MIlegalize

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/13/michigan-pot-petition-fundraising-struggles/107664782/

As of Thursday, paid circulators had collected 250,288 valid signatures and volunteers had collected another 25,732, campaign outreach coordinator Lisa Satori told advocates Sunday at a board meeting for the Michigan chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

note that is valid signatures which are verified by the campaign. so that should be enough to make it over the hurdle, assuming the SOS does not mess around

http://www.thesocialrevolution.org/news/attorney-issues-michigan-marijuana-legalization-fundraising-challenge/

Attorney Issues Michigan Marijuana Legalization Fundraising Challenge

by Rick Thompson/November 14, 2017

GRAND BLANC- Michigan criminal defense attorney Bruce Leach has issued a challenge to other attorneys and business professionals: match my $500 donation to the Committee to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol, and help push the campaign over the top.

“The MI Legalize/CRMLA campaign needs to raise $35,000 as soon as possible to ensure they make it on the ballot next fall,” Leach wrote in his Challenge Letter. “I am personally donating $500 TODAY and I am challenging each and every one of you to do the same!”

Leach’s challenge comes on the heels on an announcement by the CRMLA that it had failed in fundraising by approx. $35,000 and that submission of more than 350,000 petition signatures was contingent upon satisfying this debt. The letter was sent to the email listserv for the Marijuana Law Section of the State Bar Association of Michigan. That group is the largest of its kind in the United States, boasting over 400 members.

Although the letter challenges persons to donate by Thanksgiving, November 23rd, donations are needed in advance of that deadline. November 22nd marks the 180-day limit for signature gathering; should there be a need to turn in signatures later than that date, the campaign will begin to lose validity for signatures submitted in the beginning days of the petition drive.

Campaign spokespeople have offered varying versions of the severity of the crisis, but a campaign officer told the Michigan NORML group on Sunday that a petition turn-in scheduled for today, Tuesday, was canceled due to the outstanding debt and the petition signatures remaining in the possession of the professional signature collection company.

The Leach Challenge Letter is reproduced here:

Dear colleagues,

As you know, the people of the State of Michigan have suffered greatly under the MMMA due to police and legal system abuses.  The MMMA law was poorly written and has been interpreted even worse by prosecutors and judges which has led to thousands of arrests.

The historic groups MI Legalize and CRMLA have been working very hard to gather the needed petition signatures and funds to help fix these cannabis laws in Michigan.

Many of you, if not all of you, make a significant income off the patients and caregivers who come to us for help with their legal dilemmas.

The MI Legalize/CRMLA campaign needs to raise $35,000 as soon as possible to ensure they make it on the ballot next fall.

Therefore, I announce a Thanksgiving Fundraiser Challenge on behalf of these organizations and our goal is to raise the full $35,000 by Thanksgiving.

I am personally donating $500 TODAY and I am challenging each and every one of you to do the same!

We need only 70 total members out of our 400+ strong group to step up and make a real difference in the lives of our clients.

I truly believe when MI Legalize passes we will have the best cannabis laws in the country.

The donors who do participate in this Fundraiser Challenge will be publicly recognized and honored for their contributions and compassion to our clients, patients, and friends who so desperately need our help.

Please click the link here and make your donation today!

Sincerely,

Bruce L. Leach

Law Office of Bruce Leach PLLC

4025 E Hill Rd

Grand Blanc, MI 48439

Cell: 810-275-8899

Those wishing to participate in the Challenge should donate via the link in the letter contained above.