Michiganders Willing To Pass -- And Puff -- Marijuana Legalization

Any DO or MD can recommend marijuana in this state.

there are only 1400 physicians in michigan who do the certifications of patients. out of a possible 44000 physicians.

https://audgen.michigan.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/r641043516-0102.pdf

for the applications submitted during fiscal year 2015, 1419 physicians certified that they had a bona fide physiican-patient relationship with 84.120 applicants.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/BHCS_MMMP_MCL_333.26426_2013_441881_7.pdf

For Fiscal Year 2013, there were a total of 133,890 applications filed for medical

marihuana registry identification cards.

During Fiscal Year 2013, there were a total of 1,457 physicians who provided written

certifications for qualifying medical marihuana patients.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/BHCS_MMMP_MCL_333.26426i12345_11-12-14_480805_7.pdf

For Fiscal Year 2014, there were a total of 116,981 applications filed for medical

marihuana registry identification cards.

During Fiscal Year 2014, there were a total of 1,491 physicians who provided written

certifications for qualifying medical marihuana patients.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/healthcareworkforcecenter/Survey_of_Physicians_Final_Report_2012_418612_7.pdf

As of January 2012, the total number of physicians licensed in Michigan was 44,717. Of these,

32,489 are fully licensed doctors of allopathic medicine (MD) and 6,954 are fully licensed

doctors of osteopathic medicine (DO).

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/healthcareworkforcecenter/Physician_Profile_MHC_FINAL__FEB09_267821_7.pdf

Total number of licensed physicians 42,305

Number of active, licensed physicians providing patient care 29,302

As of January 2008, a total of 42,305 physicians were licensed in Michigan. Of these,

31,695 are doctors of allopathic medicine (MD) and 6,550 are doctors of osteopathic

medicine (DO).

it isnt a failure of the MMJ community...

its a failure of the mmj community to educate doctors. just my opinion.

Just to be clear, I think you guys are now saying that the concept of legalization will be more powerful than the actual words on the page. For future reference. Who knows, we've never done it here before.

I personally thought the concept of medical marijuana would be enough to destroy marijuana's schedule 1 (no medical use, addictive) status...silly me.

Nothing in this bill helps the issue you describe here.

I didn't reference it to that.  I referenced it to your comment on the seeming ease of anyone to find a patient and become a caregiver with no patient status and never having grown a pot plant before. 

Although it ctually would becausse if they were over 21 they would at least have product that they could show a patient and product to give them without having to wait 4 months becuase tehy'd be able to grow it themselves before becoming a CG.

One way or another, people are getting signed up. How is the program so successful when it is such a failure?

Again, I hope MMMA issues are not the main sell for this new thing. It is not that convincing, so far.

you're the one who brought the MMMA issues into this thread.

the 18000 possession arrests have not much to do with the MMMA patient and caregiver arrests.

they are separate things. separate groups of people.

The benefit for everyone would be not hearing some punk cop saying to you in the back seat of a cruiser that the people spoke and you are going to jail. You know they would take a failed initiative as a mandate to arrest and ask questions later. That's what it's all about. Juries will either have it in the back of their collective minds that the people of Michigan wanted legal marijuana or they didn't. It's either a thumbs up or a thumbs down. In the world of tweets that is what we are reduced to. 

Example:  Ol Bob Redden there could have gotten a simple civil fine instead of a felony charge.  Anyone patient growing under 24 plants would have fines instead of felony charges.  How many people have gotten in trouble for having just a little too much?. Any patient can now have up to 5 oz and it would only be a civil fine under legalization. 

Not new rights,... but progressive penalties at least.

I think people are blind to how legalization will protect pt/cg/physicians.  Not only from certain penalties, not only from herd protection, but some protection from commercial medical marijuana operators who are so greedy they want to go after CG rights.  When they market increases by 95% after legalization, they will not care so much about CG's anymore.

But what do I know....

:-)

How many people have gotten in trouble for having just a little too much? I think the ones that did where reading the Law as it was its really all in black and white

They just didn't want to run out of their medicine

As far as this  guy named Bob Redden he was under plant count 

Thanks to the MMMA for being there helping or he wouldn't be here today 

you do realize that people have to have a QUALIFYING CONDITION and not just everybody can run down and create doctor records and get certified for the MEDICAL USE of cannabis....

what about all the people who don't qualify to just run down and grab a card for protection?

Anybody can get a caregiver card. You just have to be willing to help a patient.

zap, you made this argument before.

a caregiver card does not protect for internal possession aka use of medical marijuana.

a caregiver card does not protect for driving with >0 ng thc in blood.

maybe you misunderstood the question? or you are advocating that people get caregiver cards and hope it protects them from stuff it blatenly does not?

which is a bad position from someone who tries to keep people out of trouble with the law on a website dedicated to patients and caregivers.

You mentioned 18000 possession arrests. 

Caregivers can possess. If someone wants some legal ground to possess cannabis then a caregiver card would help with that. 

Granted it would only work if you were very careful. You would have to possess in the context of "It's for my registered patient". 

Give you some legal ground to stand on. Not like everyone doesn't already know this. It keeps some folks out of trouble. 

people get the possession arrests because they are using. e.g. caught with papers / pipes and smoking.

but ok, sure. some would be protected for carrying pipes and pot, if they had a caregiver card. i think you'd run into time and place problems though, no doubt.

people get the possession arrests because they are using. e.g. caught with papers / pipes and smoking. but ok, sure. some would be protected for carrying pipes and pot, if they had a caregiver card. i think you'd run into time and place problems though, no doubt.

Right. No matter what, you can't be stupid about it. People get way ....... out............................ there. Need to reel that in a little. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, kev said:

I would bet anything that a vast majority of the 36% that oppose legalization are either uninformed or illinformed ! 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, Restorium2 said:

Or uniformed!

So it will put people out of work? LEO, judges, attorneys and prison guards? What are they supposed to do, work at Burger King? : )