MI approves legalization proposal for the ballot

blackhorse

3 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

With the Board of Canvassers' approval, the state Legislature has several options: it could consider the measure and pass it, in which case it would automatically become law; it could offer a competing proposal for the ballot or it could do nothing and let the issue go to the Nov. 6 ballot.

^^^This is what comes next as I understand it.

Great to see things moving in the right direction!

the CRMLA / milegalize proposal is 12 plants per adult's premises. so 4 adults in one house means only 12 plants at that address.

"cultivating not more than 12 marihuana plants for personal use, provided that no more than 12 marihuana plants are possessed, cultivated, or processed on the premises at once"

you can read it here:

http://www.milegalize.com/2018_proposal_language

we are not sure about the patients and caregivers, if they will be allowed to possess 12 medical plants and 12 recreational plants. but i do not think that will be the case, due to the MMMA saying you are only allowed to possess 12 plants per patient, so if you are a patient-only and only allowed to possess 12 plants medically, you wont be able to have 24 plants total.

although i dont see anything in both of the laws that complicate having both 12 medical and 12 crmla at once, if the police and prosecutors both see 12 plants in each law, you better just stick with 12 plants. otherwise you WILL find yourself defending that in court, all because no one actually reads the law (even some of the prosecutors, judges and police! dont read the laws). 

On down the road we should expect something like this though(from legal Colorado);

• At homes with residents under 21, any marijuana grow area must be enclosed and locked in a separate space that minors can’t access.
  • At homes without residents under 21, extra precautions must be taken to make sure any visiting youth don’t have access to marijuana plants. 

2 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

On down the road we should expect something like this though(from legal Colorado);

• At homes with residents under 21, any marijuana grow area must be enclosed and locked in a separate space that minors can’t access.
  • At homes without residents under 21, extra precautions must be taken to make sure any visiting youth don’t have access to marijuana plants. 

That is really kind of weird considering that adults don't have to lock up their liquor or pain pills. WTF?

11 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

My guess is that "on down the road" we should expect to see, "no home growing".    Law enforcement lobby will be all over this once it becomes law.

(b) within the person’s residence, possessing, storing, and processing not more than 10 ounces of marihuana and any marihuana produced by marihuana plants cultivated on the premises and cultivating not more than 12 marihuana plants for personal use, provided that no more than 12 marihuana plants are possessed, cultivated, or processed on the premises at once;

(i) Possessing more than 2.5 ounces of marihuana within a person’s place of residence unless the excess marihuana is stored in a container or area equipped with locks or other functioning security devices that restrict access to the contents of the container or area.

Any thoughts on these possession limits applying to caregivers with more than 12 plants?

1 hour ago, Easy E said:

Any thoughts on these possession limits applying to caregivers with more than 12 plants?

The MMMA protects patients from all other conflicting laws and limits.

As CRMLA does not touch medical marijuana, the limits found in the CRMLA will not bother caregivers and patients.

CRMLA says that right in the language

2. This act does not limit any privileges, rights, immunities, or defenses of a person as provided in the Michigan medical marihuana act, 2008 IL 1, MCL 333.26421 to 333.26430, the medical marihuana facilities licensing act, 2016 PA 281, MCL 333.27101 to 333.27801, or any other law of this state allowing for or regulating marihuana for medical use.

3 hours ago, t-pain said:

The MMMA protects patients from all other conflicting laws and limits.

As CRMLA does not touch medical marijuana, the limits found in the CRMLA will not bother caregivers and patients.

CRMLA says that right in the language

Thanks for the response! I didn't phrase the question very well. I'm wondering if caregivers who grow more than 12 plants, and who are currently allowed to posses 15oz. will be legally allowed to posses more than 15oz. if " the excess marihuana is stored in a container or area equipped with locks or other functioning security devices that restrict access to the contents of the container or area." ?

It would be a whole hell of a lot easier to consistently supply 5 patients and a patient/caregiver if this is the case when the CRMLA passes. 

Question :

If before 40 days  both the house and the senate with a simple majority were to vote yes on the proposal, then it would become law without having to go to the ballot in November ( I think this will happen - 1. try to stop Democrats from going to vote in Nov.  2. they can make changes  to law w/ just 51% & not 75% . 3  http://michiganradio.org/post/survey-most-michigan-voters-want-recreational-pot-legalized )

When will it become law ?  2019 or sooner?

Edited by Bon Scott

The legislature is not going to act on legalization. Ironically the Democrats are standing in the way. Their theory is that without the legalization on the ballot the voters might vote Schuette in as governor. 

I believe that if the marijuana initiative is on the ballot then whoever the Democrats put up for governor will win.

Voters will overwhelmingly approve the legalization and while they are there voting there is little chance they are going to vote for the most anti pot politician in the state at the same time. 

My further prediction is the ballot initiative will pass by 66%

• 2 weeks later...

I think that legalization and kicking Schuette to the curb go hand in hand. I can't imagine them together. I doubt Schuette would go along with legalization. He has made it so clear that he hates marijuana in all forms. Hates marijuana stores the most. He must be suffering greatly right now. That thought makes me feel all warm and fuzzy after years of reading his hateful comments about marijuana.