Hemp firm CEO detained in Florida for carrying lotion, shampoo

KLAW Blog

An article in Hemp Today stated Cannabis activist and hemp entrepreneur Hana Gabrielova was detained and fined $500 in Florida yesterday for being in possession of hemp-based shampoo and lotion.

Gabrielova, a Czech citizen and CEO at Jihlava, Czech-based Hempoint s.r.o., was singled out and detained after a sniffer dog alerted authorities to her luggage upon arrival to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, she told HempToday.

3-hour detention

U.S. Customs & Border Protection agents detained her for three hours, Gabrielova said. They issued the fine after they claimed analysis showed the presence of THC in lotion Gabrielova picked up in California and a Czech made shampoo she’d carried with her on a business trip to South America after flying from California. The officers did not indicate how much THC their test showed, only saying the analysis was “positive,” Gabrielova said.

“I asked them many times to cite the law the fine was based on,” Gabrielova said. “They couldn’t do it. They just kept saying THC is an illegal substance to import. So I got fined for the illegal import of THC in shampoo and lotion.”

Starting a Hemp or Cannabis Business?
Contact Komorn Law Immediately to secure your place in the growing BILLION dollar industry… 800-656-3557.

Getting off easy?

In the end, agents told Gabrielova they were letting her off easy, as the maximum fine for such an offense is $5,000.

“They made me out to be a criminal for using hemp shampoo. That’s insane,” she said. “They took the CBD-only cream which works for my excema, as well as the shampoo.”

The post Hemp firm CEO detained in Florida for carrying lotion, shampoo appeared first on Komorn Law.

View the full article