New Medical Marijuana Laws Set Industry 'on Steroids'

bobandtorey

Iron labs only tests for a few things and is incapable of fully identifying. Just because they don't identify all cannabinoids; about 108 less than there are, doesn't mean there is not plenty of other cannabinoids. I think you misunderstand how the percentages work and what they are actually telling you.

I think you are misunderstanding terpenes and flavonoids in comparison as well.

I think the most popular strains are the highest terpene strains, as long as they have sufficient, around 15% or so, THC.

I'd also say that high-THC strains were passed around by patients before the medical law passed, so to say that the current strains are simply the result of black-market dynamics or "recreational" use is, I think, ignoring the obvious. Patients have been using marijuana for medical purposes forever, without regard to the law.

The current strains are a result of 8 + years of legality.  And they've also been using hemp and CBD rich strains.  But ya before tehre were farm mkts dispensaries and compassion clubs there were fewer producers.  What we see today IS teh "legal" mkt or a result of it. 

Edited by ANHEMP

Iron labs only tests for a few things and is incapable of fully identifying. Just because they don't identify all cannabinoids; about 108 less than there are, doesn't mean there is not plenty of other cannabinoids. I think you misunderstand how the percentages work and what they are actually telling you.

I think you are misunderstanding terpenes and flavonoids in comparison as well.

Funny I'd say the same of you.  So you don't think that 30+% THC by weight leaves less room for other cannabinoids, etc. esp if some have been bred out because tehy mute some of THCs effects?  Hmmmmmm.  Maybe we should both go back and do some more research eh?  It's really just simple math Mal.

Edited by ANHEMP

I am  seeing a purposeful argument from someone hiding behind a new name on the forum.  To know my points you would have had to be on the site for longer than your name. So I assume you were either banned at some point and remade a new name, or simply made this new name to be argumentative.

Not sure which.

Anyone can come to this site and study it for a few days and see the outline.  Basically you, Zap and Resto defend the "site" from outsiders views.  Eventually some of the site members call you on it and they get banned or run off.  Not too much to figure out.

And yes, I have been on this site longer than my name.  I've not usually spoken up because this is exactly what it leads to.  i knew this would happen.  Call out resto and Mal and Zap jump in sooner or later and then you either run the person off or ban them.  You each take an angle and get  them into 3 arguments at once and try and run them down.  And when that doesn't work ban them.

It's like the middle east when a westerner invades.  You set aside any differences and don't correct each other just for this thread to gang up on the opposers.  It happens over and over, you just have to follow for a little while to see it. 

Well, it IS simple math, but a more complicated interpretation. Your simplification in many ways is naïve and draws you to improper conclusions.

attachicon.gifjumping-smiley-027.gif

Funny, I was going to say the same of you.  Just look at the N/d of the terpenes and cannabinoids they DO test for and how many CBD rich strains have THCV(which, if I remember correctly detracts the munchies and mellows the "high"), CBDV and of course CBD, which a lot of hi THC strains are lacking.  but not one hi CBD strain is lacking THC.  That's the most obvious sign right there without even looking at the other 108.  those 2-3 of 5-6 right there tell a whole lot.  Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

Very few of the "high-THC" strains have 30+% THC. I'd say that is very uncommon, actually. 15-20 % is more common, with plenty of room left over for terpenes. As I posted above, I think this level of THC, with lots of terpenes and other cannabinoids, is what most people think of as a "medical marijuana" strain.

What is a cannabinoid/terpene profile of a popular "high-CBD" strain? How does it compare on total cannabinoid/terpene content to something like OG Kush?

Unless your trying to fight brain cancer.  Then you want as much THC as you can get past the blood brain barrier.  Medical is different for everyone.  Not what I'm talking about but feel free to reframe the argument any chance you get.

You know that you too can look at Iron Labs and PSI sites too and browse the terpene and cannabinoid profiles of anything on there including CBD rich and dominant and hi CBD strains, right?  Well have at it.  And pay attention to the # of strains with THCV, CBDV and CBD(remember thats a cannabinoid too and it's lacking in many hi THC strains, don't want to leave that stat out or the conclusion may be different).

Some strains aren't as resinous as others and couldn't hold more than 20% terpenes/cannabinoids/flavenoids in them either, so no they may have no more room for other cannabinoids/terpenes and flavenoids than a 30% strain.  Thing is that both were breeding for the effects of THC, not THCV, not CBD, not CBDV and not for different terpenes, unless they AMPLIFIED the effects of THC.  They were being selectively bred.  And it wasn't for the most diversity.  It was for the effect of THC.  Now things have changed as medical has become legal.  Although dispenses still use that gauge of THC percentage, what does that tell you?  people are still being tricked by marketing.  But if you talk to the local shops when you get your hi CBD/CBDrich, etc. stuff tested they are amazed at how quick teh CBD stuff flies off the shelves.  They told me" some people even say they get high from it"   and i told him that relief of anxiety IS a high for some people.  It makes them feel different than their normal state.  Then he hinted he'd take any hi CBD stuff I had extra.  I was not in the least bit interested though.  I make oils and hash for future use.  I don't ever want to run out of my CBD rich meds, ever.

Edited by ANHEMP

Again, non science people interpreting scientific results.

I think you are looking at percentages as absolutes on weight ratios. That would be faulty thinking. Trees through forest situation. You read the bumper sticker and walk past the body of the issue.

Anyone can come to this site and study it for a few days and see the outline.  Basically you, Zap and Resto defend the "site" from outsiders views.  Eventually some of the site members call you on it and they get banned or run off.  Not too much to figure out.

And yes, I have been on this site longer than my name.  I've not usually spoken up because this is exactly what it leads to.  i knew this would happen.  Call out resto and Mal and Zap jump in sooner or later and then you either run the person off or ban them.  You each take an angle and get  them into 3 arguments at once and try and run them down.  And when that doesn't work ban them.

It's like the middle east when a westerner invades.  You set aside any differences and don't correct each other just for this thread to gang up on the opposers.  It happens over and over, you just have to follow for a little while to see it. 

Naw anhemp,... I think you have shown you are here to simply be argumentative over a past issue you must have had as a previous member of the site.  Being disagreeable just to be disagreeable.

As I said previously, you came back under a new name to find conflict.  That's fine. I don't rally care.  But at least admit you just wanted to argue with Resto. Poking and prodding.

It is blaringly obvious.

And, I don't defend the site from "outside views",... I support the truth.

Very few of the "high-THC" strains have 30+% THC. I'd say that is very uncommon, actually. 15-20 % is more common, with plenty of room left over for terpenes. As I posted above, I think this level of THC, with lots of terpenes and other cannabinoids, is what most people think of as a "medical marijuana" strain.

What is a cannabinoid/terpene profile of a popular "high-CBD" strain? How does it compare on total cannabinoid/terpene content to something like OG Kush?

This profile from leafy seems on the level with patient testing. I have the SFV version. The only thing I can find an 'error' on is someone commented on a chocolate essence and I just asked a few patients and none of them find that with the SFV OG Kush. 

https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/og-kush

So we know we can adjust ratios with heat.

Can we also do that with harvest time? Yes, we can. How do we know? Because the effects are different, just like with heating.

Now I discovered another way to alter effects; Temperature in the grow room. Yup, it matters. Temperature of your root zone also matters. 

So we have growing techniques and heat varying cannabinoids substantially. These methods just require patience and note taking so you can repeat your successes and limit your failures. These are the important details that make a caregiver/grower/provider great. 

Another complication with harvest time is the overall health of the plant. A plant at it's best, growing perfectly, will take longer to get to the flowering point than a plant that is weak and/or suffering. So a flower time estimate is a shot in the dark without a baseline of plant health and growing conditions. The whole cannabinoid profile depends on when you harvest. All these variables factor in. So growing a specific cannabinoid profile is very complicated. 

Have any of you who have been doing extractions for a long time found similarities/differences between oil extracted from buds vs. leaves?  I would assume leaf extractions would have more wax, but are the cannabinoid profiles similar?

Very similar if not exact. Not from lab testing, from patient testing (of course).

So we know we can adjust ratios with heat.

Can we also do that with harvest time? Yes, we can. How do we know? Because the effects are different, just like with heating.

Now I discovered another way to alter effects; Temperature in the grow room. Yup, it matters. Temperature of your root zone also matters. 

So we have growing techniques and heat varying cannabinoids substantially. These methods just require patience and note taking so you can repeat your successes and limit your failures. These are the important details that make a caregiver/grower/provider great. 

Or you could use a lab.  You aren't going to know how cancers respond without knowing what's in it.  You may feel good from a number of types but without medical and profile of the meds testing you're hoping and shooting in the dark.

You discovered?  More like you found the info, I think people discovered these things a long time ago. :)

Again, non science people interpreting scientific results.

I think you are looking at percentages as absolutes on weight ratios. That would be faulty thinking. Trees through forest situation. You read the bumper sticker and walk past the body of the issue.

Naw anhemp,... I think you have shown you are here to simply be argumentative over a past issue you must have had as a previous member of the site.  Being disagreeable just to be disagreeable.

As I said previously, you came back under a new name to find conflict.  That's fine. I don't rally care.  But at least admit you just wanted to argue with Resto. Poking and prodding.

It is blaringly obvious.

And, I don't defend the site from "outside views",... I support the truth.

If the percentages aren't absolutes on weight ratio then what are they.  Volume ratios?  Why wouldn't they be since removing moisture increases percentages?  Do you have an alternate explanation?  Because you should spell it out unless you're just trying to sound smart.

I didn't want to argue with anyone but when people on a medical MJ site start spreading rumors that CBD gives you a headache and dispensaries are Brainwashing patients into thinking CBD is a medicine, I sometimes get up on the wrong side of the bed and speak up against BS being spread on the internet.  Frankly I don't give a shiit what you think and I never intended on wasting my time arguing with you people on this site.  I've seen the outcome and generally don't get into ego fights with people like you.  You telegraph it with these extra questions like "did you ever look into what CBN degrades to"?  Nothing but a measuring contest with you to see who "knows more" instead of what's being discussed and what's right, not who's right.

What's Glaringly obvious is that it's pretty frikin stupid to burn off 500-600mg THC from an oil to get 5-10mg  CBD from a full gram of medicine.  I told you that you'd end up rearranging my stance to see things in the way you predicted anyway.  And personally I don't care what any of you think.  I care about the information being presented.

So your stance is that hi CBD cuts are bunk and people should buy hi THC cuts and waste oil to get their CBD.  Cause that's what you're saying when you think "I'm here just to argue with resto".  You are accusing me of not caring about the truth and coming in here to waste my time arguing with someone who seems to want to do it for fun and doesn't really care whether his views are wasteful and misleading.  You and Zap jumped in to argue with me, so should I assume the same of you guys?  You don't care about the truth just sticking up for resto or arguing for the fun of it?  Cause you guys do it often and over a long period of time.

Very similar if not exact. Not from lab testing, from patient testing (of course).

This is what SkunkPharm had to say:

Choosing material:

Oil from buds is tastier than oil from even sugar trim, because most of the terpenes are produced by the buds, and that is where they are the most plentiful.  Tasty is usually not a word used to describe oil from fan leaves or stems, though effective may be.

The material that we used in this experiment, was donated sweet trim from Chocolate and was well dried and cured.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/extracting-with-oils-and-fats/

Percentages do not determine raw amounts by weight of cannabis.  This is why a 15% thc plant can be more potent than a 25% thc plant.

I didn't jump in to argue with you at all. 

There are many paths to nirvana.

Ya, if there is 25% water weight in one and 0% in another.  Care to explain better how off the water weight has to be for that to be true?  Essentially if the plants are similar water weight they are a good measure for comparison.  And if the decarb is close to equal, but that's really splitting hairs. Nothing but a measuring contest.  i didn't see you make a good post explaining raw amounts and how they are measured.

So you jumped in to coach me on?  You came in to back up resto?  Just to nit pick something I said that wasn't phrased perfectly?  Why did you comment then?

Thanks for answering all those questions and giving a nice explanation though. :)

Edited by ANHEMP

Have any of you who have been doing extractions for a long time found similarities/differences between oil extracted from buds vs. leaves?  I would assume leaf extractions would have more wax, but are the cannabinoid profiles similar?

My testing is specifically with patients using oil in gel capsules. In that specific application we all found the effects very similar between buds vs. leaves. 

And, here comes the purposeful argumentative again.

I think you are mistaking my posts for someone elses.

Has nothing to do with water weight.  Percentages aren't measuring total amounts.  They are ratios.

You do understand that a 15% thc plant can have more thc than a 25% thc plant right?

And, here comes the purposeful argumentative again.

I think you are mistaking my posts for someone elses.

Has nothing to do with water weight.  Percentages aren't measuring total amounts.  They are ratios.

You do understand that a 15% thc plant can have more thc than a 25% thc plant right?

Of course if one plant produces an ounce and another produces a pound the percentages really don't matter.  What we've been talking about all this time is comparing equal weights of flowers or oil. Testing of percent CBD or THC or both, not yield.  If you are trying to now introduce yield to show you are "right" well then you should explain and teach.  unless you are just measuring your "smarts" against other people.  Something I'm not really interested in.

In that sense an ounce of 15% isn't going to produce more THC than an ounce of 25% unless the water weight is extremely different.

Again would you care to explain and teach or whip it out and measure?

And if we look back, you started it.  i never asked you to chime in, you decided to "correct" me.  Just like I did resto.

And the reason I'm argumentative is because i have 3 people jumping down my throat trying to make me look bad for correcting one person.

Edited by ANHEMP

Your still missing it,... I am talking equal comparison. Equal weights. A 15% THC plant can have more thc than a 25% thc plant.

I am not arguing your points, I am pointing out what I see as flawed interpretation and I am trying to help you see through the trees and what those tests actually mean.