Sign in to follow this  
research

Can licensed social worker be designated caregiver

I am not sure of the best placement for this question however, I want to try to get as 'professional' of an answer as I can, so I am choosing here.

I would like to know if it is legal/ethical for a person's licensed social worker to also be their 'caregiver' in regards to going to purchase marijuana for a client that is homebound and has no other 'safe' options available?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Edited by research

Of course it's ethical. But that's probably not your biggest problem. Ask your boss or you will lose your job(assuming the social worker is the one asking here). 

Edited by Restorium2

I wouldn't do it.  All it takes is for them to disagree with what you say, and they call your boss to dish out the goods.  It would be a conflict of interest, and your boss could argue you are helping the pt harm themselves (your boss is not obligated to feel the same towards cannabis as we do).  Nothing boss could do as long as your dropping clean IF the person was not under your authority.  In your case, I don't know, but I would not touch it with your 10-foot pole.

If you're hoping this will allow you to partake in cannabis, and free you from whizz quiz worries, it will not.  If that test shows positive, they don't care what your excuse is- federally still illegal and they participate with a lot of federal programs

As Ethics go, you should probably not have any non-social worker relationship with any of your clients. this is probably in your social worker manual.

Which means you could continue to be a caregiver, but get another case worker to take this case.