Efficacy of cannabinoids in paediatric epilepsy.

t-pain

Only thing you have to watch out for is dose. If you see a large bottle of cbd oil in the store, it can be a lot of filler and only a few hundred mg of CBD. you need something at least 200mg 2-3x day of CBD to even have a therapeutic effect.

CBD + THC can take less of because they work in tandem.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30402932

There are hundreds of compounds found in the marijuana plant, each contributing differently to the antiepileptic and psychiatric effects. Cannabidiol (CBD) has the most evidence of antiepileptic efficacy and does not have the psychoactive effects of ?9 -tetrahydrocannabinol.

CBD does not act via cannabinoid receptors and its antiepileptic mechanism of action is unknown. Despite considerable community interest in the use of CBD for paediatric epilepsy, there has been little evidence for its use apart from anecdotal reports, until the last year.

Three randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trials in Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome found that CBD produced a 38% to 41% median reduction in all seizures compared to 13% to 19% on placebo.

Similarly, CBD resulted in a 39% to 46% responder rate (50% convulsive or drop-seizure reduction) compared to 14% to 27% on placebo. CBD was well tolerated; however, sedation, diarrhoea, and decreased appetite were frequent.

CBD shows similar efficacy to established antiepileptic drugs.

WHAT THIS PAPER ADDS: Cannabidiol (CBD) shows similar efficacy in the severe paediatric epilepsies to other antiepileptic drugs. Careful down-titration of benzodiazepines is essential to minimize sedation with adjunctive CBD.

8 minutes ago, t-pain said:

Only thing you have to watch out for is dose. If you see a large bottle of cbd oil in the store, it can be a lot of filler and only a few hundred mg of CBD. you need something at least 200mg 2-3x day of CBD to even have a therapeutic effect.

CBD + THC can take less of because they work in tandem.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30402932

There are hundreds of compounds found in the marijuana plant, each contributing differently to the antiepileptic and psychiatric effects. Cannabidiol (CBD) has the most evidence of antiepileptic efficacy and does not have the psychoactive effects of ?9 -tetrahydrocannabinol.

CBD does not act via cannabinoid receptors and its antiepileptic mechanism of action is unknown. Despite considerable community interest in the use of CBD for paediatric epilepsy, there has been little evidence for its use apart from anecdotal reports, until the last year.

Three randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trials in Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome found that CBD produced a 38% to 41% median reduction in all seizures compared to 13% to 19% on placebo.

Similarly, CBD resulted in a 39% to 46% responder rate (50% convulsive or drop-seizure reduction) compared to 14% to 27% on placebo. CBD was well tolerated; however, sedation, diarrhoea, and decreased appetite were frequent.

CBD shows similar efficacy to established antiepileptic drugs.

WHAT THIS PAPER ADDS: Cannabidiol (CBD) shows similar efficacy in the severe paediatric epilepsies to other antiepileptic drugs. Careful down-titration of benzodiazepines is essential to minimize sedation with adjunctive CBD.

Exactly what I have found. The remarkable thing is how small a dose. Just a tiny dab of oil in a gel cap works remarkably well. So little there really is nothing to 'feel' like a buzz. I did get reports of the munchies though. Which is often a plus with patients because they need it. It's so nice to see a patient recover and start eating well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, JohnBlunt said:

I've read that cannabis is on the market for such children right now https://cannasos.com/news/health/medical-cannabis-on-the-table-for-epileptic-children

I think this is right, you need to try to help poor children by any means. I think all these medicines help with epilepsy, but they give sediments and stress on the internal organs of the child, and cannabis has less bad substances in its composition and is natural.

• 5 months later...

I've read your forum, i think you done a good job to share this kind of Forum and also:

Cannabidiol (CBD) shows similar efficacy in the severe paediatric epilepsies to other antiepileptic drugs.
Careful down‐titration of benzodiazepines is essential to minimize sedation with adjunctive CBD.

• 1 year later...

have any other methods been found? or maybe other substances without side effects? I personally discovered another substance with similar effects, but it seems to be without any side effects, I mean, long-term ones. To tell you the truth, all these substances scare me so much so that I'm usually willing to read all the articles available on the internet describing the side effects they do have. I can't use anything until I know it's safe. I actually used best kratom available on the market thanks to my wish to check all info before using something.

Edited by CarlitaMx