Anyone in Oakland County?

Sour D

Hey Peeps, I just built my first grow room based on my reads, nothing big or too fancy. I don't have a basement in my house so I turned a upstairs bedroom into my grow room. I know it's just way to hot in my room, I've already lost my first set of seedlings after they germinated.....just curious if any of you were local and experienced might be interested in checking out my room and give me your opinions on my setup.....if not, I understand, would be nice to find someone local that I could turn to....thank you!

What are you using as far as lights and fans?

If you have the lights too close to your seedlings it will dry them out and kill them  I use cool running t-8 fluorescent bulb fixtures from home depot once they get  8-10 inches tall I start raising the fixture then once they bush out a little they then go under the T-5  bulbs  to prep them for the flower room .

40 minutes ago, Kingdiamond said:

What are you using as far as lights and fans?

If you have the lights too close to your seedlings it will dry them out and kill them  I use cool running t-8 fluorescent bulb fixtures from home depot once they get  8-10 inches tall I start raising the fixture then once they bush out a little they then go under the T-5  bulbs  to prep them for the flower room .

KD,

After germination, I placed them under a bad boy T5 light, I didn't turn it on so it was full spectrum, I had the light about 2' above the seedlings......I also install an exhaust fan with filter and I have it vented through the wall venting outside.

I was going to purchase a stand alone a/c unit to help cool down the room a turn my inlet fan on to introduce the cooler air into the grow room......I forgot to mention that my grow room is a rm in a room if that makes sense.....I can take pics to post so you can see.

also do you have your hard card? and are a valid patient/caregiver ?
sorry its a weird place right now, gotta ask.

seeds germinate well in 80F , also the plants grow well at 75-85F , even higher temps are ok depending on watering.

seedlings dying could be dampening off (aka fungus or rot) from the soil or water.
what soil are you using? what water?

to cool off the room you should put up some white color blinds to keep the sun out. sunlight = warmer. i notice some sun from your picture.

to answer your question, yea, its possible to ask someone to come take a look. komornlaw (in farm hills) and the birmingham compassion club both have such services i think. also theres a guy to check if your grow room meets the secure definition as well.

or even me maybe. if you arent a weirdo or crazy person. haha!
and if you arent too far away. i'm not driving to fenton.

4 hours ago, fishhead said:

where's the fresh air intake? are you in soil or hydro? is there a temp sensor and humidity sensor, if so what are they?

Fish, the fresh air intake is at the floor in the first photo, I'll be in soil, using promix. I do have a sensor, temp floats around 84 degrees ambient temper without light heat factored in and the humidity is around 54 also ambient temp.

13 minutes ago, bax said:

seeds germinate well in 80F , also the plants grow well at 75-85F , even higher temps are ok depending on watering.

seedlings dying could be dampening off (aka fungus or rot) from the soil or water.

to cool off the room you should put up some white color blinds to keep the sun out. sunlight = warmer. i notice some sun from your picture.

to answer your question, yea, its possible to ask someone to come take a look. komornlaw (in farm hills) and the birmingham compassion club both have such services i think. also theres a guy to check if your grow room meets the secure definition as well.

13 minutes ago, bax said:

Bax, yes I have my card....I want to do everything by the book for myself, I'm not at caregiver for anyone but myself. I use Promix for my soil.....I use Sensi Grow A&B 4ml per gal with 1/4tsp of super thrive. Your also correct about the sunlight, it can be intense, I was gonna cover the window, just did get to it.....got excited and jumped the gun.....lol.....lesson learned.

btw......I'm very sane, but the wife would debate that.

i'm not too far at all, 3 miles away.

promix people either love or hate. sometimes its too "hot" with nutrients for seedlings, or the peat moss is too acidic.
sometimes people overwater the seedlings.
sometimes the bags come with pests.
got a ph meter ? run some water through the promix and measure the runoff.
what kind of water are you using ?

depending on how old your seedlings were you dont need to feed them until a couple of weeks have passed. e.g. a foot tall.

6 hours ago, bax said:

i'm not too far at all, 3 miles away.

promix people either love or hate. sometimes its too "hot" with nutrients for seedlings, or the peat moss is too acidic.
sometimes people overwater the seedlings.
sometimes the bags come with pests.
got a ph meter ? run some water through the promix and measure the runoff.
what kind of water are you using ?

depending on how old your seedlings were you dont need to feed them until a couple of weeks have passed. e.g. a foot tall.

Well, if you up to the challenge I have no problem having you over to look.

I never got them into the promix, I had the seedlings in a rock wool cube, I think? and when ready I was going to transfer to promix.....next time around I think I might just put them in solo cups and promix.

I use distilled water at room temperature, I do have a ph meter, cheap one but I have one......water ph was at 5.6, when I was watering the cube I did as needed and tried to keep the cubes damp but not drenched.

This always works for me:

Put seeds into a folded paper towel that has been soaked with a mixture of 1-2 ml of hydrogen peroxide in 1 oz of water. Put the soaking seeds under a light proof cover. Check them daily. When a root emerges to about 1/4 inch, transfer the seeds to a cup with Promix. The Promix in the cup has to be pH 6-7. I always have to run high pH water through the Promix in the cup in order to get the pH within range. After I have the pH correct, I then run a mixture of 1 teaspoon Clonex mixed in 1 quart of water through the soil. Then I put the seeds into a small seed size hole in the Promix. I don't cover the seeds with soil, but I do place them root down about a sixteenth of an inch below the surface. I then put the cups in a humidity dome under a 400 watt (80 watt consumption) CFL bulb with the bulb about 1 foot from the top of the dome. After a week I take them out of the dome and just mist them a couple of times a day. I don't give them nutes until they have a set of true leaves. That is usually the third set they produce. Once they are looking like hardy little plants they can be treated as such - put under t-5 bulbs and fed regularly. Go easy on the light intensity until they are 3-4 weeks old then pour it on. They are ready to go into their permanent full size pots after about 4-5 weeks. I do the same procedure when transferring to full size pots. Flush the soil until the pH is correct (ideally 6.8) and then add nutrified water. I use organic nutes and mycorhizea to make a living soil. I have found that after the initial pH correction Promix BX maintains a pH of 7 throughout the rest of the cycle. I think it is because I add two cups of garden lime to a bale of Promix and it takes a minute for the lime to dissolve into the mixture. I use Botanicare organic nutes. I also measure the pH of the soil by catching the runoff from the bottom of the pot. I test this water with pH indicator solution (General hydroponics) which I think is more accurate than test meters. Go easy on the nutes. It is easy to over do it . The recommended amounts on the package are usually accurate rates, but you have to adjust the amounts based on the color of the plant. It is easy to see the effects of too much or too little food. Soil pH is crucial to having a healthy plant.

Edited by AmishRnot4ganja

cool, I just didn't see it. you can get light blocking out curtin's (liners really, but their white who could tell) at bed bath and beyond 20% coupon.

I just soak the  for 24 hrs, i use a shot glass.  if they sink i put them between damp paper towels, folded and covered. mist when needed. once i see a 1/4 root, i drop them 1/4 down into damp soil, root facing down,  in a little plastic pot , cover them with soil, and in a few days i see sprouts, i use T5's for veg and seedlings no problems, led's in bloom helps keep the heat down, am upstairs also.  If the seed is good and sinks on soak should germ and grow.  I use tap water to lightly water around the seedling as to not drown it or push it further down or on an angle if needed. I damped the soil in the pot first before planting the grem. seed. cuts down on possible drowning.

Not sure if am helping but I grow upstairs use T5's and in oakland county, all is well.

Cheers

3 hours ago, fishhead said:

cool, I just didn't see it. you can get light blocking out curtin's (liners really, but their white who could tell) at bed bath and beyond 20% coupon.

I just soak the  for 24 hrs, i use a shot glass.  if they sink i put them between damp paper towels, folded and covered. mist when needed. once i see a 1/4 root, i drop them 1/4 down into damp soil, root facing down,  in a little plastic pot , cover them with soil, and in a few days i see sprouts, i use T5's for veg and seedlings no problems, led's in bloom helps keep the heat down, am upstairs also.  If the seed is good and sinks on soak should germ and grow.  I use tap water to lightly water around the seedling as to not drown it or push it further down or on an angle if needed. I damped the soil in the pot first before planting the grem. seed. cuts down on possible drowning.

Not sure if am helping but I grow upstairs use T5's and in oakland county, all is well.

Cheers

Fishhead,

of course your advise helps, I'm appreciate everyone's input....between you and Bax, I think you guys are probably closet to me.....I was gonna p/m you guys my number, especially with you growing upstairs as well .....feel free to hmu, if I don't answer at first it because I screen numbers not in my contacts......lol.....but after that I would pick right up......peace, and thank you for your help.