Koshmider headed to prison on marijuana conviction

bobandtorey

CADILLAC — The 52-year-old Cadillac man convicted of illegally selling medical marijuana last month learned his punishment Monday.

Donald Joseph Koshmider II was sentenced to between 13 months and 15 years in prison with three days credited after a jury of his peers determined last month he was guilty of two counts of aiding and abetting delivery of marijuana; two counts of maintaining a drug house; delivery or manufacture of marijuana; and possession of marijuana with intent to deliver. He also was sentenced Monday to three days in jail with three days credited for a conviction to one count of possession of marijuana, second or subsequent offense. A habitual offender fourth offense notice added to the charges meant Koshmider faced up to 15 years in prison.

In addition to prison time, Koshmider was ordered to pay $781 in fines and fees.

Koshmider’s defense counsel Joshua Covert said he believed justice was not served Monday with his client sentenced to prison.

“I see where the judge is coming from but I don’t think the sentence he laid down was necessary to send a message. I think it is clear that if you have a dispensary you have to be registered to those individuals and it is something that Don knows,” he said after the sentence was given. “I don’t think incarceration is going to help.They wanted three years and I’m glad the judge brought it down to 13 months (for the minimum sentence). I think (Judge William Fagerman) saw a lot of what I was putting forth, but not enough. I really wanted Don walking out of here (Monday) by my side. I thought that would have been justice and I don’t feel we have had justice (Monday).”

Before hearing what his sentence would be, Koshmider addressed Judge Fagerman. With his comments, he told the court and Fagerman that he didn’t mean to break the law and thought he was working within all eight pages of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. He also said he is “pretty vocal” when his life is under attack but that doesn’t mean he advocates for violence or makes threats.

“I go with my bullhorn, signs and whatever I can do on social media,” Koshmider said. “I apologize to any law enforcement or anyone who might have been offended by what was perceived perhaps as threatening, stalking or harassing. That was not my intention. I just wanted to bring shame to those who needed to be shamed.”

Koshmider continued by telling the court he held his head up high and had no feelings of shame on Monday. Instead, he said he had feelings of sadness for his friends, family and the community. He added that he didn’t feel it was a good trade to bring in heroin dealers to go after people involved in medical marijuana, which was in reference to one of the confidential informants law enforcement used to do a controlled buy at his now closed medical marijuana dispensary, Best Cadillac Provisions.

“I like my dog. I like my woman. I like my home,” he said. “I like being at home. I like being free.”

After telling Koshmider his sentence, Fagerman told him, Covert and Wexford County Prosecutor Jason Elmore that he hoped this sent a message to both sides. Fagerman continued by saying he had hoped this case would have been resolved in some other manner and he did not look forward to sentencing Koshmider.

http://www.cadillacnews.com/news/koshmider-headed-to-prison-on-marijuana-conviction/article_29d9ee75-4f4b-5fd1-850e-7deda1c0e3ef.html

bob, i know you pay more attention than i do...

how many dispensary owners have been sent to jail? not many.

carruthers was one. but besides him, cant think of too many others.

agro and her boys still fighting in court, STILL.

how many would you say? less than 20 people? more than 50 ? i dont think its more than 100 people total in michigan. maybe i'm wrong.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:29 AM, bax said:

bob, i know you pay more attention than i do...

how many dispensary owners have been sent to jail? not many.

carruthers was one. but besides him, cant think of too many others.

agro and her boys still fighting in court, STILL.

how many would you say? less than 20 people? more than 50 ? i dont think its more than 100 people total in michigan. maybe i'm wrong.

I know of about 10 people that are or have been sent to jail 

The Lansing 7 (Fed )

jerry Duval and his son ( Fed )

i can look up the others i think i have just about all on my computer 

I was a witness to dons antics at the first meeting of the mmfla board in Lansing. He made a complete a complete spectical of himself and showed nothing but a lack of respect to all involved in the meeting. I'm not surprised they acted as they did with no sympathy. He certainly was not doing patients any favors with his childish behavior.