SickXsicarioXjon420_710

Looking for a good substrate for my ladies

Ok so we are starting a new room and I’m looking for a good substrate for my plants to sit in while in the net pot and recommendations? Looking to get highest yeilds possible we have an 8 bucket rdwc with a 1000 watt hps vivosun and will be running fox fam dirty doz nuets with auto flowers seeds for the first couple runs any advice etc greatly appreciated we are indoors as well FYI 

i love hydroton.  i just hate cleaning the roots afterwards.  100% COCO is a great alternative and just pitch it after.  I want to use all coco in my titan Flo and Gro system, soon.

I agree with those who advise Hydroton, if briefly: this foamed burnt granulated clay. PH is neutral. Without smell. It has good aeration. Available in the form of small balls or in the form of eggs. The perfectly flat and smooth surface of the round beads of the Hydroton does not allow young roots of plants to be damaged during growth, therefore this form is preferable.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:25 PM, garyfisher said:

i love hydroton.  i just hate cleaning the roots afterwards.  100% COCO is a great alternative and just pitch it after.  I want to use all coco in my titan Flo and Gro system, soon.

I've found the easiest way to clean hydroton is to put it in a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven for awhile. Let it cool and rinse it off. Any vegetable matter left burns off along with any bacteria or potential diseases.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:42 PM, Wild Bill said:

I've found the easiest way to clean hydroton is to put it in a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven for awhile. Let it cool and rinse it off. Any vegetable matter left burns off along with any bacteria or potential diseases.

Bill do you find this method works better with a thinner layer of hydroton rather than a 5" deep turkey tray full???

I'm trying a single layer of hydroton on thin cookie sheets right this moment.  I need 5 gallons worth of hydroton clean and ready. lol

also, what temp are you using?

I never used that much at a time so I always used cookie sheets. It shouldn't matter though the heat should get to all of them. Maybe stir occasionally. I usually set it at 400 deg. Primarily to kill any unwanted organisms that might try to set up shop.