De-carb before extraction or after for Vaping purposes.

Right. It's the chemistry. Alcohol molecules readily bond water molecules and the only way to separate them is heat. Water in your oil makes it harder to vape but doesn't hurt when ingesting orally.

2 minutes ago, GrassMonkey said:

Okay! Great tip I would have never thought about drying out the medicine before adding the alcohol.

2 minutes ago, GrassMonkey said:

Okay while we're at it, LOL, one more question that kind of popped up last night.

I have a patient who is requesting CBD oil for his anxiety. However I need to make sure he doesn't get high off of it as he will need it at work. I believe this is achieved by simply extracting the oil from the plant with the alcohol, then running it through the extraction machine? Then what I add a carrier oil to thin it back out? If so what should I use? And I understand as long as it's not heated from this point forward he will be getting CBDs but not thc's so it should not give him the high he doesn't want?

No thinning is needed. No carrier oil. Just put some in a gel capsule and have him swallow it. If there is THC in the cannabis it's going to be in the oil and he will feel it.

4 minutes ago, GrassMonkey said:

Okay while we're at it, LOL, one more question that kind of popped up last night.

I have a patient who is requesting CBD oil for his anxiety. However I need to make sure he doesn't get high off of it as he will need it at work. I believe this is achieved by simply extracting the oil from the plant with the alcohol, then running it through the extraction machine? Then what I add a carrier oil to thin it back out? If so what should I use? And I understand as long as it's not heated from this point forward he will be getting CBDs but not thc's so it should not give him the high he doesn't want?

There are strains that are high CBD low THC. The Attitude Seed Company has many available. 

The method you have mentioned can naturally decarb over time, and no longer be non-psychoactive. It would be best to invest into a high CBD strain. THC strains are low in CBD. 

5 minutes ago, Wild Bill said:

If you're heating alcohol to do the extraction it should decarb during the process.

The extraction machine only Heats to about a hundred and seven degrees Max, just enough to boil off the alcohol. It's all done under a vacuum so you can use it safely in your house. I'm not an expert at this so from my understanding the heat would have to be much higher than this in order for it to decarboxylate? Maybe I'm wrong though, like I said I'm no expert, just trying to learn the stuff. Thank you!

5 hours ago, GrassMonkey said:

The extraction machine only Heats to about a hundred and seven degrees Max, just enough to boil off the alcohol. It's all done under a vacuum so you can use it safely in your house. I'm not an expert at this so from my understanding the heat would have to be much higher than this in order for it to decarboxylate? Maybe I'm wrong though, like I said I'm no expert, just trying to learn the stuff. Thank you!

Alcohol at room temp boils at 173F, too low of a temperature to significantly decarboxylate.  (|Under vacuum, your setup is boiling it off at 107F/41C. Same deal. Insignificant decarboxylation. See here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5549281/)

decarboxylationgraph.jpg

19 hours ago, GrassMonkey said:

Every patient is different when it comes to ingesting oil. 

One of my patients uses oil every day at work. Just a tiny amount in a gel capsule. It doesn't make him 'high'. He says it makes for a great day. He used to be hooked on opiates and could barely hold down a job. Now he thrives at work and his family is much happier. Hopefully your patient can do the same. 

20 hours ago, GrowGoddess said:

There are strains that are high CBD low THC. The Attitude Seed Company has many available. 

The method you have mentioned can naturally decarb over time, and no longer be non-psychoactive. It would be best to invest into a high CBD strain. THC strains are low in CBD. 

Some strains that a person would consider 'psychoactive' at one dosage are not at a lower dosage. 

It's a lot of time, work, and a crap shoot to start a totally new strain on the hopes it's what a patient may need.

To start from a seed and make it all the way to oil would take many months.

That would be a serious waste of time if a strain that you already grow would work just as good at the correct dosage. 

Some of us grow high CBD stains for our patients. I have a seizure patient who uses Cannatonic to help with the seizures. Sometimes mixing with a high THC strain.

Star Tonic is another one for a high CBD content.

Most growers do not bother with the high CBD as the demand is very low. 

CBD has been a staple in my garden for years.

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

Some of us grow high CBD stains for our patients. I have a seizure patient who uses Cannatonic to help with the seizures. Sometimes mixing with a high THC strain.

Thanks for the strain recommendations, I will have to look into them. Been interested in running a few high CBD strains to extract and blend with my high THC oils and start documenting results. Can't wait for the legal testing facilities to start operating. Then I can have it all scientifically tested, and start recording and tailor it all accordingly. 
I have a patient that does not care for the high THC oil, no matter how small the dose. I think she would greatly benefit from a high CBD oil for sure. She loves potent buds, can smoke anyone under the table, but just can't do the oil. 

Thanks again, appreciate your input. 

9 hours ago, GrowGoddess said:

Thanks for the strain recommendations, I will have to look into them. Been interested in running a few high CBD strains to extract and blend with my high THC oils and start documenting results. Can't wait for the legal testing facilities to start operating. Then I can have it all scientifically tested, and start recording and tailor it all accordingly. 
I have a patient that does not care for the high THC oil, no matter how small the dose. I think she would greatly benefit from a high CBD oil for sure. She loves potent buds, can smoke anyone under the table, but just can't do the oil. 

You can have your oil tested. I take mine to the dispensary and they have it tested. 

10 hours ago, blackhorse said:

All the epileptic patients I have met require THC, regular strains for their treatment. They all said they tried CBD and it didn't work. They all like really low dosage on a regular day so they are sharp.

I have come to find out that not wanting a buzz just means low dosage, not high CBD.  

9 hours ago, GrowGoddess said:

This advice is just to help your patient, not a measuring contest;

Try not using the quick cold wash for her. The patients that I have met that are like what you describe here like the oil from the long warm wash. The quick cold wash makes them feel bad. If she wants to smoke it then you would have to winterize it. If she wants to eat it then start with a dose she can't even feel any effects and move up from there.