Cannabis helps Crohn's but doesn't reduce gut inflammation

Haven't seen it posted here, but this is quite interesting:

In the first study of its kind, cannabis oil has been shown to significantly improve the symptoms of Crohn's disease and the quality of life of sufferers but, contrary to previous medical thinking, has no effect on gut inflammation.

Up till now it was thought that cannabis worked for many Crohn's patients (and presumably other IBD conditions) because it reduced inflammation. 

In a randomised, placebo-controlled study, researchers from Israel have shown that cannabis can produce clinical remission in up to 65% of individuals after 8 weeks of treatment, but that this improvement does not appear to result from a dampening down of the underlying inflammatory process.

Here is the article with references: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-10-cannabis-symptoms-crohn-disease-effect.html

Edited by zeebudz

On 11/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, Restorium2 said:

It's been proven that cannabis contains beta-carophyllene which works with the CB2 receptor to reduce inflammation. 

I would cut and paste a link here to a Swiss study related to that but this website doesn't support Microsoft products so I can't cut and paste. Google it. 

Well that was the surprising thing. It was thought that relief with Crohn's was due to anti-inflammatory effects of cannabis. But this study (and Israel is no slouch when it comes to cannabis medical research)  didn't show reduction in inflammation as measured by endoscope as well as by inflammatory markers in blood and stool samples (presumably fecal calprotectin).

58 minutes ago, zeebudz said:

Well that was the surprising thing. It was thought that relief with Crohn's was due to anti-inflammatory effects of cannabis. But this study (and Israel is no slouch when it comes to cannabis medical research)  didn't show reduction in inflammation as measured by endoscope as well as by inflammatory markers in blood and stool samples (presumably fecal calprotectin).

Anti-inflammatory effects were just part of the solution.  That is passive. The main relief comes from the calming effects of cannabis. Calming the colon. That's just common sense. 

• 7 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, simplelivingmom said:

Do you folks think that taking suppositories is the optimal way of taking in cannabis for Crohn's? 

They were commonly used as medicine before the government outlawed it. I know that suppositories have helped people with nausea due to chemo but don't have any personal knowledge about Crohn's.

Edited by Wild Bill

• 7 months later...

CBG specifically is 30 times more effective as an anti inflammatory than aspirin. It’s very sparsely concentrated in high THC strains. Some industrial hemp genetics have high amounts of CBG. I give it and buy CBG flower when I don’t have any of my own. It’s great in MCT oil form to add into edibles along with THC and CBD. CBG is excellent for ulcerative colitis, other bowel inflammatory diseases and it also inhibits the growth of colorectal cancer. I recently read a study about CBG from a medical journal about carcinogenesis from Oxford University students. They successfully stopped colorectal cancer cells from growing with CBG

Edited by Supremegorgeousone
Typos!