Vape Kits vs. Vape Pen?

Hi, I'm rather new to vaping and a co-worker of mine was telling me I need to start with a vape kit instead of just a vape pen. I'm trying to start out kind of cheap just to make sure I like it but he still said I need a kit. So, I'm on this site looking through cheap vape pens and was wondering if these boxed models count as vape kits? I'm assuming a vape kit just has the battery, charger, atomizer, etc. included - right? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm trying to order today and my co-worker's out sick. Thanks!

Let's take a step back.

What do you intend on vaping? Bud, wax, or glycerin cartridges?  Each medium has a different kind of vape mechanism.

I have vaped bud with a Pax and have enjoyed it. I've tried vaping wax (also called shatter or BHO) with various types of vape pens, but that really irritated by lungs. I have never tried the glycerin cartridges.

I would recommend trying out someone else's equipment  before purchasing your own.

I heard good things about the Pax2 model. I was actually looking to vape wax and oils because I heard the portable vapes can't really vaporize bud correctly (unlike desktop vaporizers). Do you know of any portable vapes that can thoroughly vaporize herb without combustion? If so, I might be interested in something like that. 

2 hours ago, CloverCreep said:

I heard good things about the Pax2 model. I was actually looking to vape wax and oils because I heard the portable vapes can't really vaporize bud correctly (unlike desktop vaporizers). Do you know of any portable vapes that can thoroughly vaporize herb without combustion? If so, I might be interested in something like that. 

I got a Flowermate V5.0 Pro. Use it for Bud all the time. You set the temp and the dry flower will not burn. I've also vaped oil and wax outta it, use the  consentrate pods Paid $99.95 for it. 

On 8/30/2017 at 1:17 PM, Pain said:

I got a Flowermate V5.0 Pro. Use it for Bud all the time. You set the temp and the dry flower will not burn. I've also vaped oil and wax outta it, use the  consentrate pods Paid $99.95 for it. 

They all claim no combustion of dry herb. I've vaped mine until it turned a dark brown. But it tasted awful. You just have to experiment with what temp works for you. Even wax and oil, you have to find the temp that works for you.

Edited by Pain

I really liked the Pax for vaping herb. The equivalent of a bowl-full would deliver more hits over a longer period of time than just smoking the same amount. The taste is really good, and I believe more of the terpenes are available to taste/smell than from burning.

I heard that the Pax2 made many improvements, so I'd check that out.

You need to thoroughly clean the apparatus after about 15-20 sessions with pipe cleaners and isopropyl alcohol. The stickiness will just clog things up.

The finished vapid product smells kinda nasty. Some people reconstitute it into edibles, but I usually just pitch it.

My true preference is to burn a joint. But the vape is perfect for times of discretion, like in a hotel room or on the road or at a relatives house. I've asked a friend to tell me what the smell was like when I exhale from the vape, and he replied "toasted Quiznos sandwich".

• 5 months later...

A cheap vaporizer is a waste of money. Go to youtube and research the different models. But a $300 vaporizer for $100 should make you wonder if it's real or not. I had a few cheap ones until I figured it all out. Go cheap and it's a waste of money. Buy a decent/good one with video reviews on youtube and you will be amazed how good they work. They can make someone use less product but I use more. And the reason is that it's so good. A totally different experience than smoking flower. Like eating cannabutter. The effects last longer, aren't quite as intense and has a nice relaxing feeling.