Wayne Student needs assistance

Angel96

2 hours ago, Angel96 said:

Greetings and thanks for all of the responses, everyone.  A new and follow up question for anyone who wants to answer. One of my husband's oldest friend, who has been smoking since at least the 60s, has never wanted the legalization of marijuana, just the decriminalization of it.  Is that a more reasonable consideration than recreational legalization ?

Decriminalization would give cannabis the same legal status as a tomato plant. This would make it impossible for the state to make huge profits from taxation. If everyone can grow it in their garden why buy from high priced State sanctioned stores? The lawmakers are working from the standpoint of the alcohol model. The end goal is that every transaction is regulated and taxed.

Decriminalization would solve most of the problems without any of the hassle but the State wouldn't get their financial cut so it won't be seriously considered.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:31 PM, Angel96 said:

Greetings and thanks for all of the responses, everyone.  A new and follow up question for anyone who wants to answer. One of my husband's oldest friend, who has been smoking since at least the 60s, has never wanted the legalization of marijuana, just the decriminalization of it.  Is that a more reasonable consideration than recreational legalization ?

some want decrim (which does NOT mean its like a tomato plant). decriminalization simply means no more CRIMINAL laws, but fines and suspensions are A-OK. OHIO has decrim for example which means if you are caught with marijuana its 6 month drivers license suspension and whatever fine and it goes on your permanent record as a conviction.

what i think everyone wants is depenalization. no penalties of any kind. make it like tomatoes. if you sell tomatoes in the store it has to be regulated, otherwise grow at home no one bothers you.

"legalization" is not truly legal. as some states if you possess more than XX amount its illegal. so its not true legalization in any state. i do not know why they perverted the word "legalization".

a good analogy is this: how can possessing 3 beers be legal, but 4 beers is a felony?

Re the medical doctors who are approving the mm cards in Michigan, if they are NOT prescribing (writing mm on a prescription pad), then what exactly is the doctor affirming, other than the patient has one of the conditions that qualifies for an mm card?

from http://www.michigan.gov/mmp 

a dr merely certifies that the patient suffers from a condition or its treatment , and that mm would benefit the patient.

read the certification forms here

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/MMMP_Application_Pkt_601712_7.pdf

here is what the dr has to sign

"By signing below, I attest that the information entered on this certification is true and accurate. I attest that I am in compliance with the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act and associated administrative rules and have a bona fide physician-patient relationship with this patient. I attest that I have completed a full assessment of the patient’s medical history and current medical condition, including a relevant, in-person, medical evaluation. Further, I attest that in my professional opinion, the patient is likely to receive therapeutic or palliative benefit from the medical use of marihuana to treat or alleviate the debilitating medical condition identified above or symptoms associated with that condition."

Have any of you heard this, I mentioned earlier a classmate told me that she heard about a methadone clinic where docs are dropping patients and if they drop dirty (thc), they are not being given their suboxone. Well I heard from a person whose husband suffers from chronic pain (5 year cancer survivor and lots of health issues post chemo). Anyway, he hasn’t been able to obtain anymore narcotics for chronic pain since his last surgery back in 2015), having admitted to the medical docs that he has an mm card, the attitude has been if you want to go the mm protocol, stating that “nothing else” relieves your pain, that will not be able to obtain narcotics, because you’ve already stated on your mm application that you cannot find any pain relief with fda approved means.  What kind of craziness is that?

yes, many clinics hospitals and drs forbid mm use. the usual reason is that they point to its schedule 1 status under federal law, and since a dr needs a DEA license to prescribe narcotics, the FEDS could find a way to take away licenses. although to my knowledge this is very rare for the feds to revoke a license to prescribe. state boards have gone after some drs for recommending mm though. i know they took the license away from dr phillip leveque in oregon , since he certified 3000 patients. he was a good doc, and a ww2 vet.

adding to the problem, the DEA has been cracking down on pain pills, so even non mm using pain patients are having trouble getting regular narcotic prescriptions.

see the people in pain detail this here:

https://www.change.org/p/congress-ease-the-dea-s-grip-on-doctors-allowing-chronic-pain-patients-to-get-the-medications-we-need/c?source_location=petition_show

If if you own a dispensary can you have a bank account?  Wasn’t there some controversy about that in Colorado, but I never heard about this in MI?  Banks are federally insured, are dispensary deposits at risk?  

since dispensaries deal with cash only, and there are federal rules that say anyone dealing with large cash deposits must fill out federal suspicious cash deposit forms, probably not.

Lastly, if cannabis is still a schedule 1 drug, isn’t that what we need to be working on, getting the Feds to reschedule? I mean isn’t an mm card a great risk?  I heard that if your employer receives any federal funding, they “have” to maintain a drug free work place or risk losing their federal funding.  Anyone know any different?  I know the employment challenge of a cable employee in Colorado that was fired was affirmed by the courts.  

some states (about half) have the ability to change laws via petition directly to the people on the ballot. this is how 90% of the medical marijuana laws have been approved. i think ohio and possibly 2 other states were legislature laws. but ohio was only after the people put legalization on the ballot. even if that did fail.

federally there is no "direct democracy". theres no way for people to change laws federally directly.

"The average age of Members of the House at the beginning of the 114th Congress was 57.0 years; of Senators, 61.0 years." 

i'm not sure if you have seen the news stories, a lot of these congresspeople dont even hold town halls to talk directly with people. if you've ever called you talk to an intern, if you've ever written, the best you get back is a crappy form letter. if you visit in person you get brushed off, if you even can get an appointment.

its an interesting thing though, give your representative a call and see how it goes.