the bonds. 

Question; What is it that is negative about a very small amount of h2o in the oil? I'm not seeing it in any of the ways I use cannabis oil. I'm careful with the alcohol to keep other substances out of it and out of the oil. But water hasn't ever been a big concern for me other than it makes the alcohol molecules boil off at a slower rate because of the bonds. 

Potentially two problems can occur. I have heard of one of the problems, I have not experience this myself, but the growth of mold due to the content of water remaining. 

The problem I have encountered is when making oil without heat (QWISO and QWET), the alcohol evaporates faster than the water and leaves a milky substance. I have tried it with all of my strains and the outcome is disappointing.I have been doing these experiments for many years now with same strains and the same results when using an alcohol below 99%. Not to sound contradicting of the 95% factor due to the water in our air.   Kind of bums me out actually because I would rather use a grain alcohol than iso. Since I would have to drive quite a distance to obtain the grain alcohol of choice due to Michigan laws, I have to stick to using 99% iso for my extractions with or without heat. 

With the machine, or when using heat, there is probably no issue, when done correctly. But any heat above 110F destroys many essential terpenes. Whether they are evaporated, oxidized, or simply destroyed by the heat. 

So, what works for one, may not work for another, and I'm ok with that. 

This doesn't make sense to me given the azeotrope situation that I described above. The point of the azeotrope is that it evaporates evenly, because the boiling point is lower than either substance alone. Essentially, as long as you use the azeotrope alcohols (91% iso, 96% ethyl) you will leave nothing behind in the oil.

Also, I do not really know the process for 99% iso, which I've noticed is no longer commonly available. It must be some type of chemical drying process, perhaps with zeolite. Anyone else know how they make 99% iso?

Here is a small example. The more alcohol evaporates, the worse the water collection becomes. That is with around 30% RH in my home. I don't get it either. Then again, it is simple. Alcohol evaporates faster than water. This image is from an experiment I did to see the difference between 200 proof ethyl and 192 proof polish vodka. 

foamy water line On 192 proof On right 3 24 15 035

Here is a good example from someone who was using 190 proof everclear. I had the exact same problems when using anything less than 99% alcohol no matter what time of year. I would have to pour the water off and losing many essential terpenes in the process, especially the floating terpenes. 

This is not using reclaimed alcohol, which is what I believe your information is regarding, is that correct? 

You may want to do an upgrade to the ISO 3 Quartermaster. I believe they are $200 off right now, so that makes them around $250-$300 with tax and shipping.

I must admit, it has aroused my curiosity, and not just for cannabis use.

http://dgoldalchemy.com/

Thanks gg

Excellent reference...I just sent an email.

I've been looking into one of these type of systems and this one looks and sounds perfect.

I am anxious to give it a try...I'll post information once I hear back from them...

Thanks gg

Excellent reference...I just sent an email.

I've been looking into one of these type of systems and this one looks and sounds perfect.

I am anxious to give it a try...I'll post information once I hear back from them...

I have not read this, but it may be of interest to you. https://skunkpharmresearch.com/iso-3-by-d-gold/

I did catch that they were using it for winterizing BHO or something. 

That is a good indicator, I'd agree. Anyway, it would only be certain very low boiling point terpenes which could end up in there anyway, since the azeotrope boiling point of ethyl is 183 F (78.1 C) and iso is 190 F (87.7 C).

Are these iso machines a fixed or variable temp? If variable, how is it determined by the user?

They have a rheostat style adjustment knob, high works the best. It uses a 75 watt light bulb for a heat source. I bet the new ones are different.

Potentially two problems can occur. I have heard of one of the problems, I have not experience this myself, but the growth of mold due to the content of water remaining. 

The problem I have encountered is when making oil without heat (QWISO and QWET), the alcohol evaporates faster than the water and leaves a milky substance. I have tried it with all of my strains and the outcome is disappointing.I have been doing these experiments for many years now with same strains and the same results when using an alcohol below 99%. Not to sound contradicting of the 95% factor due to the water in our air.   Kind of bums me out actually because I would rather use a grain alcohol than iso. Since I would have to drive quite a distance to obtain the grain alcohol of choice due to Michigan laws, I have to stick to using 99% iso for my extractions with or without heat. 

With the machine, or when using heat, there is probably no issue, when done correctly. But any heat above 110F destroys many essential terpenes. Whether they are evaporated, oxidized, or simply destroyed by the heat. 

So, what works for one, may not work for another, and I'm ok with that. 

Never milky. Not once. Never any mold.

Can you imagine the water content in Rick Simpson's outdoor fiasco using your logic? Think about that. You watched the video.

Never milky. Not once. Never any mold.

Can you imagine the water content in Rick Simpson's outdoor fiasco using your logic? Think about that. You watched the video.

I think you missed something, the Rick Simpson method is using heat...... I am referring to no heat when the water problems are most prevalent. 

Edit: for the record, I have never tried using the RS method (rice cooker) with grain alcohol. I have heard of other people doing it with success. I assume that the rice cooker produces enough heat and enough boiling to eliminate the water and would also assume the iso machines will be the same. 

Minimal heat, such as that of a coffee mug warmer, does not evaporate the water before damaging the oil, when the initial extraction evaporation was conducted with no heat. 

Edited by GrowGoddess