Most successful way to germinate seeds?

hero4u

Hello everyone!    NEWBIE GROWER here!   What is the most SUCCESSFUL way to germinate a seed?  I keep reading drop the seed in a cup of water and push it to the bottom and do it that way?  But i also keep hearing just start it in a cup of soil?  Anyone got any suggestions on whats better?  Thanks

Hi hero4u!  Personally I’ve found what works best for me is to fill a shot glasses with room temperature water, drop your seeds into the water, then place the shot glasses either on an electric warmer mat that’ll keep a steady 70-74 degrees, or on top of a furnace or heat vents, if using a heat mat, place all of this in a dark place i.e. small closet or cabinet, let soak for 24-32 hours but no more. I check the seeds at 24 hours for sprouting and that the seeds have sunk to the bottom. For any seeds that haven’t sunk I’ll push them down with my finger. At 32 hours take all seeds, even if any that havent sprouted out the shot glass and I’ll plant them in a peat pod anyways to see if they’ll sprout. Most of the time they will sprout up anyways. Good luck!

51 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

Wet some paper towels. Lay the seeds on one and top with another. Put in a zip lock bag flat. Put somewhere warm. Like 75 F. In a few days they should sprout. 

I’ve tried & tried the paper towel method but never worked for me...but not with putting it in a zip lock bag...makes sense. Keeps it moist. 

I've used the saucer method and only drawback is keeping the paper towels moist.

Need to spray with water as the paper towels will dry out.

Resto idea sound good. Will try next time I run some seeds.

Use the zip loc to haul cuttings. Wet the paper towels and put cuttings inside and then put in zip locks. Transplant a day or so later and works great.

I also place them in shot glass of room temp water.  I push them down after about 12 hours and after about 24 hours I put them in wet paper towel inside ziplock.  I put that on top of my clone box so it gets just a little heat from the heat mat.  1-3 days they will crack and have a nice tail on them.  I then plant those into whatever media i am using.  Usually a solo cup full of soil with holes poked in bottom for drainage.  Another 1-3 days and they will emerge from the soil.

41 minutes ago, shaner said:

I also place them in shot glass of room temp water.  I push them down after about 12 hours and after about 24 hours I put them in wet paper towel inside ziplock.  I put that on top of my clone box so it gets just a little heat from the heat mat.  1-3 days they will crack and have a nice tail on them.  I then plant those into whatever media i am using.  Usually a solo cup full of soil with holes poked in bottom for drainage.  Another 1-3 days and they will emerge from the soil.

Cool idea👍🏼 Using both methods. I might give this consideration for my next upcoming grow. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT!  Thanks for all the info!  Cant wait to start!   Love this site!   I read about the glass of water method too but also was told you dont want to soak them for 24 hours?  What is the success rate for just starting them in a cup of wet soil?   Just curious.  lol  Thanks again!  

7 minutes ago, hero4u said:

GREAT!  Thanks for all the info!  Cant wait to start!   Love this site!   I read about the glass of water method too but also was told you dont want to soak them for 24 hours?  What is the success rate for just starting them in a cup of wet soil?   Just curious.  lol  Thanks again!  

Wet soil works but it's slower and you can't see what's going on. 

16 minutes ago, hero4u said:

Try both methods out and compare the two. 

25 minutes ago, hero4u said:

Really 36 hrs is maximum soaking time before the seeds start getting waterlogged. 

Ive tried just putting seeds into moist soil/jiffy pods but only had about a 90% successful rate of seeds sprouting. I’ve had much higher success with soaking 24-36 hrs first then putting them in jiffy pods placing them in a tray with a dome and on a heat pad, even if they hadn’t sprouted while soaking, 98-100% success rate. Best wishes!

On 12/18/2018 at 7:48 AM, Restorium2 said:

Wet some paper towels. Lay the seeds on one and top with another. Put in a zip lock bag flat. Put somewhere warm. Like 75 F. In a few days they should sprout. 

Gardener wife does this for all kinds of seeds and also has a great success rate even with 5-year old cannabis seeds (what we are using for our mj houseplants as mentioned in another thread). 

You really don't need to do anything more than this very easy method.

Edited by zeebudz