If Rec Pot Becomes Legal, what about MM

38 minutes ago, shishka said:

For customers the retail price of medical cannabis will be far cheaper without the additional taxes that will be placed on rec cannabis. 

In fact if the rec initiative passes the 3% tax on medical goes away so medical should get a tad cheaper. 

Far cheaper? I don't think so.

There will be a 15% excise tax on recreational. 

Right now I'm paying 6% sales tax at the dispensary. But they offset that with discounts. 

The important thing is going to be the sorting out as to the quality you are looking for and the price of that specific product you are buying.

Right now it's going for from $80 to $300 an ounce and you really have to work at getting the best deal. 

So the quality versus price is much more significant than any taxes. Taxes are kind of a red herring in the deal. 

Myself I see it a bit differently. If you figure the cost that there is for a grow operation licence, and the lab tests, distributor licence,  and with the dispensaries licences were looking at very high outlays for these  licences, so much the average CG doesn't have  a chance  to enter the fray for business operations.  But im drifting from my point, the folks that get these licences are gonna want to get there cost back ASAP resulting in higher cost for rec. users and a patient that chooses to use a disp,,,add in the taxes and the prices will skyrocket resulting in a lack of sales. the next thing you will see will be an assault on medical cause face it that is were the fingers will point... I mean why do you need medical cause anyone can buy it at the dispensary? ( being sarcastic) Just my perspective on the changes if its passed to legalized.. I wont feel its legal till I can sell it out at the  end of my driveway. LOL 

Didn't happen with medical dispensaries. Their prices and quality are very competitive even after fees and taxes. They don't have the best of the best because that would be too expensive for most everyone other than a grower and their closest people. If a person is willing to accept second tier quality it's very affordable right now near me. For the caregiver growers that already went the production route with second tier strains the dispensaries are eating their lunch because their patients don't need them for second tier quality. 

1 hour ago, compiler said:

Once it becomes legalized, will there be any difference between MM and Rec M?

Why would anyone need a MM card?

Mel

Shows you are a chronic user which may be a defense for a positive THC test while driving. 

I guess it might be the same if you have a huge pile of receipts from the dispensary? 

The important thing would be to have a sobriety test when your driving is challenged. 

We will have to see if there are any differences in the charges that get filed between patients and rec users.

It's going to be up to law enforcement what the difference is. 

If they want to treat it the same then it will be the same. 

5 hours ago, compiler said:

Once it becomes legalized, will there be any difference between MM and Rec M?

Why would anyone need a MM card?

If you are currently growing your own cannabis you will not notice any difference. How the medical dispensary quality vs. recreational dispensary quality shakes out is anyone's guess. Could end up like Colorado where the best cannabis is at the medical dispensary's. Could end up with all medical dispensaries changing over to recreational, it would make more sense from a business standpoint. Especially when you consider the med licenses being granted now are the golden tickets needed to get in the recreational market for the first 24 months after they start excepting applications. 

The CRMLA initiative will give everyone 21+ access to cannabis. Children and young adults in need of medical cannabis would still need a MM card. Any adult 21+ in need of custom tailored high quality medicinal cannabis, who is unable to grow themselves, would need a MM card to legally connect with a caregiver. Unless of course they know someone who is willing to gift it to them instead.

Perhaps the best argument to retain a medical card is for insurance against whatever they come up with to circumvent the will of the voters after it passes. Look what they did to medical. The law still isn't fully implemented.

They may go easier because they are now getting a cut but I'd bet the farm that there's going to be some disgruntled LEO's and prosecutors who are going to be out for blood because of losing their cash cow.

19 minutes ago, Wild Bill said:

Perhaps the best argument to retain a medical card is for insurance against whatever they come up with to circumvent the will of the voters after it passes. Look what they did to medical. The law still isn't fully implemented.

They may go easier because they are now getting a cut but I'd bet the farm that there's going to be some disgruntled LEO's and prosecutors who are going to be out for blood because of losing their cash cow.

Good chance Schuette is governor. 

They can add amendments in 45 days after passing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Prices? I've heard this but I don't know for sure;

"Marijuana is sold for both medical and recreational purposes in Colorado, but it's definitely not sold at the same prices for both purposes. Not only is the cost of flower, concentrates and edibles cheaper for medical patients, but the taxes on those purchases are around 25 percent lower."

https://www.westword.com/marijuana/mmj-card-savings-how-much-cheaper-is-medical-pot-than-retail-9393120

Also a thing to consider is if you get into an accident  and someone gets hurt and they do a blood draw  a patient will be covered due to their medical condition for having thc in their blood stream the recreation user  wont be  currently isnt there a zero tolerance law for drugs  in instances of driving offenses for non patients?